Are you a digital or analog driver? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are you a digital or analog driver?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What if we are living in a digital simulation without knowing it?

Catondrugs and Texas Forever like this.
  2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Analog first!

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    At 72 yrs old it's a mixed bag for me. I own an 85 308 GTB QV, a 95 gated 355 spider and a 2014 Cayman S with PDK.

For touring, in order of enjoyment:

355, Cayman, 308

For hard driving:

Cayman, 355, 308

For looking at:

308, 355 Cayman.

Really nothing to do with digital or analog, just honesty. Modern cars are so superior in performance, handling, braking, response, balance, there is no argument. And I'm just not nostalgic. Looking forward to what come next. I already know where I've been.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    EnzoItaly likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I had a 2009 Cayman when they first came out with the PDK. Unbelievable transmission. I never used the flippers. The car was faster than me. When I took it out on the track, I couldn't stop laughing. Only thing it couldn't do was trail braking, but it is my understanding the P-race cars can trail brake.

BUT, if I ever buy another Cayman (they have to the best used sports car bargain available), I'll buy a stick, just because.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is possible to embrace technology without also believing every high tech goofball idea belongs in a car just because it can be done. In the name of performance fun has been taken out of driving modern cars because of it.

Any car I 'll ever consider owning was built some years ago. The industry has lost its way.

INTMD8, ago car nut, mwr4440 and 3 others like this.
  7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Analog all the way, right down to my watches (which by the way are not only analog but also mechanical.

fatbillybob,
    I am a huge diesel fan too. We once had the best of both worlds: a Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9 with a 6-speed manual trans.

plastique999 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    Totally agree[​IMG]

EnzoItaly and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Depends what you want out of the experience........to be a passenger, passer by , baggage and quick with lap times effortlessly and efficiently or ...........get more involved, have a large number of quantitative variables to manually think about , get right , synchronise which takes hard skill to learn .Ultimate satisfaction gradually getting it all together , understanding the car letting the car communicate to you with any nanny electrotwackery interference.Being able to feel the feed back and place the car exactly where and how you want it and understand why .

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Analog. The only Ferraris I ever owned that were even close to digital were the two 550 Maranellos. I’d still take the 330GTC over them.....but just.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have a 2008 Boxster RS60 6 speed. Fantastic car, but still more digital than I would prefer.

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m with you on the watches...here is my mechanical movement that powers a digital display!
    Also in front of an analogue car...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Take brakes as an example. ABS is great. It has saved numerous lives over the years. (And, yes, I know how to do threshold braking, but in a panic...). But ceramic brakes? On a street car? If you're driving that fast on the street to experience heat fade on modern disk brakes, your time on this marble will not be long.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #41 Rifledriver, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    I had a guy call and ask for an appointment to install his space shuttle brake kit on his 430 a few years ago. He said he needed better brakes. After asking him a bit about how he used the car and telling him for street use the steel brakes were actually better he finally confessed he was doing it because they look cool. I told him I wasn't interested. I really wanted to tell him to go back to blow drying his hair.

I have another long time client/friend. Has more money than God. Has an incredible collection but most of the time he drives and old green Chevy pick up with a broom stuck in the corner of the bed. Came by one time to ask if his 300SL would be ready for the California Mille. I said" No, didn't know you want it for that. Sorry." He said "This car is in that shop all apart, you have my 300, someone else has this, I guess I have to take my D type". His truck has a bumper sticker "Peace and prosperity through drum brakes". Now there is a car guy.

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    plastique999,
    Beautiful watch! I lived in Stuttgart for 8 years and I always dreamed of a Glashuette. I have a Chronoswiss and a LeCoultre, but they are not in Glashuette class.

plastique999 likes this.
  17. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks for the great write up!

Oh yes, makes me think about my manual Evora... the steering and handling of that car was amazing (the steering feedback even better than the Scud!)... it was a precision tool: you can place it exactly where and how you want it... I fondly remember country lane ‘rallies’, starting at home with an immaculately clean car and after a blast arriving home with the car completely soaked in mud... good times!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I am an ANALOG MAN living in a digital world , I long for a Lambo Gallardo with a 6 speed manual. I dont think any new Ferrari can match the driving experience of my 89 328 . The speed and the high HP of the newer F cars are insane, so I fall back on my 220 rear wheel HP Suzuki. I do love the 488 GTB / Spyder, and if I was rich I would buy one, even though they are Paddle shifted They are so beautiful !! Its kind of like Ayrton Senna talking about his karting days, as PURE RACING. The older Ferraris , analog if you must , ARE PURE DRIVING MACHINES, its that simple. Ferrari has engineered the driving experience right out of their cars, stationwagons or SUV

Thank you, or

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I like juuuuust enough digital to keep me out of trouble... but enough analog to slap me if I'm an idiot behind the wheel.

20. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Analog, I guess?

What is this 'digital' you pups are screeching about?

:p

21. Catondrugs

Catondrugs Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
  22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Analog. All of my cars have been stick shift. Built my hot rod, no A/C, no PS, windup windows, drum brakes, no heater, no radio. straight axles. But I really enjoy driving it. About 4000 miles a summer. More fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow! My problem with the TR. cant really open it up! By the way the hot rod has a blown Hemi and is not too slow, but scary!

23. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have to admit that, at 77 yrs. , I love ‘em all.
    I have a series V Morgan- the ultimate analog car.
    I have a F575 with the early F1 transmission.
    I have a 612 OTO with the two clutch F1S.
    I have a 991S with dct and other digital aids.

A drive on the right road or track in any one of them will leave you smiling.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F