Any medical-field related owners out here? | FerrariChat

Any medical-field related owners out here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by asb9987, Sep 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Just wanted to know if there are any owners on fchat that are ina medicine related field, whether be a physician, or surgeon, etc.

Please post, and also tell us the Fcar you have! Thanks a lot, this has been a question haunting me for a long time...

Reason is, I was thinking of beocming a orthopedic or cardio surgeon, but I wante dto know if even jobs like that can give access to luxuries of life such as Ferraris or Lamborghinis. Just wanted to know if I continue down the career path I have chosen wil help me realize my dreams.

2. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    it would be a mistake to choose a career based solely on the kind of car you want to end up owning.

Best wishes. :)

nicholasn likes this.
  3. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    As a Canadian physician, I can assure you that very few of us own exotic sportscars. The cash flow that we generate and our conservative nature are such that even Porsche's will be rare. If you want a Ferrari, go into business and do not choose medicine because you would be making a big mistake, both for yourself and your patients.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The situation in Canada and the US differ for the field you are looking into.

5. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Difference between a physician's income and a buisness man's income is the timing.An average physician doesn't start making good money until he's into his late 40's/early 50's where as the later will start making money as soon as the buisness picks up and that could be as young as low 30's.
    I honestly don't think an MD would have any problem owning an exotic but generally speaking they get so busy with their profession that the car is not a priority for most of them.
    Btw good specialities for money while still having time to enjoy it would definately be Derm/ENT/Plastic surgery,hope that helps.....

6. HIGHROLLERM85

HIGHROLLERM85 Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Are there any psychologists around here who own as much as a Lamborghini Gallardo? I don't think I will ever afford a Ferrari because of the inflated prices, but I do think I will be able to afford the equlivant of a G if I work hard. I plan on majoring in psyc and am wondering If I will ever be able to purchase a Gallardo. If I can't afford an exotic car than I will just buy a sportbike because I want a fast vehicle.

7. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Let me clarify. I wasn't basing the rest of my life simply on the type of car I wish to own. I just wanted to see if any MDs here actually owned exotics. Ofcourse I wouldn't be a physician just for the sake of building up money for the car. To be a doctor requires a lot of dedication, I am well aware of that as in my family there is a physician and a dentist.

I'm at the point in my life where I need to consider what I should do. I've narrowed it down to a Law/MBA combo or an MD. The more I think about it, the less I see myself as an MD (I love biology and human anatomy, but I don't think the career will satisfy me for life). I also love the idea of working with companies in financial tasks, and I like writing in that powerful, professionaly style. Infact, several of my teachers have recomended Law to me, dunno why I didn't give this career an honest thought until now...

Sory about going off on a tangent but yea, I didn't want any docs in here to get the wrong idea that I wanted to be an MD for the sake of owning an exotic.

8. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    I am a doctor.
    I own my own clinic
    I a have a testarossa
    I am in Canada

Loving human anatomy and biology ain't gonna even get you past the medical school interview. You really have to want medicine to not only get into the training, but to keep you in there.

In medicine you can make good money, great money or exceptional money even if your "just" a family doctor (like me)

I love my job and that is what keeps me going to work daily. Not for a car that I can only drive 6 mo per year

9. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well stated... As a perfusionist, I work with 4 cardiac surgeons. None are "filthy rich", but they all make very good money by 'normal' standards - the hayday of cardiothoracic surgery has passed, though, so if you're interested in making Mucho Dolares, look elsewhere...

10. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    You didn't read my post. Look again.

11. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Not directed explicitly to you. Unfortunately there are a lot of people reading this thinking " hey why don't I just become a Doctor and then I get a ferrari."

just want them to make sure they realize this is by no means the case

12. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003

my suggestion would be to invest in English cattle...yeah that's it... all in the piggy bank on those wonderful english cows. You'll get an F car in no time

13. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Right. I honestly don't think I ever got up one day and said, "hey, I'll become a doctor!" I'm pretty sure it was my grandparents and my mother who've drilled it into my head since before I was born.... haha, no seriously, they've been slamming it on me ever since I can remember..

I've always thought that I'd enjoy doing Law, or business, something in the corporate world. I always felt I belonged down there in NYC/Wall Street or something, never pictured myself doing knee peplacements on old ladies. Thanks for your input. I was simply cunducting a small survery for personal interests.

14. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    speaking STRICTLY about income, making enough money as a physician to own an exotic is up to that individual person. There are many different avenues in medicine, some more lucrative than others (and im not speaking about specialities) ie private practice, academic, ect. and the location where you practice. In many ways its like being a good business man, especially if you have your own practice. I know some docs who do ok with their own practice, and i know others who run their practice so well that they generate a huge income.

then again, remember that in all reality, there are many people who can afford F cars....there just arent many who are willing to spend that much money on "just a car". (considering that you can start buying 308 GT4s below 20gs)

15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I started in medicine under parental pressure. Got 2 years into school, realized that I didn't like seeing patients, and certainly didn't want to build my life around it. But by that time I was $50,000 in debt, and the money was due if I just left school. Luckily, I stumbled into Pathology (not forensic path - that's different) and now find myself in what may be the greatest job ever created. But that was luck...

