Any good fixes for a floppy 328 side mirror | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any good fixes for a floppy 328 side mirror

Discussion in '308/328' started by sammyb, Feb 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EricHarseim

EricHarseim Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric Harseim
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eric, Remove the long plastic cover on the back of the base to expose the Allen bolt, remove the bolt, clean the threads, apply the Blue Loctite, and put it back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. EricHarseim

EricHarseim Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric Harseim
    Thanks for the information

4. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    If anyone is looking for a set of hard to find mirrors pictured above PM me for info. I have a set one is new the other is used both in excellent cond complete with all covers. I bought the mirrors many yrs ago as spare for my 308 which i no longer have.

Cheers

5. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    The problem with the mirrors is there isn't enough resistance in the cone and socket even when the screw is tight. Lock tight will work but it takes time to dry and keeps the mirror from being adjustable. If you could increase the resistance in the joint you would be able to maintain the adjustment and not need to tighten to excess. I used the adhesive that holds the credit card on to the application that came in the mail. It's tacky and pliable. Just place some between the cone and socket. Mine has worked for years. I keep a stack of credit card offers in my garage. It will make you happy to get junk mail.

6. EricHarseim

EricHarseim Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric Harseim
    The adhesiv you indicate is a thin double contact?

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I loctite mine six years ago and it never flops and yet, you can still adjust the position today.

8. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    I'm referring to the credit card offers that come in the mail. They usually have a faux credit card attached. If you remove the card you will find it attached by a tacky rubber substance. It can be removed and used for the mirrors. It's a handy material. I keep a few credit card offers in the garage for the adhesive.

skibummt likes this.
  9. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I just fixed this on my 308- Take the allen bolt all the way out, a star washer should come out with it. If not, pick at the inside of the housing until you pull it out. Over time the flat star goes cone shaped and provides no resistance to keep the bolt tight. Put the star washer on a hard surface and hammer away gently until it's nearly flat. Flip the washer over and install on bolt with the teeth pointing out, towards the housing. Put the bolt back in, tighten and marvel at how it stays tight without Loctite.

You're welcome,

-w-