Any 'Zappa' fans? | FerrariChat

Any 'Zappa' fans?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Apr 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    A few days ago... I was just thinking about why this has never happened yet...And while I'm checking out the Ticketmaster upcoming concert alert E-Mail. What do I see? "Zappa plays Zappa" The "Tour De Frank" Coming to the Auditorium Theatre on Sat Nite. June 17th., at 8PM. I can't believe it! I am PSYCHIC!!! (No, Skip...thats PSYCHIC...Not Psycho....but...sometimes...;) )

Frank Zappas sons, 'Dweezil' and 'Ahmet' are on Tour playing their Dads Tunes! How cool is that! Check out their website: www.zappa.com Fun stuff! Brings back alot of great old memories....Flashbacks, maybe...?...;)

If you are a Guitar fan. Ofcourse 'Steve Vai' is with them. And you know that he is one of the best Guitarists out there....And that I have ever seen, no doubt! 'Dweezil' is a kick ass guitarist in his own right, too. I think some of the old "Mothers of Invention" band members are with them, too. And they said that "you never know who'll stop in...."...:)

Tickets just went on sale yesterday. So there are probably some great seats still available. (We got 4th row in the Orchestra section....:) ) And if you do decide to order some. Make sure that you use the secret password....You can find it on their Website...I'm not telling!

Just thought I'd pass it along.....:)

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Very interesting! Even more so because I've been talking about Zappa recently with my neighbor. The story is, he was playing some from his ipod while we were hanging out. It dawned on me that, for a guy who loves guitar and and dabbles with playing, I've never explored Frank Zappa. So he just loaned me some CDs and I've been checking them out. Now, I'm a guy who can really appreciate the irreverent, but Zappa really runs hot and cold to me. He'll go from a terrific jam to just making noise in the snap of a finger. He was a genius, but just couldn't resist seeing how far he could push the listener. But when it was good, it was great!

3. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    "What is the ugliest part of you body?... It's got to be your mind!!" - Frank Zappa

4. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    phi zappa crappa :D:D

5. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    That is kool that Steve Vai is touring with them. "That should be a great show.
    Zappa did some really "out of the box" stuff and left a his mark on guitar playing as whole.

Frank you are going to have to post details.

Thanks.

Vince

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey, just go to the show! How often is something like that going to come around? This is probably it....for a very long time, anyway....And the Auditorium Theatre has great sound. (My very first Concert in 1974... I was 14... was there. I saw the just newly formed 'Bad Company' opening up for "the incredible...'Black Oak Arkansas!' "....:) (I love those guys too! I actually met Jim "Dandy" Mangrum and did a shot of Jack with him. Got and Autographed picture and a B.O.A. guitar pick. www.blackoakarkansas.bigstep.com And one of the BEST Rock Drummers around...Tommy Aldridge... started out with them. Before playing with Pat Travers. Ozzy. Whitesnake. Ted Nugent. And who knows who else....:) )

And, this Zappa show is the night before Fathers day. And on a Saturday Night. So, we just made it as my kids Fathers day gift to me....:) Then, we have Fathers day wide open the next day to hit some Carshows. Have a BBQ...Ribs, methinks....And spend some time with the young 'uns...:)

Yeah, I must agree with you there Jack. I do like most of Zappa's work. But there are a few pieces that are a tad too obscure even for an old burnout like me....;) But the Guitar playing is great....between Frank and Steve Vai. And, Dweezil now is very good, too. Though he did have some great teachers in his Dad and Stevie Vai. So "Live" it should really be an incredible show. And seeing that my kids can't see Frank Zappa. This is the next best thing....And I'd like to expose them to the Works of FZ. I have a few CD's around the house that I play once in awhile. And my kids like it, and have asked me "Who (more like "What") is that, dad?"...:)

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  8. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    #9 screentime, Apr 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had heard about this being played overseas, but to my surprise it comes home baby! I'll definitely be there. One of my clients used to distribute Frank's movies, so I'll probably get some good seats, and I've been in contact with Dweezil regarding possible restoration of Frank's films (200 Motels, Baby Snakes, etc.) and releasing them in HD. Frank's music had a MAJOR impact on my playing, along with the alumni from his band and the usual suspects. Here's a pic of Steve Vai and me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh Yeah! Steve Vai is definitely one of my favorite Guitarists, too. I've seen him when he was playing with 'Whitesnake'. And I've seen him at the House of Blues twice. So, this is really going to be a treat! And Dweezils style is similiar.