I am just now (5 years out of residency) at the point that I could afford a reasonably new F-car (355, maybe a 360) though it would still be quite a stretch. Hard to get my mind around spending that much money on a car when the house is not paid for, but hey, you only live once. And in my job (mostly cancer diagnosis) I get reminded of that every day. Just sent out a report of metastatic melanoma in a 30 year old woman. Stuff like that makes you spend it while you've got it.

The moral of the story: Do what you like in your job, not what others expect of you.

Study hard, work hard, play hard.

Viper830tt likes this.
  16. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    cardiologist with an ugly four headlight 330 GT. Just joking about the ugly part.
    Don't choose medicine for the money though...big mistake

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    When I was buying my car, the dealer was somewhat surprised I was an internist. Something along the lines of, "Gee, you are the first internist we have sold a ferrari to in a long time..."

In terms of income, a cardiothoracic/ortho/neuro surgeon can buy just about anything. If you can't, you are doing something wrong...most of my aquaintences are in the 800,000$+ range... National average is likely 400k$ plus...

Next down the rung is GI and cards... 250-350 ish$...

Then you have surgeons/urology/general/vascular/optho/etc. Range from 200,000$ to multiples of that....

Then of course...internal medicine/FP, path,psych, etc...

These numbers are based on national figures...

So for you aspiring doc's, thats the reality of it. Sounds like a lot, eh? Well, it isn't. Especially for the lenght of training, debt load, and general misery of it... Medical schools have tons of vacancies now, getting in shouldn't be that hard...

Of course there are many exceptions to the rule. But quite frankly, going into medicine to make money is misguided - it ain't worth it... Going into medicine for just about any reason...ain't worth it.

Do yourself a favor...do something else...

http://www.memag.com/memag/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=112482

18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Medicine is a tough business (yes, it is a business). You have to REALLY want to do it because something inside you says you should, not because you could potentially make pretty good money. Many of us docs are essentially glorified waiters and waitresses... "Can I help you? Oh, you would like to order a CT scan? I would recommend a side of blood tests with that..."

Also consider this.... I got my first "real" paycheck when I was 32 years old (and med school was well over 130K).

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Lets see...

If I ddin't go to college...I would have saved 100,000$ (room/board)

If I didn't go to medical school I would have saved 150,000$ (room, board)

If I didn't go to residency, I would have made more than a measly 30,000$ for 100 hour work weeks, for 3-4 years...

If I didn't do chief residency...ditto, for 1 year.

Now, lets take the time value of money. If I had that hypothetical 250,000$ I spent on an education...combined with the 12 years I misspent on that education...HMMM. How much money might I have?

Lets see...if I got a job paying 40$ per hour...say a plumber. worked 100 hour weeks...

40 hours at 40$, 60 hours at 80$ (overtime...union rules, you know...)= $326,000 PER YEAR... Ok, some will argue you can't work 100hr weeks. Go blow. We all did it.

Now, lets say I worked 12 years....hmmm...about 4 million or so. Lets say I invested some of that money...during the bull market no less...

Of course add the 250,000$ misspent on education, compounded at 10%...thats another 500-600,000$...

Gee...I am so glad I went into medicine...

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    When I was in college I was looking at Ferraris at the autoshow and I told the sales guy I would buy one one day. He asked what I was going to be, and I said "cardiologist" and he winced a little and make a hissing sound.
    If you want to buy nice cars, ask James G. how he made all his money, or John Houghtailing (hope the Shah's Muira survived NO).
    Of course, you can become a doctor and keep buying powerball tickets.

21. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    According to "The millionaire Next Door", most multi millionaires are either business owners, real estate investors, or inherited it. Next up was the stock market, lawyers, etc. I believe that docs made up less tha 1-2% of millionaires surveyed...

Docs are seen as "spenders" not "savers." From what I have seen, thats accurate. There are docs at our hospital making 400k$+ that had to have the hospital COSIGN a house loan. Holy cow. Apparently pretty typical...

22. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Wow, amazing input guys. Really apreciate it. I'm just sort of stuck between doing a Law/MBA combo (something in Finance...) vs. MD (hopefully orthosurgery)... Thanks for all the figures and opinions.

23. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    I'm an emergency medicine physician and I make enough to afford a 360 spider and a few other toys. I'm only 35 years old so.... it definitely can be done. I've got plenty of time for my other hobbies because I only work 14 days per month with zero call. Would I choose this profession purely on the income potential... absolutely not. My wife is a general dentist and I'm no where near what she produces. The best thing to do is pursue a career that you are most interested in and if that fails ..... go for the one with the highest income potential. You only live once so make the best of it while you're here.

24. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Wow, a dentist makes that much in the USA? My dad is a dentist (in Canada, our taxes are rape.....) but he doesn't own his own practice, which is probably why he barely tops into the 100k range. Dentistry is a viable option too, Ilike the hours the job gives, and it's not that demanding or stress inducing as most MD related careers are.

25. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Do what you love, work hard and the rewards will come. DO NOT choose a career because of potential income. You will end up burning out and be very unhappy. You will also meet people that took different paths and make more money than you so you will end up second guessing yourself.
    If being a doc is in your blood then thats what you need to do. Find a specialty that fits your interests and personality and go with it. Most of the hard working docs in my area can afford an exotic by the way.