News

Any thoughts on Aston Martin as a DD?

Discussion in 'British' started by arachnyd, Aug 28, 2020.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I was thinking about picking up an older Vantage V8 (2007-2008 based on my research), or possibly a DB9 (but I think the vantage is a better DD?)

Don't know anyone who has ever had one except the DB7s- Seems like they hold up well as a DD, and have a manual transmission which is one of my requirements.

Thought I'd ask on here!

2. calder1

calder1 Formula 3
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I drove a rapide for a couple of years as a dd and it was fine apart from a couple of minor electrical issues.

arachnyd likes this.
  3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    could you expand? what year, how many miles, how much maintenance/ cost, like best, like worst as a DD?
    that would be great info. 4 doors rapide in my list

4. calder1

calder1 Formula 3
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    My car was a 2012 with about 28k miles . Drive it 2 years as dd and to be honest the maintence was low . The issues I had was the passenger door window would go down when the door was opened but always got stuck and would not go back up , I had to the boot the battery every time . Towards the end I had an issue with the main dash not powering up when I started the car then would come back to life about 5 minutes into the drive . Those were the 2 issues other than that I enjoyed the experience .

arachnyd likes this.
  5. Zeus

Zeus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I use my manual V8 Vantage as a DD for 7 months a year (and store it for the other 5 months on a battery tender). No mechanical or other issues whatsoever. Just annual services, that's about it. Bulletproof reliable!

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've got a DB9 Volante with a manual transmission. Lovely ride. No issues. Have a DB7 Vantage as well. A whole different ride - a bit retro. No real issues with it either. Both are V12s and pull like freight trains. Not quite the same as the 550, but close enough and sound great. You can still smell the leather in both cars - even with the tops down. Astons are always a class act...

7. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I traded my 2005 DB9 with 47,000 miles. I now have a 2012 Virage with 30,000 miles. No problems with either one.

Joe

arachnyd likes this.
  8. Alpintourer

Alpintourer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    If I'm not hauling a trailer with bikes or kayaks, or taking two more couples out to dinner in my Ford Flex, my 2009 DB9 is a DD with a 360 Spider being my primary exotic. The DB9 is a joy to drive, lots of luggage room if you add in the rear sets and quite comfortable on long weekend getaways.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  9. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Chattanooga, TN
    Had a DB9 as a daily for about a year — mechanically reliable, just annoying electrical gremlins : Dead battery for no reason, door / trunk open light would come on at random times ( inclusive at high interstate speeds, always fun), radio wouldn’t work at times. All very random and dealership could never sort them out. Car always plugged in charger. Figured it was too finicky for me as a daily. Newer ones may be very different, mine was a 2006. Also found the seats uncomfortable for long rides but believe they updated seats in 2008 or 2009(?).

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yup. 2007 or newer...