Anyone agree with JPM? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone agree with JPM?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi69, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I agree with Montoya.

Someone's thread mentioned him having faced Senna in '94. Senna only participated in 2 or 3 races prior to his tragic death (having qualified on pole for all of them, only to DNF in all of them), so he did not really race against Senna the year that he won his first championship. I feel that '94 was Schumi's greatest Championship win so far, having done it with a V-8 Ford-powered Benetton.

After that, he went up against Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, and Jacques Villeneuve as his most worthy competitors. Combined, the aforementioned competitors shared 4 World Championships. In 2000 and 2001, when Schumi won his 3rd and 4th, there was only Villeneuve (on a very subpar team) and Hakkinen left, 3 WCs amonst those two. In 2002 and 2003, all that was left in terms of Championship winners was Villeneuve.

All of this to say that in the pre-Schumi days of Senna-Prost-Mansell-Piquet, these four fought each other tooth and nail, and had a combined 11 Championships between them, far more than what exists in the field today.

I think Montoya is as talented as anyone. With him, Kimi, Ralph, and Alonso, I believe we will have some very high quality racing to look forward to, along the lines of what we got to see in the 80s and early 90s.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The Williams was the car to beat in 94 and the Benetton the underdog challenger. Senna DNFed alright, but why? Because he made mistakes under the pressure from the young German. To the point that it killed him.

So in a sense we have indeed seen the big battle, just wish it had lasted a lot longer and without injuries.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In the end, as Hubert said, for JPM to have made those comments makes me wonder what he has been doing since he started in F1. He has been around for a while now and has not been any real competition to MS, just like the rest of them.

Thus MS has not raced and beaten as many WC's as others, but it is time for JPM to stop the talk and start the racing OR get out of F1 and let a real driver have his seat ;) ... that should upset the JPM fans ... hahaha

Pete

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It sounds to me as if JPM feels the same way that a lot of us fans feel. While other drivers may have beaten Michael to the title over the last decade (a whopping 3, to be exact), he has still stood without peer among the ranks of F1 drivers during that time. 1996-99 were won by far superior Williams and McLarens, and only Michael's sheer talent kept him in the hunt, save for his broken leg in '99. If you turn back the calendar 20 years or so, looking down the grid you really got the feeling that every one of the drivers belonged there--no BS--and once on the track there would be no quarter from anybody. If all the teams today were 110% funded, no financial concerns whatsoever, then how many of the drivers on the grid next month would be different? Plus, it's becoming widely accepted that modern F1 cars are easier to graduate into than those of decades past.

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    The funny thing that JPM doesn't realize , is: that by his statment regarding the lack of competition MS has had to face (in light of his winning record) JPM has made himself look like a total tool. (If I was losing against a competitor, you wouldn't find me so blatently point out the obvious.)
    Anyway, where were these so-called terrors last season? Or the season before? Or, the one before that? Because, as I recall, MS was winning titles.
    Point is, until one of these knobs WINS a world drivers title, then they'll be able to talk about competition, because presently, they haven't offered sufficent competition to win against MS.
    Apparently, Ferrari and MS still have the best combo; therefore, they win. So, by induction, Schumi hasn't had an "competition" because the other teams, apparently, are too busy hiring too slow whiny primadonna wankers to drive, and engineers that couldn't build a ziptie.
    Ferrari and schumi win for one reason: commitment.
    So, until anyone else on the grid matches their level of commitment to F1, they'll rightly be in a league of their own.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Reminds me of the difference between the chicken and the pig in regards to a ham and egg breakfast:

The chicken participated, the pig was commited.
    :)

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Good one Andreas,

One thing to note here it seems as if JPM was bold and trying to make a point his first season. Just look at the passes he made on MS at Brazil and Indy his first year they were bold clean and exciting. Now if we look at his driving style it seems more and more he has to punt the driver off of the track to get around.

Rob

8. KEFLON

KEFLON Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Faisal
    Excuses Excuses: Micheal has just had to up his game higher than any1 else that the reason he won those 6 crowns

Simple as hes better than everyone who he has fighted against

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While we're all beating up on JPM, I'd like to state, that I do appreciate his outspokenness. Even if it means whining at times. Just don't go as far as JV did, please.

As much as I admire Michael for his talent, his press conferences are as interesting as watching a deodorant commercial. With a lot of words he says absolutely nothing. Obviously that's the company line and he is just a good soldier, but it is boring.

Some here lambasted JPM for his "potty mouth" when he used some expletives in the press conference, but I take that any day over a PR regulated statement. No wonder I liked Eddie Irvine a lot.

