Anybody ever seen, driven, or owned a Manta? | FerrariChat

Anybody ever seen, driven, or owned a Manta?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tommott77, May 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was watching the original 'Gone In 60 Seconds' this weekend and one of the cars that HB Halicki stole was a 'Manta', or what is referred to today as a 'Manta Mirage'. For those of you unfamiliar with these cars they were more a less a 'kit car' from the late 70s and early 80s that was based off of McLaren CanAm racers. These things were mid-engined, 1900 lb cars, and were typically powered by small (or even big) block Chevy muscle....just like the McLaren CamAm cars. My first experience with these cars was seeing one for sale in the "Collector Car Trader" over ten years ago for $5000 that had a big block Chevy. Watching that movie rekindled my interest.

Not really at all into 'kit cars' but the origin of these cars is much different than your typical 'kit car'. Apparently it seems that the designers, brothers Brad and Tim LoVotte, actually had a hand in building the bodies for the original McLaren M8s, and had spare molds and chassis around the shop when designing their Manta Mirage. Throw in the Chevy power and you have a fairly faithful recreation of a McLaren CanAm car as opposed to a 'kit' IMO. The cars were built to quench the thirst for those who wanted CanAm racers for the street.

Curious as to whether anybody here has ever seen, driven, or owned a Mirage? Curious to see how well these things were built (some were built by the LoVette brothers and others were not). Also curious as to whether if these things could actually be properly setup for some track days? These things would be a monster on any road course or perhaps even a auto-x if they could be setup to handle worth a darn. Also these are quite rare, and with the lineage going back to the original McLaren CanAm cars these things could have some collectability qualities down the road that you would typically not see with a kit car.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ahh, I thought you meant Opel Manta -a way cool car I'd like to have now.

xotik, 71Satisfaction and MalcQV like this.
  4. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #5 tommott77, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #6 ApexOversteer, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
    That is actually a Manta Montage, rather than a Mirage. The Montage replicated the McLaren M6GT, where the Mirage replicated the M8. The Montage (albeit modified) is probably most famous as the Coyote, as seen on Hardcastle And McCormick.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #7 tommott77, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
    Actually you are half right. That is a half Mirage half Montage (front is a Mirage and rear is a Montage)......
    http://www.priceofhistoys.com/2008/06/11/customized-manta-mirage-switzerland/
    ........I guess it is the longtailed 'Le Mans' version. Good for a couple more MPH down the Mulsanne straight ;-)

Have you even seen any of the Mantas in action? Curious to see how robust the chassis is and what kind of running gear the car typically ran aside from the Chevy small block/Corvair drivetrain?

7. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    I want one... How much you think? Actually, thinking about it I'm guessing anyone over 6feet would hardly fit?

8. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There was actually a long wheel base version built to accommodate 6fters. There is what appears to be a complete car on craigslist for $25k. It seems that there have been some projects on ebay over the years that start at around $10k. If I ever thought about buying one I would buy a project car to leave some money in the bank towards a track ready McLaren M8 build. Bear in mind that these are quite rare kit cars, some being built by the LoVitt brothers and others not. So expect to see a large variance in price and build quality if anybody ever starts a search in earnest for one.

9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  10. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Pretty cool site. The registry needs to be cleaned up and updated a bit as some of the folks that I contacted that had their cars listed there for sale had sold them many, many years ago. Still a pretty impressive community for such a rare, relatively unknown car though. A couple of guys have taken the M8 replication to epic proportions, but there are still many cars that look like they are in need of some love.

11. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    #12 manta22, Jun 25, 2011
    The photo # 8 is a factory (Manta Cars) photo of their showroom Mirage; CA license # "MANTA 2" I have owned this car for about 20 years.

Regarding your comments above, I am in the process of building another Mirage for Bonneville-- it has "uneven stacks" but not on Webers-- they are on a Crower fuel injection manifold. The engine is a 383 aluminum-block Donovan mated to an inverted Porsche G50 transaxle. There is a full roll cage-- required by the SCTA.

12. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Wow, that really does look like the McLarens! I've seen the Coyote from Hardcastle & McCormick. It was most likely a replica, but if it was, it was done incredibly well.

Chris

13. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Chris;

The "Coyote" in the Hardcastle & McCormick was, as ApexOversteer pointed out, a slightly modified McLaren M6GT replica from Manta Cars. This was their "Montage" while the "Mirage" was an M8 replica but made into a coupe rather than an open cockpit.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

former owner: 250GTE Series II
    250GTE Series III

14. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Oh I know it was a McLaren replica, my friend. I just meant that the Coyote I saw was probably not the exact same example used in the TV show, but a replica of the TV show car itself.

Chris

15. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Yes, I think that you are right. One thing-- the original Coyote was what you described but later in the H & Mc series they changed the Coyote to a butt-ugly modified DeLorean because Brian Keith had trouble getting in & out of the Montage.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Ex: 250GTE Series II # 2601
    250GTE Series III # 4209

16. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Cool project. More shots?

17. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    #18 manta22, Jun 27, 2011
  18. CanAm Man

CanAm Man Rookie

Jul 21, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Ken W
    #19 CanAm Man, Jul 21, 2011
    My car's another variant of the Manta, but with a custom built chassis, small block Chev (355 cu in), twin turbo's and intercoolers, inverted Porsche 930 transaxle, Corvette uprights and brakes, active traction control. Gearing and HP will make this an "honest" 200 MPH streetcar. I've had the bare chassis to about 160 MPH. I still have a lot of body work and paint ahead of me....

It's rapid. 0-60 mph in under 2.7 seconds, to date

Fun project, so far!

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Very, very cool thread.

How does the Manta kit compare to the quality Lola replicas out there?

I have always been fascinated by these.

20. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    I typed a long reply but I guess I took too long to do it so it thought I had not logged on (I had) and the post was not uploaded. Arrrggghhh-- I'm not going to do it over.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is just crazy cool!

22. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.