Any Jensen Healey fans? | FerrariChat

Any Jensen Healey fans?

Discussion in 'British' started by Texas Forever, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1974 car from its original owner (who went on a double date with my older sister over 50 years ago) in completely original condition. Car runs, has 150k miles, needs a cosmetic restoration (it has a good repaint in 2013), never wrecked, red, factory hard top, so forth and so on.

Should I pursue it further, or run screaming for the hills as fast as I can?

2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Jensen Interceptor, Hell yeah..... Healey, meh. A unique car when compared to the Triumph or MGB. Lotus engine huge plus. More power and acceleration. Did not make a lot. Join a Healey forum and learn what you can. Could be cheap fun. Hard to source parts for, but out there. I like high miles, as it was enjoyed and loved to get that high. Good luck, but not my cup of tea anymore. British cars just too problematic. Happy New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've considered them before, but never pulled the trigger. Quite a bit faster than the TR-6 of the same vintage and the extra HP probably makes for a a friendlier driver.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #4 ylshih, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    I didn't own one, but two close friends each bought them new back in 1975 or 1976, so I got to watch their ownership experiences, I was shotgun for many trips, and I also got the use of one of the cars for a few weeks while one friend was on vacation and he threw me the keys when he left. They were a fun car for the day, but they were also a British car of the day, with all that entails. Most serious was one had a transmission failure that required replacement in the first 5-10K miles. With 150K miles, your example probably is past any weakness on that. Some electrical problems, but like I said they were British cars. The Lotus engine was pretty solid, don't recall any problems with it. I would expect parts to be pretty rare as not a lot made it over. I expect these issues can be overcome, if you have the willingness.

If you pass on it, I would consider it out of nostalgia, but it would have to be a pretty nice example.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Buy it! You will never have that opportunity again.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Jensen Healey always caught my attention whenever one was near. And I'd stop for a closer look as well. But having a TR8 (owned 1982 - 2006) kept me from ever buying one.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I owned one for over 25 years. It recently sold on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-jensen-healey-jh5-3/

I loved the car, it was my daily driver in college. Easy to work on. Parts are available but some are getting scarce. Like Ferrari’s, you have to change the cam belts, the lower cam cover is tough to seal, and and they feel a bit crude by modern standards. But it’s a very fun car to tool around in. Very British. Back when they were new, one of the advertising slogans was you could be speeding by the time you crossed an intersection. They were expensive too, almost as much as an E-type Jag.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss them in detail, happy to share my history with the car.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The owner is asking $9,500, which is nuts. It is a number 3 car with a hard top. According to Hargerty’s, this makes it a $7,100 car. Because the original owner paid $7,995 for this car (I have seen the invoice), I’m thinking of offering $7,995. Karma, huh? To be frank, I feel petty haggling. I’ve spent more at Ferrari of Houston, but I’m aware of how fast I can become upside down in this car. I’m also aware I will have to be the one who works on it. Frankly, it wouldn’t hurt to lay down my checkbook and pick up a wrench again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    One of my girlfriends had one. Lucas electrical if I remember correctly.

12. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Nothing like a little four cylinder, open-top sports car to remind you why you love motoring. If I had the space, I would consider one just for weekend cruising. If you have the space, time and budget, then enjoy the car for a bit. If you buy it right, you can get out of it for the cost of registration and insurance for a few years ownership.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Prince of Darkness. I used to restore old Triumph motorcycles. The first step was to fit an electronic ignition. Second was to update all the connections. The big problem was vibration. Triumph never figured out how to split a crankshaft.

14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    That's about what I would offer, too. To me, being a one-owner car adds about $800 at most. That's what I would tell the owner if making an offer. If he consigns or auctions the car, his net will not be a whole lot more than a sub-$8K offer and he will have to wait for the money. You can do the deal ASAP.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Motor startup. Actually no. I guess we can't upload quicktime files?

18. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Man, you are buying the story and the relationship at this point. $4500 car with 150k and just the 2 pics I have seen. I have a feeling it is more worn out then nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Hopefully rust won't be a problem. Steels used in the 1970s led a hard life unless kept in a museum.

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    You’ll be upside down the moment you purchase it.

But honestly, that’s not why you buy or don’t buy a car like this.
    You invest in it the same way you invest in a steak dinner.

You’d buy it because it’s fun to tool around in, it’s easy to tinker with, and won’t cost much to maintain.
    It’s unusual so you won’t see another out on the road or at a C&C.
    You’ll keep it for a couple years until the thrill starts to wane.
    You’ll sell it for half of what you paid.

For your investment, you’ll have fond memories of it, maybe some photos to make you smile, but you won’t miss it either.
    Final tally, you’ll have spent about as much as a major on a 355.

Take it for a test spin. If it makes you want to drive it more, buy it.
    Else, look for something more enjoyable.

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  21. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Looks very original, right down to the shift knob and twisted choke cable.
    Only Lucas gremlins I ever experienced were the plastic rocker switches.
    Make sure the fuel line between the carbs has been changed from the original plastic T.
    With 150k miles, I assume they had to replace or rebuild the journal in the middle of the drive shaft? I went with a solid, one-piece replacement. Never had to worry about it again.
    Pulling the engine/trans is an easy one man job (just need a hoist)

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thx

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think I’m in deep, deep trouble. I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about when you mention a “journal.” I’m thinking I might be close to finding out.

24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The original driveshaft is a two piece affair. In the middle is a combination bearing and u-joint type coupling.
    It’s in a housing that bolted to the floor pan.
    Not sure what they call it here, in UK they called them journals.
    Never seen anything like it before or after!

The bearing will eventually wear out.
    There was no replacement part for it, and this was 20 years ago.
    I had a local speed shop fabricate a single straight driveshaft for me.
    They used the two ends of my original and just welded them to a new shaft.
    Cheap, effective, and permanent. Perfect for a college kid on a budget....

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I rescued one with a friend around 1980.

We were young and dumb so when we saw the car behind our local "European" auto shop Joe & Saul's in Cleveland. The car had been sitting there for almost three years after the timing crashed in the motor. The car was for sale for storage fees because the owner was incarcerated. It was a total basket case with water damage to the interior and the floor pans had been rusting away for some time. Cut to the chase my buddy did an over the top build to the car, the engine went to Texas for a rebuild and the car has been a lot of fun for the last 35 years it has been back together. Neat car, but I highly recommend you find a much better example because they are around and pretty cheap. The only picture I have of the car that I can access right now is under the hood. I will hit him up for a picture of the car.

http://www.jensenhealey.com/market/marketplace.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login