Any real solution to brakes squealing? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any real solution to brakes squealing?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tatoweb, Oct 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. micah coley

micah coley Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    micah coley
    Which ferrari do you have? If your car has the old pads that over lap onto the center of the rotor, the pads may be binding in the calipers. I have another video you should watch. Usually, if the method I just showed in the above video doesn't work, you have a damaged pad and rotor. The new 488 and sf90 have different pads that don't cause this damage

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I have a 458

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. micah coley

micah coley Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    micah coley
    First, remember, the rotor is going through the same low heat cycle as the pad, but they are much, much stronger so if you have a lot of miles on the rotors, you will need to repeat the process many times to burn off that outer layer and it might already be too late. That's what brembo developed the tool I talk about for. The Friction surface of the pad and the rotor both must be healthy.

The 458 also has the flawed pad design from the second video. Look at the inner most part of the rotor (closest to the hub) where the pad touches. If there is a grooved step, then the rotor is no good and the pad will also have a groove and it can bind and cause gaps and vibration.

Have you ever taken it to a shop to fix the squeal? I see most other techs adding brake grease to slide pins and contact points and this is a big NO! Brake grease that is not sealed from the brake dust will collect that dust and then bake into a "cement" that prevents proper movement any again bind the pads. If you haven't had the brakes changed in a long time, you should have them cleaned from all the grease, grime, and debris that collected over time.

And just remember, if you have 10 years and or 15k plus miles on a set of pads, the pads are no good, period. Just because they have material left, it's gone through way too much oxidation due to time, heat cycles due to miles and deterioration due to collected grease and other agents all over public roads.

I wish you could bring your car to me, and I could easily tell you which of these things it is, however, I strongly suspect your rotors and pads are very old and unfortunately not calibrated for the proceq carboteq to validate my point. That car I tested with the tool at the very end of the first video, showed it was almost 20 percent worn out with only 2 years abs 2k miles.

4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Rexcat458 and AD211 like this.
  5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting thread…

My ‘15 458 has its original pads and rotors and they have never squeaked. I am not the original owner, so my experience is limited to about 20 months of NA V-8 Ferrari bliss. The dealer has inspected the pads/rotors and indicated there are no issues during annual maintenance visits. It is still under warranty until 2022.

I only clean the pads and rotors with de-ionised water and when washing the car, I use shields over the tires to prevent any of the soap, or related foam cannon products from touching the pads/rotors.

I do not use any tire shine products, or anything else when mounted but the de-ionised water. I should note that I drive my 458 regularly in mixed use, stop and go and long stretches on the Interstate.

Another poster indicated that there were no differences in pad/rotor materials in the 458 series, so that would seem to leave cleaning/care protocols and usage specifics as possible variables.

I used to get some squeaking on one of my SonderKlasse MB cars, so I know it is a pesky problem. Hopefully, we can reveal something to shed a bit more light on this subject.

Cheers!

6. DETAILMD

DETAILMD Rookie

Apr 22, 2021
    billings, MT
    Full Name:
    STEVEN KUCHURIS
    i JUST GOT MINE IN mAY AND MINE SQUEAKED FOR THE FIRST WEEK OR SO -- HASNT HAPPENED SINCE AND I DIDNT HAVE TO DO ANY of the stopping routines mentioned above, maybe i'm just fortunate?