355 - As of now only looking to upgrade muffler...but which? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 As of now only looking to upgrade muffler...but which?

Discussion in '348/355' started by JohnnyTT, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello there. And thanks for chiming in to help. I certainly did. That's why I got them on the phone. I called two dealers, got two different answers. The forums, like you said are all over the place.

Spoke to Jordan over there. Actually spoke to two people, but he picked up because the other individual wasnt clear either!!

He said exactly what I said. He said it's that simple. Not sure how it always gets so overcomplicated.

Same exhausts, just different levels of packing.

I just re read your quote from the past thread three times. It's saying the same thing. Because in his explanation.... There are only 2 exhausts. Sound 2 and sound 3. And it sounds like they changed the labeling.

There are 3 exhausts. And 3 is the empty one. 1 is the quiet one. I think there must have been a change to make it easier.

You're going to think I'm wrong, but re read that over and over. I was baffled at first.

2. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John

Now this one throws me off. Hmmm...

3. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    #28 JohnnyTT, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    OK. Now I think I get it. I think the labeling changed. What that quote refers to as Sound 3 (1/3)... Seems to be just called 1 now.

Sound 2 (2/3) is now just 2.

And 3 now is empty and clear. It's the loud one.

I bet they changed it for sure based off what he said. Because we are saying the same thing. That and he triple confirmed 1 is the quietest valves closed.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Ask him what he stocks.

If current Cap 3 is the “loud one” … you should start seeing complaints on the forum the Capristo 3 is too loud (when bypass closed). No one has made such a complaint. You only hear complaints Capristo is too quiet when bypass is closed.

Show Jordan Erik’s post from 2014. Then he’ll understand why people are confused.

5. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    I will. Thanks for chiming in.

If they changed the labeling. Then that's it. The people with the quieter Sound 3, have what is now called 1. I wonder how long these folks have had theirs.

If not, they need to issue a news bulletin.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    BTW… that description on their website hasn’t changed in at least a decade since I first ordered. I ordered a Capristo 3 thinking it was the loudest one overall.

Now I understand it could be possible they changed the naming of the systems and it might be different currently, but I haven’t heard any feedback to corroborate that assumption.

JohnnyTT likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @Kokose7en didn’t you order a brand new Capristo 3 recently and just installed?

Read his description in this thread describing how quiet it is when bypass closed.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    at the end of the day the sound 2 exhaust is louder than the sound 3 exhaust when the valves are closed and the same when they are open.

We HIGHLY recommend getting the sound 3 (1&3) because when the valve is closed compared to open there is a drastic difference and it sound amazing. this is our most popular system for the F355.

Thank You
    Erik”

Only reason we even see Cap 2’s around or Capristo USA possibly having Cap 2’s in inventory is because of a surge in demand for it specifically after Erik came on Fchat to clarify. Prior to that, no one had a clue what they were buying.

If there is a “loud” version (when bypass closed), I need to know about it.

A majority of street driving is done with the bypass closed or partially closed, so my personal preference is to have some ummph down low. The Capristo is a quiet as a Lexus. The X-OST muffler actually meets my needs cruising around town. The perfect exhaust for me would be X-OST sound down low/ Capristo F1 scream up top. This is what I’m hoping the Larini muffler will be.

Other option is to run bypass open all the time on a Capristo. It might be too loud for some even with an OE Y-pipe. I ran it this way and it was fine for the highway, but pretty loud on idle. With an open y-pipe, I can imagine it’s insanely loud.

I prefer to run an open Y-pipe because I need that extra 10 rwhp :), so I need to find a balanced system that results in not-too-loud. Some extra pops and gurgles doesn’t hurt either :).

9. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There's only one and that's Nouvalari SS, cheaper than both you mentioned above and true high pitch F1 noise, buy their 200-cells race cats and you're done.

Carmellini likes this.
  10. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John

I sent a detailed email. Let's see what comes back.

Back when you got your answer, did a third exhaust exist?

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

When I first purchased the muffler, I assumed there were 3 versions (1,2,3), but I had very little interest in 1 and 2.

