At last! | FerrariChat

At last!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Apr 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    absostone and synchro like this.
  2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    wish I could find one of those

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Persevere - everything comes to he who waits!

I found mine on ebay - I put in a search with an alert and after years of getting daily rubbish, eventually this one popped up.

I came across one idea that I was thinking of pursuing (in desperation!), which was to buy one of these: https://www.karmannkonnection.com/shop/porsche-356911912914-steering-wheelshorn-pushbuttons/momo-style-horn-button/ and replace the Porsche logo with the Dino one from my repro horn button. I am not entirely convinced, however, that it would work.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh so the center button can be replaced? I think it’s been discussed but never knew if possible. Cool

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I saw an article / post about it somewhere - sorry, no idea where - but please don't take my word for it as I have not tried.

6. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    Is there anything disturbing you on the repro you show besides the black instead silver ring?

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    DinoParts, Stefan likes this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  9. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I had no idea what you were referring to, he stressed me out so I had to run home and check mine. Luckily this is what I found. I think I’m good. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bluebottle and DinoParts, Stefan like this.
  10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The original horn push is very different to your repro Stefan. The outer ring on the original is a glossy plastic, the silver ring on the original is not a chrome finish, the yellow of the badge is a different shade and the Dino script is also different. This sort of thing is a nightmare to get right as I'm sure Rob and Paul will attest to from their experience of accurately reproducing the wheel centre caps.

UroTrash likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Why do you say the inner ring was not chrome? I believe they are. I believe the tops of the Ns were more rounded in the script on original

12. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I’m confused?? Is mine original or a repo? No harm, just curious. Always trying to learn. Thanks

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I'll try and get a phot later. The ring is not a bright chrome finish. It is more of an aluminium silver paint finish.

schwoo, your horn push is an original.

schwoo likes this.
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like the real thing to me. Unless mine isn't!:eek:

schwoo likes this.
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine looks like a sort of satin finish chrome / aluminium. Definitely dull, not bright. I thought it was just a sign of age.

Yellow and blue shades are different from the one I had and look different from the Dinoparts version, too.

16. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    Thank you for pointing that out, Iain. I could compare with an original sample and comfirm most of what you list. Only the silver ring on the original sample here is quit shiny and most probably chromed plastic.

I will speak to our supplier and see if we can make a perfect copy at cost that you guys will be willing to pay.

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I don't have photo's of my Dino horn pushes to hand Stefan but do have these of a Ferrari version I have which is the same except for the Cavalino replacing the Dino script on the yellow badge. The trim ring is a silver finish on it as well as opposed to the bright chrome plating you tend to find on plastics. From memory I think the rear of the original is different to your reproductions as well with a different style of connector for the spade coupling. It is a few years now since I looked at these and may be confusing your repro design with some of the others out there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    absostone likes this.
  19. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    Perfect. I have one original here in a car and if the owner allows we will use that as a sample. Will update when there is progress but it will take a few month before things like this finish.

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I checked looks like I have an original along with an original wheel... the wheel is not quite as fresh as those pictured but I bought it from a reliable source about 5 years ago as original.....but I would not have known about the silver ring...

21. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    Just found out: the silver ring is metal. Pretty sure it is zinc galvanized. The exposed part of the ring is almost dull the hidden part still shiny.

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yup that's a problem

24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    You could always try an offer. I paid £158 for mine.

25. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I bought it with a slightly less than asking price offer because I wanted to make mine correct. They sent me a new reproduction which arrived today!! The seller argued with me back and forth that it was the correct part and I should take it to my Ferrari dealer to be verified. Looking back at the ad it is the same picture in the eBay ad that John bought his horn button - obviously copied and pasted into a scam ad. I talked to eBay - they say they will make sure it gets worked out.