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    So do the hookers.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Exactly. BTW, Montoya's problem is perfectly exemplified by his "you broke my head" crying comment, namely, he has no discipline or self-control on the track, gets over-aggressive and makes mistakes and then whines about it. Read this: he will NEVER be World Champ in the current system until he learns some control and he CERTAINLY will NEVER be World Champ while MS is still driving.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nothing wrong with outspokenness ... as long as the words turn into actions. I predict that JPM will never win a WDC. There is no way somebody who drives on emotions and not skill could last a whole season.

His passing attempts, even in his first year, are not calculated and skillfully executed, they are desperate manouvers of a man struggling to maintain the pace, etc.

Has he added anything to F1 ... in his first year a little, since then NOTHING! ... close to a one lap wonder.

If Williams had higher caliber drivers then Ferrari would be in trouble, and if Williams can build a fast enough car to put Ralph on pole in every race ... good buy WC to Williams. Ralph is like Hill, if he leads from the start he has a very high chance of winning the race ... as both are not fighters that can lift a poor car.

Pete ... stir, stir ;)

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Um...I don't think so.

SCHUEY SHATTERS IMOLA RECORD
    Last Updated: Wednesday, 25 February , 2004, 19:52

Michael Schumacher has smashed the lap record at Imola on the third day of testing.

The Ferrari driver – piloting the new F2004 – was almost a second quicker than the previous record set by himself in February last year.

This week’s Imola test is the first where Ferrari and their rivals Williams and McLaren have gone head-to-head in their 2004 cars.

On Tuesday Williams had the upperhand with Ralf Schumacher just pipping his brother to the top spot.

But it was Schumacher the elder who today reined supreme.

McLaren’s David Coulthard was second quickest over a second off the pace of Schumacher. Juan Pablo Montoya took over the duties from Ralf in the Williams and set the third fastest time.

Also in action for Ferrari was Rubens Barrichello who drove the F2003-GA around the Italian circuit working on tyre development for Bridgestone. The Brazilian was fourth fastest.

Bottom of the timesheets was the Toyota duo of Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis.

The Imola test concludes on Thursday.

Testing times from Imola

1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m19.664s
    2 COULTHARD McLaren 1m20.928s
    3 MONTOYA Williams 1m21.026s
    4 BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m21.235s
    5 DA MATTA Toyota 1m22.162s
    6 PANIS Toyota 1m24.356s

'NUFF SAID!!!

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What is going to happen to the sport when MS retires?

Will we have for the first time since 1949 a seaons where there are NO current WC's entered? ... does that make a mockery of the WC, and make it a lottery?

Worried, that the media will turn it into a joke.
    Pete

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I will have you know: it took a long time and a lot of invention to create the first ziptie. It just wasn't done by hiring slow whiny primadonna wankers.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D ... no it was probably somebody in their shed out the back, who went about patenting it incorrectly and then some 'quick thinker' stole it and scored the points (er, bucks)! ... touch down!, as you guys would say.

Pete

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Montoya will probably be able to then assemble a string of "empty" WC crowns as he will face no one but Mr. "No-Personality" Raikkonen and the ONE guy I believe could truly be the next MS: Fernando Allonso. BTW, rumor has it that Ferrari approached Allonso to take Rubino's place but he wanted too much money. I suspect Flavio will keep that kid pretty close to the vest.. at least for as long as he can.

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003

Um, anyone who follows F1 on a regular basis knows not to look too much into testing times. You have no idea who is running what.

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Do you actually think that the cause of Senna's death was due to him being pressured by Schumey and making a mistake? That is absurd. I guess the whole trial against the Williams team and the modified steering column was just a smoke-and-mirrors show.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually we had that discussion just recently here on FChat. Until then I believed it was shoddy workmanship on that steering column, but some FChatters made some interesting posts, which indicate driver error: It appears as if he didn't wait long enough to warm up his tires after the restart and hence the tire temperature wasn't up to spec and the car bottom out and he went straight into the wall.

Why would a legend like Senna do such a mistake? I'd say for the same reason he spun out in the previous three races: Too much pressure from Schumacher.

PS: The trial was bizzare and unfortunately this year due to a new EU law we might find ourselves in the same situation again: Teams can now be held responsible in certain EU countries if there is a fatal accident.

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I have followed F1 since 1976, I am about as big a fan as you will find. I do understand what you are saying, the stats were just a little fun, although I stand by my reason for posting them, namely, Montoya cannot, all things being equal, hold MS' jock, IMHO.

22. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    The low tyre pressures were due to the fact that they had to follow a safety car for seven laps that was going incredibly slowly (for a Formula 1 car). I think the SC was a standard Fiat or Alfa I cant remember which.

Actually Senna had gone out of the previous two races. Interlagos whilst trying to catch Schumacher and then Aida where he was punted off by Larini in the Ferrari at the first corner.

Best
    Mark

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Mark, I thought Larini was driving the Lambo?

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is just from my leaking memory, but I think Mark is right. Larini drove the Ferrari in 94.