Anyone Here Actually Own a 348 GTB/GTS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone Here Actually Own a 348 GTB/GTS

Discussion in '348/355' started by wazie7262, Apr 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Regarding the above it does seem like the ones without the lid and just with an open tray are like this because there was an option to have a cassette box in there. Must confess I've not yet seen a car with a Cassette box in there - perhaps because CDs won't fit so everyone just lost the box?

This:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=434&A=2&B=23721&S=

As opposed to this:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=434&A=2&B=23720&S=

Can't find the flat box lids on a parts site, perhaps it's what people fit when the cassette box was binned? Looks the best to me with a flat lid, even if not strickly speaking 'standard'.

2. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Pete, thanks for that.

I also noticed this discrepancy with the compartment between the seats and when i looked at the 348 owners handbook it shows the padded stitched version in both ts/tb and gts/gtb versions, then when i look at cars for sale you hardly ever see that padded lid.

There is a red 1990 ts on Pistonheads with the padded lid and I have seen gts/gtb with the empty tray. Like you said, maybe it was an option because these cars never came with a stereo from the factory and may have been a cassette holder inside.

Cheers.

3. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #53 Nosevi, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Trim round the bottom of the doors on cream cars is another change, on some cars (earlier I think) the trim strip that you can see inside the bottom of the doors is cream, on other cars this is black. The black triange of trim at the tops of the doors started off with diagonal lines in, sort of grooves in it, later it became a flat panel, at least that's what I've seen on (some?) spiders. I prefer the grooved look myself.

4. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Changes to interior trim details is a really good question, that same door trim as used on spiders that you referred to Pete is on the GTC. It is pretty minimal so I thought it was done to trim a little weight (obviously an isssue for the spider but a priority on the GTC). But I have found some other photo's of spider door trim that was way more elaborate (grooved).

So good question and I'd be interested if anyone has the answers (Bleumel's book doesn't BTW) ;)

5. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    [As opposed to this:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=434&A=2&B=23720&S=

Can't find the flat box lids on a parts site, perhaps it's what people fit when the cassette box was binned? Looks the best to me with a flat lid, even if not strickly speaking 'standard'.[/QUOTE]

.......when I first bought my 92 ts here in Oz I tried for some time to find one of these lids as I quite like the idea of being able to lock up valuables while driving with the roof off but to no avail !!
    I think they must have been an interior factory option that became available for the later years. I could never find a clear point or year in which they converted from closed to the open design or vise versa.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #56 ernie, Apr 16, 2013
    Darren,

Do you happen to know what the cam timing, and cam specs are for your engine? I'm curious because all the info I have doesn't include the H block engines.

7. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I think its basically the same as the Euro GTB/S and Spiders Ernie, with the exception of the exhaust header arrangement that we had discussed previously. I did at some point attempt to track down the question of different ECU maps that were supposedly a part of the GTC's make-up, but I am 99% sure that was for the Michelotto versions only.

I will do some more digging :)

I will have a look around for you :cool:

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Awesome, THANKS!

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #59 ernie, Apr 16, 2013
    Found it!

GTS/GTB
    @ 0,50mm
    IN:10/58
    EX:50/14

Funny how the search button can work with a little effort. But I'd still like to know what you dig up D.

10. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    .......when I first bought my 92 ts here in Oz I tried for some time to find one of these lids as I quite like the idea of being able to lock up valuables while driving with the roof off but to no avail !!
    I think they must have been an interior factory option that became available for the later years. I could never find a clear point or year in which they converted from closed to the open design or vise versa.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't think the lid in general was a later option - I've seen both an '89 and '90 car with rear batteries but with the lid. It's entirely possible both were retrofit I guess but in pictures I've seen more early cars than late with the lid. Would also like one though.

11. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #61 peterdavid911, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen the padded lid option as in Reddesires link above and looks amazing. For the ts its only half the opening area to accommodate the targa top storage behind the seats. Its a great addition for lockable storage and does look nice as the stitching matches the seats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. looking4testarossa

Jul 4, 2015
    Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a legit 348GTS. I have decoded the VIN number online:

Results for: ZFFUA36S000098178

Digit(s) Category Code Description
    Digit 1-3 Make ZFF World Manufacturer Identifier: Italy, Ferrari, Ferrari
    Digit 4 Engine U
    Engine type F119H
    Related models 348 GTB/S, 348 Spider
    Remarks Euro version
    Digit 5 Safety System A 3-point inertia belts with auto retractors for front
    Digit 6-7 Model 36 348 GTS
    Digit 8 Market S Left-Hand Drive, Switzerland/Sweden
    Digit 9 Check Digit 0 The check digit is correct: "0" for markets which do not use a check digit.
    Digit 10 Model Year 0 The model year is correct: "0" for markets which do not use the model year.
    Digit 11 Plant 0 Maranello
    Digit 12-17 Serialnumber 098178 Serialnumber 98178. The given number fits in the known ranges for this specific model.

Question is: do you guys have ever seen a GTS with digit 8 being "S"? I find that a little bit weird. Car was first registered in Germany in March 1994.

13. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    I am in France and own the 1st production 348 GTS, #96824. A German market car.

Very happy with it, though I've never drive a TS so cannot really compare.

14. john348gtb

john348gtb Rookie

May 28, 2016
    SYDNEY
    Hi Guys,I own as far as I can ascertain the only Australian delivered D plated 348gtb.So yes these do exist.Vin 99009.I have only the open centre console and it was built late 93 if I remember correctly.So that closed console can only be an option I would think.My car has the 119h motor with tall plenum intake verified by Ferrari.Build verified off the Ferrari files in Maranello.Happy to answer like minded owners.
    Cheers John

15. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Very cool, John. Congrats! How many miles? I'd love to see pics. :)

16. john348gtb

john348gtb Rookie

May 28, 2016
    SYDNEY
    Hi Mike,she has 22,000kilometres fully documented from new.3 owners and no accident history.Motor had compression test PPI with just a few minor issues.
    The biggest problem has been fast idle. I am sorting this out by doing the Italian tuneup,long drives with variable speeds.The more I drive her without abusing her the better she seems to perform,as everyone says these cars are made to be used not stored and I would whole heartily agree with them.

17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Sounds like a wonderful car, John-- one of the best variants of an outstanding car. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it as it was meant to be driven. I agree-- the best examples of the marque that I've run across were ones that were driven regularly and spiritedly.

I hope you'll post pics at some point.

Cheers!

18. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Congrats John, I am sure the guys would love to see you in Perth and your car for the next Nationals. Enjoy! :D

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #69 Wade, Jan 2, 2017
    Sad to say, but one less GTB in the world, and this one was an ultra rare UK spec RHD model.

ZFFUA35C000097936 (Engine type F119H)

Engine bay fire.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Ugh. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Any more pics or details about the car?

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The leakdown came out clean, per the pics.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #73 Wade, Jan 3, 2017
  24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And the intake appears to have survived as well.

25. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Before aquiring my 95 348 Spider (99349) in late 2012 I was considering a French import 348 GTS. The car was for sale here in Scottsdale Az by a local used car dealer. While I don't recall all the details I did look through all of the paperwork that came with the car, including the origional owners pouch with all books included and a large binder with MOT tests, service invoices and all of the import paperwork. it did show that this car was sold by a Ferrari dealer in Paris and spent some time in the UK before being imported to the US. How it ended up in the desert southwest I couldn't tell but it was cosmetically in very nice condition inside and out with Nero FER 1240 paint and black leather. I do remember that the wheels were not OEM and the used car dealer had no knowledge of there whereabouts. As a Brit living in the US I had been around the 348 and Mondial models while living in the UK and new what I was looking at when I encountered this car.
    The only reason I passed on this GTS was due to the fact that I had been driving a euro speced Mondial QV Coupe and wanted my next FCar to be a US spec example.
    Did I make a mistake by not picking up this Unicorn? Maybe...but, if someone REALLY wants a 1994 348 GTS there may still be one somewhere in the US!!!