Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    #176 BLUROAD, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thats right...She is rare..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I went to the Concorso this year (for the first time) in Monterey. There were very few good condition 308's. There were A TON of red/tan 328's. There were only a couple of GTB's. If I were to buy an additional Ferrari it would be a 3x8. The newer ones (IMO) are everywhere in California and I prefer the 3x8 design. I think that prices of the 308's are going to start going up due to less and less being available in good condition and they seem to be the versions (at least the 308/328) that most everyone likes and recognizes.

My 2 cents.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread. not sure if actual selling prices are higher, but asking prices sure are.

anybody know why this 308GTB QV with 140,000 miles is $34,500 ! Atlanta is only 4 hours from me.

i doubt it will bring that. however, it does have some "interesting " records.

a QV GTB would be a great compromise for for me, but thats an insane price for a car thats not had a valve job at the very least.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ferrari/308gtb_qv/346386.html

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Let's see, aftermarket wheels, shift knob, speakers...

Not one that I would add to the fleet...

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    always nice to " see " you around !

i hope all is well with you !

i would rather have a euro QV GTB anyway. but i cant imagine there are many of them around. its good to have cash. winter is the best time to buy anyway.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I thought I saw one for sale this morning. Hang on, let me check.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You're welcome.

Now, if I could just find a euro glass red w/black boxer trim and tan interior one for me...

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ROLMAO !!

You wont give up on that will you ? :D:D:D:D:D

I told you coke is so much better ;)

9. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I was walking around the Dream Cruise yesterday and stopped by the Eaton display and someone had their 308 GTB sitting there, nice car. I stood around for a while just to see what reaction people have and these cars are still attention magnets with old and young alike. I think just this alone will help them value wise in the coming years makes me feel good I own one.

10. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This maybe a bit off topic but, just curious as to everyone's opinion.

I have a 1983 308 GTS QV Euro, with 17,500 Miles, imported and registered in the US. It was used last year in the new Nicole Kidman, Jack Black movie titled "Margot at the Wedding", to be released in Oct..

Would this increase the resale value of my 308, and if so by how much?

11. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Did Nicloe's arse sit in the seat for abit ? was she pantiless ? Id be willing to add an extra 5K for that seat !! ;)

12. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #189 spiderseeker, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    * I agree, other than the glass cars, the QV will be the hot 308 of the future. 16" wheels and reliability of FI make it a winner-
    My 2 year anniversary is !!! TODAY !!! and mine has been a great, problem free car. However, I feel that all 308's are $50k cars waiting to be discovered.
    What other mark can you buy for $50k today that is more fun and gets more attention from young or old ?
    Thanks Magnum !!! and Thanks to all on Fchat that made the "20 year dream" of owning a 308 a reality for me. Without the member support on Fchat, I wouldn't have had the confidence to work on it myself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    pm sent....

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome back Judge!

The movie effect $$$$ is not there....these cars sell on condition, condition, and oh yea.....condition!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yours is somewhere in Italy, Judge.....with YOUR connections you cannot find one, or you just want to hang out with me by the Trash Barrel fire?????

*passing paper bag with the Booker's*

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bring it by, I have some Krylon to shoot your lower trim....should dry by the time we finish the rib eyes.......

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I should have bought one there when the Euro wasn't $1.32.

No hurry, the time will come when I pull one out of the boot...

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You mean the dollar will be BACK within our lifetimes??????

Your's maybe, not within mine.......;)

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It will come back.

But then again, I may be getting paid in Euros instead in a few years...

20. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I somehow missed this thread in my travels and now I just slogged through the whole thing. A few of my worthless contributions:

1. Dr. Tommy, I agree with you....inflation means they are worth less than they were before, even if the pricetag is "higher." Add service and it gets worse. But hey, they lost less than a lot of other things you can blow money on, right? A lot of fun for the money.

2. I disagree that 308s will not make $100K. They will. Who knows when. I think it won't be that long. In fact, I believe we would be a lot closer to it than we are now had it not been for the economic turndown of late. I'm not saying I want that to happen. I would be perfectly happy for them to stay where they are. Unless I had a pile of them to sell at a profit, the price going up does nothing for me except make me scared to drive it. I bought it to drive it, not to sell it.

3. Dr. Tommy, your analogy about the amount of money you put into your VW versus its worth is only partially applicable to the 308 market. The difference is there isn't much demand for an '80s VW. Big Red is maybe a little extreme on this, but I can see some of his argument. Price is a function of supply and demand. Demand for 308s will remain constant or increase as more people in the demographic of wanting one become more affluent. As time goes on and more and more of them must be restored because of their age, there will be fewer in circulation, so that will drive the price up. Why fewer in circulation? Because the people who spent $100K to restore one will not part with it for $40K, so they are effectively out of circulation. As well, the ones available on the market will be lower and lower quality, meaning they too will need restoration. This cycle will naturally push prices up and up, exactly as it has with 246 Dinos. I don't think Dinos hit a "magic" age and their price just skyrocketed. They hit a point where more and more of them needed restoration and this cost finally spilled over into their value. The cost of restoration and the value are not as directly related as Big Red implies, but they certainly must affect each other. The difference is that there are more 308s than 246s, so it will take longer for restoration costs to spill over into overall value.

I firmly believe that 308s will hit $100K. But who knows, by the time it happens, maybe $100K will actually be worth so little because of inflation that it's only $25K in 1997 dollars so we're still losing money!

Birdman