Anybody go from 458 or 488 to an F12? | FerrariChat

Anybody go from 458 or 488 to an F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by PhilNotHill, Jul 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Would like to know your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Found nothing in search on this.

2. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    488 Gtb to F12, what do you want to know?

3. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Handling, sound, fun to drive?

4. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    The 458 in my opinion especially the spider is more fun to drive than the F12. The 458 is more tossable, handles like its on rails, the F12 is much, much faster but its a big heavier front engined V12. Hard to exploit anything near the potential of an F12 on the roads in the US, in Germany yes, or on a track. Can't make the comparison yet with the 488, its ordered but hasn't arrived yet.

x z8 likes this.
  5. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    The sound of the F12 is out of this world.

6. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    The two cars are very different, F12 is a grand tourer with super car performance, it is the flagship car with NA V12 engin that sounds amazing. F12 is extremely powerful but can also be driven in a very relaxed style, it's comfortable, easy to use every day, better visibility, getting in and out is easier...

488 feels more like a super car because of the shape, it's low , you can see the engin behind you, it feels very stable on the road , it's also very powerful ...
    But I didn't like the engin sound.

F12 cabin just feels more special compared to 488.

There is a satisfying feeling that you will get when you buy the f12, because you know that this is the flagship car, meaning the best production series car they make.

Good luck to you!

ait_z28 and x z8 like this.
  7. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    I just went from a 458 to an F12. It's another league all together. A monster of a car versus a go cart :)

The F12 is just so much more in every way.

I had my 458 for about 18 months and averaged 225 miles a month. I looked the other day and I am driving the F12 twice that, 450 a month. And I have a Macan Turbo as a 'daily driver' which is no slouch.

Best car I have ever had.

If you can afford it, do it, and don't look back.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It depends what you like. The 458/488 is much more wieldy and balanced. The 488 sound is fine, not like the F12 fine but fine nonetheless. The F12 is 'comparatively' hopeless on track. Its GT credentials render it a bit too remote in terms of response and handling, the weight being something of an issue when compared to the mid cars.

If you only drive on the road, and value a car that is very usable, the F12 would probably be the pick - somehow front engined is much more usable than mid engined. I think this has something to do with the seating height - you are placed a little higher to see over the front mounted engine, whereas in a mid car, you sit low in the scuttle, which has visibility and ingress/egress implications.

F12 feels like a 'car' whereas 458 or 488 are a bit more 'toylike' - only a personal opinion but I suppose that a front engined car, with its packaging improvements and more normal driving position and stance, somehow meet my criteria for being a proper car better.

That said, I would not buy an F12 in place of a mid engined car, only in addition to. I love the drama and excitement of a mid engined car and the driving experience is much better in my view.

x z8 likes this.
  9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks so much for your responses. Good stuff.

10. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I have both and F12 is the better car but it has much more noticeable bodyroll than the 458. 458 is funner.

x z8 likes this.
  11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    F12 town car that can track
    458/488 track car that can town
    FF/Lusso town car with peeps, or wife's daily
    Cali T wife's car or weekend

12. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #12 Bundy, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Ferrari only produces six V-12 engines per day. The V12's represent only 20% of Ferrari's annual production despite placement into several car models like the F12, FF, LaF, Tdf, Lusso. Each V12 is built entirely by a single master craftsman, and it takes about an entire shift to assemble one V-12 engine.

I have owned an F430 and have a 488GTB on order, and I'm not knocking the V8 engines. But after visiting the factory and seeing the old world attention still given to the V12 builds (more than the V8's and WAY more than the Maserati 6 cyl engines), I am happy to have an F12 in the stable. As others have mentioned, the F12 sounds incredible, too. If you can have both a V8 and V12, that would be my rec. I'd rather have a 458 and FF than just a F12 or just a 488.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I guess that's just a personal view. My view is 488 sound is 'hopeless' compared to the F12.

14. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The f12 has the best sounding engine ever produced besides the laf and tdf imo. No other supercar of hypercar manufacturer comes close from my subjective opinion.

The v8 has systematic limitations to what it can sound like and can't really compete in terms of sound.

15. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's hopeless next the 458 IMO. 488 sounds big. Yet it always seems like a small sound trying to be big one. Sock in the pants kind of thing.

darth550 likes this.
  16. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland

That is very well said, best to have all😄

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

17. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    The problem with f12 sound is that it gets exciting above 4,500 RPM, by then you are just going too fast!

I also miss the cracking sound on down shifts, it's there but very subtle and I have to open the window to hear it.

I think 458 speciali sounds amazing.

18. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    have owned 458 coupe, F12, Speciale.....

Both cars are awesome. Obviously you know the 458 Spider as well as anyone, so you know the 458. That platform is comfortable, but can be very sharp and is a balanced package (power, chassis, brakes, can have edge or be comfortable)

F12 is a great GT with a vicious engine. It delivers a lot of the same things, just in different ways. The 458 reacts instinctively to inputs, builds confidence when pushed, and is easy to drive.

The F12 just consumed miles and is as good as the 458 on most roads, but you need to respect the throttle pedal, and be comfortable in the GT chassis. F12 requires a bit more focus on driving to wring it out.

From all I've read about your driving, seems like these are pleasure cars and you seem to enjoy the open roof, so the Spider sounds perfect. I'm sure you'd love the F12, the question I'd have is what you're looking to get out of it?

If you are going to drive from Denver to Lake Tahoe frequently and at high speeds (i.e. GT like), the F12 is the ticket. If you're going to start and end most of your drives at home, via mountain roads with a few stops for lunch, et al, the 458 might fit better.

Only other thing I'd toss in (logical part of my brain) is the economics to swap from a 458 to an F12, but that's purely your decision.

FWIW, of the cars we've owned/own, our FF is the most driven and versatile, and our F12 is the very favorite. Speciale is astonishingly good to drive, but I race for a hobby so lower need for a "street racer" in my road cars.

x z8 likes this.
  19. NicB458

NicB458 Rookie

Jun 22, 2014
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I have owned the Italia and Spider and currently have the Speciale and F12 in the stable. F12 is crazy fast in a straight line but has significantly more body roll as mentioned in a post above. I suppose this is to be expected as it is a GT car designed for longer trips.

One thing that is noticable is that the F12 feels much smoother at lower speeds compared to the grunt of the V8 (specifically the Speciale that I have become accustomed to.

Sound is pretty subjective but the V12 is one of the most beautiful noises when that engine starts up and revs all the way to around 9k.

I guess that the most important decision is which one you will walk up to in the garage, smile when you see it and enjoy every moment in it. :)

...I guess the only real solution is to get both...

x z8 likes this.
  20. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have had a 458 spider (fantastic) followed by an FF (loved it) - fabulous engine , I pick up my F12 at the end of next week and I cannot wait :0) . I think each change has been a fantastic progression with the next step the biggest.
    cheers,Bob

21. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is a very interesting thread to me, as a long-time lover of the F12, and GT style cars in general. Seeing your thoughts about the nimbleness and go-kart properties of the 458 in comparison to the F12B, I am interested in anyone's views on where the F12 TDF sits, relative to the 458 and 488. Cheers.

22. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    just want to respond to the comment that the F12 is hopeless on the track. I cannot comprehend that statement. The F12 is a monster on the track. It's far more intimidating I'll admit if you're still climbing the experience curve, but I think ultimately it outperforms even the 488 on track, and not just in straight line speed. No doubt the mid engine cars feel different and that's a fun feeling, and if the 458/488 feels better to you than go for it, but I don't want anyone not going for the F12 because they think it is any way lacking on the track. It's the king of the track in many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  23. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Agree +1

24. attifashraf

attifashraf Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    UK
    currenty own a Speciale, 488 and the F12. Speciale is raw, loud and so pinpoint accurate. a fanstatic track car.

The 488, i enjoy alot, only today I was thinking it inspires confidence when driven fast - as mentioned go cart like. The F12 is a big comfortable cruiser which requires more thought due to both its size and weight.

I would pick the 488 for point a to point b quick, the F12 if i was going out of town and the Speciale for one off occasion of going for a blast. All fantastic cars in their own way.

x z8 likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Hence my somewhat glib 'hopeless' response to his post. Not sure if the poster even owns an F12.