Anyone tried SICOM (or similar) CCM refurbishment | FerrariChat

Anyone tried SICOM (or similar) CCM refurbishment

Discussion in '360/430' started by johan6504, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
  2. Greygt3

Greygt3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2013
    Houston Tx.
    This looks like a very interesting solution to an expensive problem. I would post this on Rennlist because the Porsche guys are much more track friendly. Currently they just swap to the iron rotor setup when the PCCB's are done.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Let's hope this is the fix

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Johan- Should be easily possible. Early CCM brakes have a relatively soft center core with a braking medium bonded to that core. Should be no problem to bond another layer to the core after the original one wears out.

Or buy Mov'It replacement rotors and pads, which are solid carbon silicon carbide, so the braking medium goes all the way through the rotor. Expensive, but will likely never wear out, even with frequent track visits.

5. kj2001m5

kj2001m5 Karting

Aug 7, 2009
    I'm gonna respectfully disagree with this statement. Factory ceramic rotors are a monolithic carbon structure, nothing is bonded. During the final "bake" the carbon surface absorbs silicon due to the heat/pressure/atmosphere. The silicon can only penatrate so deep, it's impossible to penatrate 100% throughout the core.

6. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I know about the Movit brakes alternative. I actually asked for the price at our local distributor here in Sweden (PEAN) last year. The problem is that they are even more expensive than the originals. I know they will last a lot longer but it is a huge price difference to the refurbish option.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Have you looked into ZR1 discs? I understand that they are similar in size but I don't know of anyone who has actually tried fitting them to a scud. Much cheaper than stock ($1250 a disc) if they would work.

8. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    It has been tried. After all the customizing needed to get the rotors, calipers, and pads to match up, not much savings. But the real issue is that you still have the same Brembo CCM rotor with the same short lifespan.

9. gman3280

gman3280 Rookie

Jan 10, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    My quote was expensive, over $20K, for my GT3. You could finance a top quality BBK and money left over going to steel.

10. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Price for Movit brakes: 2700€ each for front and 2250€ each for rear
    Price for refurbished brakes: 756€ each for front and 666€ each at the rear

I can get more than 3 sets of refurbished CCM disks for the price of Movit...

Craigkru likes this.
  11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...assuming you can get them refurbished. Have you spoken to SICOM? When you select "Ferrari" or "Scuderia" on their website it just says "coming soon."

12. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    this seems like an interesting alternative. I have CCM on my 09' 430.... :D

13. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #13 Teachdocs, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just received an email that they have a pair of rear rotors ready for delivery. They are $2400 each and then you get $400 back when you send them your used rotor that is able to be refurbished.

The physical appearance looks a bit different than OEM. My other concern is whether this would change the brake bias of the car by only replacing the rear rotors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #14 Teachdocs, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting. My concern would be being the first one to try these on my car. Glad I won't need rotors for a while. :)

16. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    After reading their website, and discovering what they are doing, there is no way I would do that with a CCM rotor. They are taking the best properties of a CCM rotor and replacing them with the worst properties of a CCB rotor. If I wanted to salvage a damaged PCCB rotor, this would be an alternative.

17. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Also, the website does not mention that their process is completely unnecessary and actually detrimental if applied to a CFRC rotor, like a MovIt CER or ALCON CCX. That would be like putting aluminum siding on a brick house. CFRC rotor resurfacing is about $800 from a factory-authorized dealer.

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    +1. CCM technology is different than CCB technology. Even though the two companies have merged, they are still producing both technologies.

19. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    So what would you say I should do with my worn out 430 Scuderia CCM disks?

20. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Here's what I am doing:

Remove the CCMs and stock pads BEFORE they are worn out and box them up to re-install when I sell the car.

Install CFRC rotors and track pads. Re-surface the rotors every couple years or so, as needed.

When I sell this car, I will move my CFRC rotors to my next track car, and the next one after that (if I live that long).

21. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The problem I see with that is that a set of Movit CER brakes are even more expensive than a set of new factory CCM disks. The last price I got from Movit was the equivalent of 22756$ a set (not including brake pads).

The way I see it the refurbish of CCM/CCB would be an alternative to buying Girodisk steel brakes as the price is roughly the same.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Would you mind sharing more details on this?

What do the CFRC and pads cost?
    What is the cost to install the CFRC rotors and pads?
    Which pads are you running?
    Are any modifications required, or is it a simple install/switch?

Thanks!

23. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can anyone briefly explain the difference between carbon ceramic rotors and carbon fiber reinforced ceramic rotors? Tried my google machine but came up with a bunch of noise.

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    An alternative to Movit would be surface transforms I guess. If I understand correctly they are of CFRC type and the price I got from them are the equivalent of 13300$ incl VAT and PAGID RSC1. That is almost 10000$ less than Movit :)

http://www.surface-transforms.com/index.php

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Surface Transforms, plc manufactures the rotors for MovIt, ALCON, and Stillen, and is the OEM supplier to Callaway and Koenigsegg.