Archive Search Nazis (ASN's) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Archive Search Nazis (ASN's)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 410SA, Oct 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I agree. Why not politely recommend that the user check the archives and provide a few links to get him/her started? Here's an example of a thread that went in the right direction. Old question, archives suggested, links offered, followed by some new input on the old topic. I don't see why it can't go down like this more often:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33040

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Agreed, that's the most helpful thing to do.
    However, I don't agree that they should be EXPECTED to do.
    Why should they have to go to the trouble of searching just to let the poster know that they can find an answer by searching on X, Y , and/or Z? Even just that is helpful... the poster may just not have thought of the right thing to search for... or, as is often the case, just forgot to search at all. Its also helpful to know that there IS DEFINITELY some good threads out there.

However, I will agree that a suggestion to search should be polite... there is no sense in abusing someone for simply forgetting to search.

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I take Wayne's approach on this - there are many people new to the site and new to the internet - I think a quick mention of the archives and a few links to get them started... Rather than just lamblasting them with a ASN assault.

The only type of post - which we get 1 time per month or so is "What do you all do to make soooo much money to afford your Ferrari's" or some variant of that. Some people must assume that this may have been asked before...

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    So basically, here's where we come out:

"pretty please, with sugar on top, search the f'ing archives." :D

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    HEY! When did The Wolf register?

DL

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A sticky listing threads relevant to frequently asked questions would be helpful, e.g.

What to look for when buying a 355, 500, 328 etc

Robert.

7. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex

Couldn't agree with you more. Instead of jumping down your throat the archive nuts should provide to you the link where you will find the info you seek. It will take just as much effort as belittling someone and be 1000 times more helpful.

8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    No, not really.
    I can suggest a few search terms to someone in about 20 seconds. For me to open a new window, do the work for them, and then cut & paste it back in is a waste of my time looking for information I'm not interested in. If someone wants to know badly enough, then they can put in just a hint of work instead of having it spoon fed to them, welfare style. If you're considering, or own, a Ferrari, you must be ambitious enough to look for something for yourself, or you're a trust fund kiddie with enough spare time to do this for yourself, rather than making me use more of my few minutes I get free from working for a living to do your work for you.

An unrepentant arichive search Nazi,
    Don

9. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I couldn't agree more.

Some people on this board think they own it. These people read every thread and every single post. They're on this site almost 24 hours a day. Frankly, many of these people care just a tad too much about what goes on this chat site. I say that despite their enthusiasm, which exceeds mine, they haven't earned any right to tell others what to do or to act as authorities. (There is an owner, so let him tell people what to do.)

I've long said: if you don't want to help out and answer someone's question, then DON'T reply to his thread!

Don't discourage other people from replying by saying "uhhhh we discussed this like 10 times already." Instead, say something like "You many want to do a search on this because I remember it coming up several times in the past. Good luck with your issue." OR YOU CAN NOT RESPOND AT ALL!

I hope this thread scares away some of the re-post Nazis who have nothing better to do than read and reply to every single thread on this board.

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If you have the time to compose such a vitriolic defense of your disorder, you certainly have time to find a relevant link for someone who hasn't found it yet. Mussolini was also unrepentant to the end and Charlie Manson continues to be unrepentant. You're in good company...

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Alex,
    I think this issue has been discussed before. You may try the archives...

:) just kidding, I agree, nothing wrong with pointing people in the right direction or starting a new conversation on an old topic.

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Don't worry, dude, I won't invest this much time looking up someone's request for "Can I use synthetic oil in my 308?" or "Where can I get parts for my classic Ferrari?" (which, by the way, I suggested be made a sticky in the Classic forum and have directed people to. But here's the link, since we're all about looking things up and throwing links around: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28256). On the other hand, when I have the time and inclination, I will (as I did today) post a summary of the frequent discussions on timing belt change intervals. Here's a link, just as a show of good faith: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134452883#post134452883

I'm trying not to take your insane comparisons too personally, lest I should breach the code of proper conduct in public. But you know where to go.

Sincerely,
    Haywould

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Riiiight. Nazi's, Mussolini and Manson?? These a$$holes killed people, and a snappy comeback to a stupid question doesn't seem to qualify for the same league.

Talk about vitriolic.
    Put down the pipe, and step away from the keyboard.

I merely thought you were obtuse, you have successfully transitioned to offensive and inane.

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Lee is right, enough of this.

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Maybe a sense of humor is in order. Most of these ASN's treat the forum with the sort of "ownership" that is out of synch with it's real purpose. I think they're like that arcade game where beavers or frogs or something or other pops up and the player gets to whack them with a hammer. My last post was simply whacking back. Take it any way you want. It was not intended to be offensive, simply "unrepentant" to use the same word as the guy who inspired my post. Anyway, the bulk of the opinion expressed here seems to indicate that a little tolerance by the ASN's would go a long way.

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#41 maranelloman, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Funny stuff.
    I've also had enough. Trust me on this one. There are no regrets involved, merely verbal sport with the agents of the dark side.

18. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i just couldn't resist :)

and for the record, i think it's excessive to beat up newbies like this EXCEPT in cases where you're fairly certain they're someone who should know better (eg: folks you've interacted with on other car sites for years and years).

doody!

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

LMAO!!!!!!

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    From another unrepentant soul

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #46 Spasso, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I did a search of the archives and I can't find the definition of "ASN". oooOOOOHH I get it. 'A'rchive 'S'earch 'N'azi.

I have searched the archives for other things many times and didn't find squat. More than likely I just don't know how to use it to it's full potential.

Sometimes it just DOESN'T WORK!

PS. I am as guilty as many when I posted the kitten picture. Why? Because I LMAO the first time I saw it! IT'S FUNNY!

As a matter of fact, HERE IT IS AGAIN!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Leave me out of this. I've seen it all before.

DL

23. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Oh yeah!!! LOL :D

24. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Add a friendly reminder to search the archive in red, near the top of the page (not a sticky thread),