Anyone done the Audi R8 days at COTA? | FerrariChat

Anyone done the Audi R8 days at COTA?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by BrettC, Nov 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thinking about it for next spring. Happy with it anyone or no? 4K for 2 days worth of track/class time.
    thanks
    Brett

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was at an event last year and plenty of Audi’s leftover from huge event weekend prior, maybe same ?

Here’s a cost comparison if you have your own car.
    “Good Evening:

I hope this finds each of you in good spirits as we head into Fall. I’m already thinking a more southern location is in the cards this coming Winter. Perhaps a late February trip to sunny, warm Austin, Texas?!

For the 7th year in a row MVP Track Time is headed to Austin, Texas for some on-track fun. It’s time to sign up for three days of driving on America’s only purpose built F1 track, Circuit of The Americas (COTA) in Austin. MVP Track Time has scheduled our 6th annual three-day COTA track event for February 22 – 24, 2019.

The entry fee for all three days is $1,375, same price and 2014-2018. If you’d like to register for a single day or two days, contact me at (314) 249-3770 or [email protected].

Initially, as with our previous COTA events, this event will be for ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE skill/experience drivers only.

If you are in doubt whether you meet the Advanced or Intermediate criteria, call me at (314) 249-3770 to discuss your experience. There are a limited number of spots available for COTA. Yes, COTA fills fast.

STEP 1
    The $1,375 entry fee for all three days at COTA can only be completed with Pay Pal (you can use any major credit card through the Pay Pal system if you don’t have a Pay Pal account) at the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JQ3XJ9LSZHJUN

STEP 2
    Once you have completed the entry fee, head over to the “Registration Page” of MVP’s web site (link below) to register. You’ll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to complete the blue outlined registration box. Click on the“Event” drop-down menu and choose Circuit of The Americas (COTA): February 22-24, 2019.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/id92.html

We will have four (blue, green, yellow and red) run groups allowing us to schedule our customary two hours of track time daily for each run group.

In the spirit of transparency, the rental of COTA, as you can guess, is extremely expensive, so once you register, MVP will not be able to give you a refund until COTA is sold out and we have a replacement for you. If/when we can replace you, there will be a $100 cancellation fee. Inside of four weeks (January 25, 2019 and later) prior to the COTA event there is no refund. This is the expensive reality of renting Circuit of The Americas.

A ”Garage Rental” e-mail will go out when registration is complete. Each garage easily holds four cars, so there are plenty to go around, however, they are first come, first served.

If you have any questions, grab the phone and call me at (314) 249-3770 or you can e-mail [email protected].

Happy Motoring and I hope to see you at COTA. Enjoy your day.

Mark Pfeffer – MVP Track Time
    www.MVPTrackTime.com
    Phone: (314) 249-3770
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Pelican Parts Catalog | Te

3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I'll be attending the Feb 1st one-day track immersion at COTA. I was strongly considering the MVP program, but since my "track car" is a TTRS I decided the Audi gig would be a good fit as it includes time in an RS3, TTRS, and R8. Maybe I'll do both!

I've met a couple of the Audi Experience instructors at SCCA events. Good folks.

Manda racing likes this.
  4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I'm still going Feb 1st for the R8 Track Immersion

Looks like they had a slot open up.

Don't be shy...

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/audi

(insert your post-race Rolex 24hrs at Daytona R8 jokes here)

Manda racing likes this.
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    AClark and 375+ like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Will you be on track or is everything shut down?

8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Weather wasn't really an impact. Track was a little damp here and there, but dried up nicely as the day went on. My biggest complaint was the full track NOT being available despite assurances yesterday it would be (it seems the left hand was not talking to the right at COTA). I was tipped off by another esteemed F-chatter about a track resurface in progress, too bad I knew more about it than some of the staff. The good news is they will get the opportunity to make it all up to me on a future date.

Track available

My quick summary of the Full Day R8 Track Immersion:

Knowledgeable and courteous staff. Well-organized (aside from the track status idiocy). Nicely catered breakfast and lunch.

If you have racing or some HPDE experience you can get more out of it as the instruction can be a bit thin. However, you might also be frustrated if a less experienced driver is holding up your lead-follow train.

RS3 Lane-change drill: Meh. Would rather have more R8 time or another Americano.

TT-RS Autocross: Enjoyable. Wish they would instruct the launch control. Would really rather put the car on the Circuit.

R8 Lead-Follow: 20 minute stints then seat swap with partner. I got 7 stints behind the wheel (don't usually get this much time in R8 but they were making up for the short track letdown).

Overall a good time. Will go back for the promised full-circuit experience maybe for the "Pro Day" and do some DRS zone magic.

If you are local and have a trackworthy car, the MVP experience a few posts above is definitely a no-brainer. If you just want to track an R8 or are from out of town and want to arrive&drive at COTA, then this experience is pretty turnkey.

375+ likes this.
  9. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My wife has business in TX so I checked for MVP availability— SOLD out it says...

Thanks for review— I’ve seen that same fog. :)

Nortonious likes this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent summary, thank you.

Nortonious likes this.
  11. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #11 Nortonious, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    I too am wishing I had signed up. No real excuse other than I thought I would be skiing, which I still might be. First World Problems I suppose.

I must confess to arriving early yesterday so I might sit above the paddock in the quiet mist. I greatly enjoyed a nice coffee adjacent to Kimi's spot on the grid a few months ago. Forza!

Re: R8 - I tried hard not to emulate some of the GTD drivers at Daytona last weekend. Ha. Some R8 owners present yeaterday were bemoaning the lack of Autoshift in Performance mode (new model vs old model?). Out of curiosity I tried some Autoshift but found the downshifts a bit tardy for my tastes. The upshifts flat out on the main straight seemed very efficient/optimal and admittedly tended to result in a couple mph more at the turn one braking point than I managed in Performance/Manual/Dry/Sport.

I do love a V-10 note.