anyone know how to register an out of state car in CA

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by HWJunkie, Aug 10, 2009.

  1. HWJunkie

    HWJunkie Formula Junior

    Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    I bought a used Excursion to tow my race car trailer and the title is from Nevada. Does anyone know the exact procedure to register it in CA? It's a diesel so I don't think I need a smog cert. I downloaded the form from DMV that has "owner" information on page 1 and the vehicle information on page two that needs to be verified by someone. I know you can do it at the DMV, but can I do it at a CHP office? That seems easier, then I can just go to AAA and finish the registration. And in the instructions on the website, it says something about needing the sellers information and signature, and I do have their information but I don't have their signature on that form, I do have it on a bill of sale though, si that good enough? And on the owner info, is that the old owner or the new owner, it's a little unclear.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    My regular email is

  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. ZiFF

    ZiFF Formula Junior

    Mar 30, 2009
    #2 ZiFF, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    If you are going to AAA to do the registration, why go to the CHP for the verification? AAA is a licensed verifier, too. You can do it all with one trip.

    As far as the seller's signature, I assume you have the pink slip from the seller, with his signature on it. That's what you will need. You don't need a bill of sale.
  4. HWJunkie

    HWJunkie Formula Junior

    Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    OH, I didn't know that AAA is a verifer. I seem to remember when I bought my Gallardo a couple years ago from out of state, when I went to AAA they couldn't do it and said I had to go to DMV, and then as it turns out, even though the car came from out of state to me, it started out in CA and the title was from CA so it never needed the inspection.... But, on this one, it is in fact a NV title, so I will definitely need to get it verified. I will go by the AAA tomorrow and see how it goes.

    Thanks for the info!
  5. Modenafan

    Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

    Dec 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    I went to the DMV with my CS a few years ago and it was easy. They didn't require a bill of sale but asked me how much I paid for the car so they could calculate the sales tax. Unfortunately I'm one of those honest guys and wrote a really big check.
  6. moretti124guy

    moretti124guy Formula Junior

    Jul 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    AAA should be able to do it all for you, if not try another AAA office, I had a service I used but the lady retired. She was great no matter what the issue, no title, lost title, just a car in a field, she could get it all done for a very cheap fee and you never had to step foot in the DMV. I need to find another service like hers.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. Spiderguy

    Spiderguy Formula Junior

    May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    From my experience, AAA won't let you register an out-of-state car. You probably have to go to DMV for the inspection.
  9. ZiFF

    ZiFF Formula Junior

    Mar 30, 2009
    maybe it's a local AAA office thing, call and ask your local office.

    i just brought into California and registered an out of state car 4 months ago, did it all at AAA here in So Cal., they did the verification, etc. Never had to go to the DMV.
  10. 150shot

    150shot Formula Junior

    Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Wow, I called four different AAA offices to try and avoid DMV and they all said they DO NOT do out of state and had to go to DMV.
    I did this 6 months ago- I remember to
    1. Get smogged.
    2. Fill out some form for out of state at DMV or download it.
    3. Go to DMV with ALL paperwork to avoid a repeat trip. I showed up at 7am and there was a line but out of there by 9:30am, this included a inspection by some guy with a clipboard that just verified VIN or some stuff.
    4. I had to pay registration and tax they used the bill of sale from out of state...OUCH.
    5. Bring any previous title of car or record of previous registration. They will need this, or they will ask for it by mail a month later and not complete registration.
    6. that's all I remember but this should do it- car came from CO- be careful what some AAA tell you as I made sure to talk to some managers there to avoid wasted trips again.
  11. SrfCity

    SrfCity F1 Veteran

    Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    A little tip. DMV locations(here in OC anyway) show wait times on the DMV website. Check for the shortest one and head there.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

  13. HWJunkie

    HWJunkie Formula Junior

    Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Went to AAA and it worked out great, no problems at all. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Share This Page