Anyone running KW adjustable HLS suspension? | FerrariChat

Anyone running KW adjustable HLS suspension?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 808Forza, Jan 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Looking to lower my F430, however need to have the added ability raise it on demand hence the KW HLS adjustable suspension.

They offer two options.
    Option 1: HLS2 Kit raises the front only.

Option 2: purchase their front and rear coil overs, HLS universal kit for 4 coil overs, 4 shorter KW coils. This will raising and lowering all 4 corners. I like the added insurance of clearing my rear carbon diffuser.

Anyone here have any experience with their systems? Good or bad?

One thing I'm not totally thrilled about is the loss of the electronic dampening from the OE coil overs. Thoughts on this?

I've seen some Euro sites offering to send in stock coil overs to be converted to install hydraulic lift actuators. If so, where and does it keep the factory electronic dampening?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    you can always add the hydraulic kit. KW sells the hydraulic kit by itself, albeit pricey. The 2.5" diameter is plug and play for F430/360 as far as fitment.

Or if you want cheap way to do it, you can get a manual weight jacker the circle track guys use. Basically it is a hydraulic kit but not using electric pump but manual. It is pretty simple and uses hydraulic principles and can raise about 1"

3. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Andrie, many thanks for the info! I was wondering if their universal kit would simply fit. I would just need resized coil springs I'm guessing. Sounds like I can keep the electronic damper?

4. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Yes you can run their kit for 2.5" spring diameter. You can even use the stock spring. The top perch on the factory shock is 2.5" the bottom is tapered to slightly bigger than 2.5". I recommend installing the hydraulic cups on the top if possible. All you need is to lower the lower adjuster/perch for the thickness of the hydraulic cup when it fully collapse.

The factory shock is a really good shock made by Sachs. I've run it with much stiffer springs and it can control it no problem.

5. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Keep in mind the motion ratio on the front of F430 is about .7 if I remember correctly. That means 1" travel on the shock equal to 1.4" at the wheel.

one4torque likes this.
  6. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    #6 Andrie, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Awesome info Andrie, thanks for sharing.

8. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Andrie, are the rear coil overs 2.5" on the F430? I'd like to run the lift kit front and rear if possible.

9. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    #9 808Forza, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can see why you suggest mounting the hydraulic rings on the top... Looks crowded at the bottom... Not to mention the taper you stated
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Stock springs are not 2.5", it is much bigger, I forgot the dimension exactly. However, the stock hardware is made to fit 2.5" springs. Ferrari uses rubber isolator as well as adpater to go from 2.5" to the whatever dimension the stock spring is. So if you use the stock spring, you will have to put the hydraulic in between the rubber isolator and the shock upper perch.

11. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Got it. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.
    I'm noticing the KW hydraulic lift cylinders need 65mm (2.59") so it looks like I barely have enough threads to lower the collar which will keep me at stock height.
    If I change springs (to get shorter length springs), any brand suggestions for a street car?

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    If you change springs you going to have options for the rate. Factory F430 is 323 lb/in front and 596 lb/in rear. If you want to maintain the same, you can get the rear really close at 600lb/in and front at 350 lb/in. eibach brand is easiest to get as you can buy it from wide variety of store and it is excellent quality.

13. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you Andrie

14. SocalTouring

SocalTouring Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tri
    It has been a few years. I'm curious if anyone else have ran their kit...

15. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I recently bought the KW HLS kit for OEM coilovers. Not installed yet, will be done during the winter.

16. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Same! mine are supposed to ship from Germany here any day and are set to get installed in September. Looking forward to it.

17. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hey guys. Bringing this thread back from the dead to see if anyone has added the HLS to the OEM system?

18. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Funny thing as with the last time this was posted I am waiting on another set of the KW’s - this time for the F430. This time ordered with the front lift. And like before will hopefully be installed sometime in September - or maybe October / November as both supply chain and install dates are worse than last year :D

19. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Get the KW’s and don’t look back. The front lift has worked flawlessly since new and adds a ton of convenience for day to day driving. The suspension is unreal, dampening and overall performance and comfort is better than my 2020 Portofino.

20. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thank you all for the reply. My plan is to installed the HLS on my factory coilovers using H&R coils. Do you see any issues with this combo? I'd like to drive with about a finger gap above the tire, but need the HLS to get up my driveway and other inclines. I've seen other pneumatic options, but prefer the idea of hydraulic.

21. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    #21 honda corse, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    For preservation purposes I can see why you want to stick with OEM suspension but for me superior performance of the KW coilovers was worth it as I occasionally do track days.

22. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m thinking that my OEM shocks need a rebuild, the suspension doesn’t seem very compliant and harsh, especially going over small cracks or bumps on the freeway. Has anyone rebuilt the OEM shocks? Or should i go with KW? I don’t need a lift. I’m happy with KW on my NSX and Porsche964. Any thoughts? I’m also thinking about replacing all the flambloc.

23. pat_t

pat_t Rookie

Jul 23, 2014
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Bump thread for any updates on the KW HLS installs? For those that have done it, how is the durability? Where did you mount the hydraulic pump unit?

24. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I have had the lift working during the 2022 season.
    During the install, I did some minor modifications to it though.
    Ditched the KW hydraulic pump and the KW ECU-CAN box.
    Ordered a hydraulic pump built to my specs, built a alu box that I covered in OEM style fabric, OEM Ferrari screws to match interior.
    No damage done to the interior during mounting, using OEM existing mounts (KW install needs cutting the mat)
    Built my own ECU to control it, connected to CAN to get vehicle speed, rpm etc

25. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interested to know more about your ECU controls and your updates to the pump. Does it automatically lower at a certain speed or disable above a setting? Also, what was your reasoning behind getting a custom pump made? Space/efficiency/etc?

Your setup looks really nice! Any pictures of the components before you installed them?