anybody know this WHITE testarossa????? | FerrariChat

anybody know this WHITE testarossa?????

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Parnelli, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/423/1989-ferrari-testarossa

they just got it as a trade in 4 days ago. Does NOT come with the stock wheels (are those 512M wheels on it)?
    Per the (clean) Carfax it has only 500 miles put on it over the past 8 years. I do not have service records yet. Have asked for them, of course.

Initial thoughts????

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those aren't 512m wheels, these look better :)

Have you pulled a Carfax report? And had a PPI done? And have you googled the VIN? Good first steps.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Carfax- Yes
    PPI- No (it was just listed 24 hours ago)
    Googled VIN - Yes .....didn't learn much

So u like the wheels?

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A little bling-y but not bad imho. Do they have the original wheels? If the 14k miles are to be believed, that would theoretically mean the original seller was holding on to it as an investment, and cars kept for investment should, in theory, have kept their original parts. Just food for thought.

5. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    They do not have the original stock wheels. No idea why. Which I'm guessing knocks $5K off the value

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well they're going to say the 14k miles deserves a premium in price. However your counter point could be my previous point calling the 14k in to question. Do you have plans to go out there to drive it? Definitely do that.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks clean. Not sure 14k clean, but she is very nice. I would consider it. I am a sucker for a white TR.

8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Driver's seat bottom looks like a whole lot more than 14K miles. My 88 with 47K miles doesn't look like that. Just saying. The rest of the car that can be seen looks nice in pics.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I like that the dealer has the couth to reveal the driver seat bolster wear! Bravo

Thats a good sign for a new relationship. Like a girl just laying it out there minute one that she has a few skeletons and no closet.

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, service records would have bearing on your final price. Looks good though...

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Shamie ? BLKDiablo? Where are you guys :

12. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Sorry, meant Shamile !

13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    OK so here is a story on this car.
    The car has absolutely no service records on it.
    It does not come with stock wheels nor do they have any for it.
    The car needs a full engine out for sure. And I would guess a PPI would find other things as well as it has basically sat still for the past eight years.
    The Carfax has a ‘mileage discrepancy’ issue. It most likely is just a fat finger at the DMV . It is off only by a few hundred miles. But nonetheless that is always a pain in the butt trying to fix should it become ever put on the title of the car .
    Per the carfax this car has only been driven 500 miles in the past eight years. And has been only driven 2500 miles in the last 17 years. Obviously cars like this don’t do well when sitting and not being driven on a somewhat periodic basis.
    I don’t know what a complete set of stock wheels would cost for this car, I am guessing at least five -ten grand if you can even find them, plus at least another $15-$20,000 in service issues, and a Carfax “issue “ brings me to the conclusion that I cannot pay anything north of 75 grand for this car. Of course they did not accept that offer.
    No problem. There’s always another car !!!

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    75k imo is low maybe offer more and if it checks out in ppi go from there .it is a great color combo and has low miles .otherwise others not needing anything and with a good amount of records is gonne be 100/120s hope you get in one and ready for summer enjoyment.

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    theres an 89 white tr with 13k miles asking 99k in los angeles area its on ebay ck it out

16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    BLK- it's the same car

17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    put a nice set of tr 512 or stock tr wheels on it get a inspection done on it its priced very low

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ANY mileage discrepancy, even by a few hundred miles will cause you pain down the road when attempting a resale, especially since they don't have ANY records. To me, that smells fishy. At 14k they should have books of records that would jive with the idea of collectability. They probably bought it at an auction: the dumping ground of questionable vehicles. Don't be in a rush to buy. My TR took me three years to find.

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    what if it really didnt get driven and past owner didnt service it.i thinks it worth to pay for a ppi .if it checks out good do a major fluids,wheels and you have a stunning tr.i bought a diablo sv while back and past owner rarely drove it asked him when last time u had it serviced he said close to 4 years ago he put not even 500 miles on it with in that time i ended up checking it out and passed and just needed service tires

20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i agree take your time for the right one

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    RPM, I agree 110%

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The no service records and Carfax blip isnt a deal breaker......but its a black eye. At the very least they should be able to tell you where it came from, previous seller. (but they wont). Get a PPI at a trusted shop in LA and go from there. Not knowing when the last time the belts were changed, if you buy it, take it directly to your shop for a major service. I would budget $14k for a service since it hasnt been touched mechanically in ?

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #23 lear60man, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Delete.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    the car looks good for the mileage - the seat is appropriately worn.

the brake calipers have been repainted fairly recently. odd given no recent mileage put on the car.

get a good ppi and compression test. after a cold startup, drive the car until it is thoroughly warm.

if you want a set of OEM wheels - I’d sell mine for a more reasonable price.

that car looks plenty good enough to invest in a ppi.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo
    PS - for very legitimate reasons, my car has similar ‘few miles, no records’ issues, but it is a really good car.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  25. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Vincenzo- What do OEM wheels cost?

Yeah, the seats are definitely worn for a 14K mile car.

Never have seen red calipers on a TR. They look great on my Porsches......but on a TR??? Does anybody find that odd??

Not sure why yours doesn't have records but that always scares me. Who doesn't keep records on these kind of cars? Typically it is owners who don't "care enough" about the car to bother w/ records. If they are so lazy as to not keep simple records then what else are they being lazy at? Oil changes, belt changes, where they park it?

I get the fact that many cars are bought at auctions and do not have records. But, as "stewards" of these cars....shouldn't the previous owner feel a sense of duty to put the records in the car when they sell it? I ALWAYS do.