Erik clarified in his post there are only two mufflers. Capristo sound 2 (2/3) and sound 3 (1/3), although the website gives you options to choose 3 mufflers … 1,2,3. I’m going to assume if a buyer chose 1 or 3, they gave you a sound 3 and the muffler most likely indicated 1/3 on it. Remember…. Sound 3 is what they stocked.

12. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    But the website states this...??

This system is available in Sound 1/2/3: of which 3 is the loudest possible and most popular version.
    Sound 1: ca. 10 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 2: ca. 18 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 3: generates typical Ferrari F1 sound

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe this is the cause of confusion and what we're debating at the moment. That has been on their site for a decade.

"Sound 1: ca. 10 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 2: ca. 18 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 3: generates typical Ferrari F1 sound"

This part is correct if simply refers to description of sound.

Capristo 2 - Sound 2 (bypass closed)/Sound 3 (bypass open)

Capristo 3- Sound 1 (bypass closed)/Sound 3 (bypass open)

"This system is available in Sound 1/2/3: of which 3 is the loudest possible and most popular version."

For the past decade, half of this statement is false, although very insignificantly false. The Capristo 2 is the "loudest possible" and only by a slight margin when bypass closed. When bypass open, Cap 2 and 3 are the same. They are 98 % the same exhaust.

"Most popular version"

That's a bit misleading because they chose to stock Cap 3 for the most part since introduction. Most are going to buy what is in stock, especially if they are falsely telling customers it's the loudest version.

You can choose to believe a sales person who was probably hired 2-3 years ago. Or believe someone who actually went through a Cap 3 and now has a Cap 2. I actually had TWO Cap 2's at one point.

At this stage, you guys should already know who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Capristo USA is not Capristo Germany. They are simply a U.S distributor who picked up the Capristo name to push Capristo products. They are Taurino Racing. You want straight answers from the people who make the product? Contact Capristo Germany.

MAD828 likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    mymelody12 likes this.
  15. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    JohnnyTT and ShineKen like this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Exactly. You want Diet Coke or Coke Zero?

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @JohnnyTT update?

Helped my buddy pick up his 355 today from GTO Engineering.

2.7 car. Throttle body sync/tune by GTO Engineering. Fabspeed headers, straight pipes, Kreissieg Spiral Y-pipe, Capristo bypass, Capristo 3 muffler. I got a chance to drive the car on the highway for about 45 min. with a mix of traffic and non traffic conditions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en and Qavion like this.
  18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I have X-OST on my 550 and i think its the best sounding exhaust i've ever heard on the 550, its nice and comfortable to live with yet when you get on it gives you a nice F1 pitched howl , i love it.
    haven't heard it on 355 though- Rite now on my 355 i think it has Mille Miglia exhaust, it sounds great but way too crazy for normal driving.

sound clip on the 550

ShineKen likes this.
  19. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    #44 JohnnyTT, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    So after multiple conversations with two different people at capristo, there are three systems all physically the same. The difference is the amount of packing inside to quiet it down......1 having the most packing, 2 less, and 3 the least or none. (Don't remember)

One individual thinks the confusion comes from the fact there used to be two systems.

3 is the loudest and most often purchased.

I purchased the 1.

Once it arrives, I'll post pics and updates. But that will be a month or two since it's not stocked.

Appreciate all the discussion. ;)

ShineKen likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha ok so im really confused now. if you want max sound with valves open and the least amount of drone when closed, which do you go with?

21. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Sound 3 is the loudest.

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    does 3 also drone the most with valves closed?

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Probably best to clarify “Sound 3” is the loudest, which is incorporated in both the Capristo 2 & 3.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    With all the Capristo variations, they don’t drone when valve closed. There’s also not much sound coming out of it either. Pretty quiet.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I still doubt that is correct. More like damage control for saying the incorrect thing.

"the fact there used to be two systems" - when did they offer 3 systems or rename systems?

Anyone here buy a Capristo 3 as of recent? I had a Capristo 3 and my buddy has a Capristo 3 right now. I just drove his car last week. The claims aren't matching up with what I'm hearing.