Anyone ever changed their own oil on a 355? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone ever changed their own oil on a 355?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by TTG, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Todd,

Duh!! Oh well. It's the thought that counts... right?? Didn't get a chance to stop by, but the weather is getting nicer (hopefully), so one of these weekends, well have to organize a little run in the country, out through Peapack, Gladstone, Basking Ridge, Mendham. Nice heading out that way in the spring.

Steve

2. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great pics. Changing the oil for the first time this week. Time to take out the break in oil and run the synthetic.

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #53 Mr.Chairman, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Yes we had a get together with some FChat Testarossa owners and we had a tech day. It was pretty cool and we all gave our input on certain service operations. I was there and had a good time..

R

4. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Good luck bud...I had good intentions when I started this thread but I am too afraid to F it up...I am dropping mine off next week to have the oil changed...Cheers!

TTG

5. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dude, I did the oil change and it was a friggen piece of cake. The hardest part is getting the jack under the car.

6. Thunberg

Thunberg Karting

Jun 19, 2004
    RI
    Appreciate the guide, just wanted to clarify the torque settings from the service manual before I dove in. The translations are a little off it seems, but I read it as:

Engine drain plug: M12 allen / 60 nm (pre-torque) then 90 nm or 44 ftlb then 66 ftlb
    Dry sump plug: M22 / 75 nm or 55 ftlb
    Oil filter: 1"12UNF2B / 25 nm or 18.5 ftlb

Anyone confirm? Thanks in advance for the help.

7. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This sounds really really high to me. I've not found consistent numbers for the torque values on the drain plugs. What I have found are several stories of cracked drain pans because the person wrenching didn't feel the "click".

I just make sure to use brand new crush washers every time, and feel for the crush, and then it will just sort of stop tightening after that, and won't budge further unless you doubled the amount of torque (at which point you're on the verge of breaking stuff). I wrench on motorcycles for a living and do this about once a day.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Tod, and others in the tri-state - Ferrari of Long Island has a limited special for pre 360 cars - $99 oil change. At that price, it's not worth doing it yourself

9. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    WOW!! Very tempting would be a nice ride out there too. Thanks Todd doesn't Steve change your oil though?

10. FerrariLongIsland

Jun 24, 2011
    Plainview, NY
    Full Name:
    Ferrari L.I.
    #60 FerrariLongIsland, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys, this Saturday we have a $99 oil change special at our service department for Ferrari 360's and older. We will have complimentary bbq food and a gift for each guest BUT best of all our factory trained techs are there to walk you thru the process and that way, if you decide to do it one day yourself you can! It's really worth every penny and we are happy to welcome you. We only have a couple spots left so please email me [email protected] for an appointment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login