News

Anyone into dry aging beef (or other) at home?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by David_S, Jan 14, 2020.

1. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Over the weekend, I picked up some AWESOME looking NY Strip steaks at Sam's Club. Heck, they even had a label touting the incredible marbling. I didn't need the label, I would have graded them above Prime as far as I could see.

When I got them home, I was going to just immediately vacuum seal them up & set them aside for near future use. However? I started thinking... would be nice to age them a bit.

So... Wife is freaked out, because I have steaks on wire mesh in a humid drawer of the fridge.

Sent her this link, but not sure it clarified things for her: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5689-dry-aging-steak-at-home

Anybody do any dry aging? Think I'm gonna go with the 4 days described at that link, and see how it turns out. If positive? I might re-purpose an ancient dorm fridge for dedicated aging, and will also try my leg of lamb. ;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    David_S and tomc like this.
  3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've done it. It's sort of gross but the meat comes out fantastic. It definitely concentrates the flavor. I would buy a whole rib roast and dry age then trim and cut steaks. I don't do it anymore cause the local Whole Paycheck does it with choice beef, and at $20/lb trimmed and cut it cannot be beaten. When I did it I was spending more than that.

4. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    wax likes this.
  5. wax

wax Four Time F1 World Champ
    Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. Smiles

Smiles Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I use Umai bags and a dedicated fridge. It does smell.
    https://umaidry.com/

One whole strip steak cut in half. The left is as-aged, the right has all nasty stuff removed. They are unbelievably fantastic New York strip steaks now. Vacuum bagged and frozen.

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login

David_S and tomc like this.
  7. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Details please! How long? Do you age a whole roast or cut first into steaks and then dry age? Full size fridge or mini fridge?

Sorry, nosy, science foodie!

T

8. Smiles

Smiles Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Age a striploin first for 30 days. Then trim off nasties and cut into strip steaks.

Do not age individual steaks. You will have a lot of loss to nasty bark.

Any fridge that self-defrosts will work.

Matt

David_S likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, Matt, much, much appreciated.
    T

Smiles likes this.
  10. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Don't have pictures, but?

For the love of GOD! Yep, the steaks turned out AMAZING.

I had "dry aged" them for about 3 days, then put them in cold mesquite smoke for about an hour, followed up by another 2 days of "dry aging" in the fridge.

Vacuum sealed, tossed in sous vide at 130 for 4 hours (would have done just 2 hours, but got distracted), then alternated 2 minutes per side on hot cast iron, into "low" grill (maybe 200 degrees?) while cast iron heated back up, then "rest" in cooling grill.

TOO many variables - from the incredible marbling, to the "aging" to the smoke, but? Just shy of fork tender. Incredible texture and rich taste. Only cooked 2 of the 4 steaks I had, so the other two are still vacuum sealed & in the freezer.

Was so happy with the results that I have a boneless leg of lamb (partial/small one - say... 5 lbs?) undergoing the same "treatment." :)