Yes, check out their site....www.zappa.com They will be in Europe for a while, then heading over here.

10. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    Good stuff guys....
    I have to see if I can make it out to this one. Not sure what the ticket situation is but I will have to investigate.

Thanks.
    Vince

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    For sure! There should be plenty of tickets available. Don't forget to check the Zappa website for the secret password. I believe that if you use it, you will get much better seats than anyone else that doesn't.

I can't really see it selling out or anything. Not too many Zappa fans under the age of 30-35 I don't think. (Too bad-their loss....:( ) Mostly old hippies....Like Skip and Bill...;) And some of us "Tail end Hippies"...:)

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #13 bill365, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When speaking on the subject of age, do not, repeating, DO NOT, utter Skip's and my names in the same sentence.

And Frank, by the way, how many candles may we be placing on your cake this year?? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ooops! Sorry, Mo....LOL!

...18....again.....(sigh....)

14. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    To imply that the "Old Skipper" and I, are in the same realm of years experienced, in some circles, would be regarded as more than sufficient cause for duel!!! :)

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No, I didn't mean it THAT Way!!!....:) Skip was probably a Beatnik back in the late '50's and early '60's. (Greaser,maybe? With the slicked back hair. T-Shirt with his pack of smokes rolled up in one of the sides of the short sleeves. Baggie pants....Nah!...:) )Then turned into a Hippie in the early to mid '60's. Then, you were probably a Hippie in the late '60's early '70's. And I was a tailend Hippie from the mid '70's on.....:) But, once a Hippie, always a Hippie....Regardless of Biological age...:)

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sean, that's really cool. I wish I could play well enough to say "So and so inspired me." If I did, whoever it was would probably make me stop saying it:)

Sounds like we may have to have ourselves a little 'ol FerrariChat get together of a different nature here. Plus, I'll qualify for Father's Day, too!

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sean, let me know if you can get a line on any decent tickets. The more I think about this, the more I'd like to go see it.

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Jack, are you guys having a baby? When? Sounds Fantastic! I love being a Dad. Best thing that ever happened to me in my whole life! All though....Little Miss 14-almost 15- year old daughter pushes it once in awhile......:( And, it's just beginning.....having a teenage Daughter.....YIKES!!!!:( I am scared....VERY Scared!

If you order the Tickets through their site, they tell you the "Secret Password" to put in when you order. I believe that they have Reserved better seats for their Fans who use it. (It is the late Mr. Zappa's first name, BTW....) They have a little box on the Ticket order form on the website where you put it. I actually received my Tix today in the Mail. We have row DD in the Orchestra Section just to the left of the Stage as you are facing it.

Yeah, it should definitely be alot of fun, no doubt!...:)

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

You are what you is ...

- Joes Garage

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Why...if she were my daughter I'd...Why...if she were my daughter I'd...

What would you do, Daddy, what would you do?

- Freak Out!

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'll check that out. We were due the 20th, so next Wednesday is when they'll induce if necessary. We're having a boy, and so far everything has been going perfectly. Just hoping for something to happen between now and Wed.

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey! Congratulations! Yeah, it is definitely a cool thing. And, since my own boy has been able to. He's been coming along with me to Car Shows, Cruise Nights, Drives, whatever. It is a neat thing seeing his eyes light up and the different cars. And now, he is learning the different Makes, Models, and Years of Cars. I love it!

I used to take my daughter, too, when she was little. But now, she wants nothing to do with it. Yeah....until next year when she gets her Drivers License....Yikes!!!!

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The "Zappa plays Zappa-Tour de Frank" show is Tonight at 8:00PM at the Auditorium theatre. I believe that there are still tix available. Especially since Ringo Starr is also playing tonight.

We are going!!! Can't wait!!!...:)

24. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    That was an amazing show. It constantly got better. I only wish Vai and Bozzio played the entire show, otherwise it was near-perfect.