Are there any notable "lost" Ferraris that we think may still exist? | FerrariChat

Are there any notable "lost" Ferraris that we think may still exist?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by malcolmjl, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    Maybe something stolen or put away in a barn, but not confirmed destroyed by the factory? New, interesting cars seem to be popping up semi-regularly (alloy Daytona for example) and I'd love to know what else is potentially out there.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Malcombjl, you might try chasing down the location of a 1955 500 Mondial Series II serial 0574/MD last seen with Sbraci at Pescara on August 19, 1956.

Good luck,

Robert

NürScud and tomc like this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Engine 0574 MD is in a car in Italy.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Doesn't chassis stamp of 0424/MD clearly show 0574/MD underneath?

of2worlds likes this.
  5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Great Question,
    I always wonder how many of the "older" Ferraris are accounted for. Or better yet, how many are NOT accounted for. Are there MANY? or a handful?
    This may be a question for Marcel or one of the other top historians on this site.

6. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Marcel,

Thank you for the nice clear serial photo, on the other side of the crankcase you will find the internal motor number 11M. As you know this tipo 111 crankcase has a head/block attached which is not a tipo 111 but from an early narrow valley 500 motor with four single throat webers (45DOE) with serials #19,1,70 and 48. Motor installed in a Formula car chassis serial 0188F. Not at all surprising considering the numerous tipo 111 motor failures in the spring of 1955.

The 0574 assembly data sheets are confusing with the cover page showing both tipo 109 and 111, and the chassis page noting a change to a "500/Monza" for Mugello. Another confounding story.

Best regards,

Robert

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Another question : how many were destroyed but still exist ?

NürScud and Jasonberkeley like this.
  8. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Kare, Yes it clearly shows 0574/MD, but that leaves the question of which car Sbraci had. The car with the 0424/MD overstamp was already in the Ferrari museum when Sbraci was last racing his car. We can speculate that the initial chassis stamped 0574 for Sbraci was overstamped for the more pressing demand by DuPont and that a subsequent chassis carried the 0574/MD stamp. But this is only one of several possibilities. Fact remains that we still do not know the whereabouts of the Sbraci 500 Mondial S2.

Best regards,

Robert

9. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    If we start adding duplicate chassis numbers how much longer will this list get? I've hear of it happening on occasion but do we really know the full extent? For example, there are multiple F50's with chassis no. 99999 as far as I understand, but can we ever really know how many? Are there secret cars squirreled away never to see the light of day with duplicate chassis numbers?

10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    So many possibilities including #0800 - a tentatively suggested 196SP built for Stirling Moss to use in 1961 discussed in John Godfreys book with pictures of a mystery car and lots of circumstantial evidence. Who knows what the car was, why there is a gap between #0798 and 0802 or why, if there may be a number, what ever happened to it. For that matter what ever happened to 196SP/250P prototipo #0796 that was said to survive in that book. Interesting

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    250 P engine from 0796 is in 3765LM as I'm sure you know.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    0846. Where is it?
    at least engine and gearbox have been saved and stored.

JAM1 and lancia like this.
  13. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    I believe that one's been thoroughly covered in another thread...hahaha. I started this thread with the story of that car in mind but with the topic being all the other cars with similar, tumultuous histories. I feel like there are others like 0846 that belong to more private owners so they don't get the same attention.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    0846 does not belong to James Glickenhaus.

tomgt and JAM1 like this.
  15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    That is correct, still owned by SpA
    Would love to see a Tribute car like the 125S for their Maranello Museum.
    But we can discuss further in 003/“0846” thread

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #16 Wheels1, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    The 1st RHD Daytona Spyder chassis number 14371 one of 7 RHD cars.
    It was Azure blue metallic with white blue roof and wire wheels from the factory, painted black, with black and black roof and alloys for the first owner at Ferrari London. the SULTAN OF BRUNEI bought it in 89 and had a power roof fitted and fuel injection, he may still have it, but it has not been seen for decades as far as I know. There were rumours it had been bought a few years ago. Over to Marcel.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I ran out of time to edit it ! This make more sence:-
    The 1st RHD Daytona Spyder chassis number 14371 one of 7 RHD cars.
    It was Azure blue metallic with white interior a blue roof and wire wheels from the factory, painted black, with black interior and black roof and alloys for the first owner at Ferrari London. the SULTAN OF BRUNEI bought it in 89 and had a power roof fitted and fuel injection, he may still have it, but it has not been seen for decades as far as I know. There were rumours it had been bought a few years ago. Over to Marcel.

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I propose we keep 0846 out of this discussion...

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Agreed. That's been addressed, and addressed extensively, in its own thread.

Matt

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I propose we keep personal attacks and judgments of character out of this discussion, too.

21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres

Perhaps not too notable, but it did appear in Road & Track and other magazines in the period. Where is Ferrari 340A #0132? The trail seems to have gone cold after 1955. Any information will be appreciated.

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The long-time owner of 0132 doesn't want to be bothered. He knows what he has. It's not "lost".

24. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    This is what this thread was for! We're already "finding" "lost" cars! Thanks for the info Ed. Any idea of the condition of the car? Does the owner still enjoy it from time to time?

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very interesting paint job on 0132!