attachment of horn brush holder for 250 GT Pininfarina coupe SII | FerrariChat

attachment of horn brush holder for 250 GT Pininfarina coupe SII

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by John Gillon, Oct 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    250 GT Pininfarina coupe series II - Please post a photo, or describe how the cylindrical brush holder for the horn is attached to the bracket, so as to maintain contact with the brass ring on the steering column.

TIA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    If my memory serves me correctly, there should be a brass "V" screwed down with aproppriate nylon/pertinax insulation. I think I have a few stashed somewhere as they cost me a penny a piece, probabaly Fiat or Alfa parts originally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Hi Kare and Ed,

Thank you for your responses, and you have both solved a mystery with a simple solution. Such is the discovery process, when you don't have the information in knowing what the original parts were, and making assumptions as to what the original parts were ie. my "cylindrical brush holder" is complete BS!

I deduce from your information, that the outer part of the "V" is made of spring steel, that applies pressure to a "V" made of brass, which is the electrical contact to the brass ring on the steering column.

I agree with Ed, that we could easily make these (and Thank you Ed, for your detailed photos), but also directed at Kare... if you were willing to part with your stash, and you provided further details on what you were offering, we would be happy to pay for them.

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Correct: the steel "V" supports the brass contact. Ed's photos are excellent, and it will be easy to make the missing parts. Would be happy to send you a contact piece for free, but unfortunately they are buried somewhere with other random pieces I've collected through the years and I may not live long enough ever to see them again.

Ed's pics are also informative how these fail: road grime will finally wear the blades out, unless season cracking gets there first.

5. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks Kare,

We are capable of making such minor parts, and moreso with the support of Ed and yourself, and this wider F-chat community. Your "may not live long enough" comment does reinforce that "care-taking" is what this pursuit is all about...

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm trying to apply stickers to everything I have so my kid does not end up putting it all to trash one day. I write what it is, a date and a resonable value for that piece on that date, so he'll get an idea what is worth keeping and what is not. Then I have two boxes: one says "Random Ferrari parts" and the other "UFO parts not belong to anything built on earth".

readplays likes this.
  7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    my contact piece is from my 250 58 ellena - looks similar to many many models so one of these or parts should be available somewhere - u may want to try susie pilkington in the UK who has tons of disassembled 250 GTE cars in their possession. Obviously these small parts are easy to replicate as well. Just need to be sure that the brass contact strip to the steering column is insulated from the mounting bracket.

readplays likes this.
  8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    John, she is on Fchat if you decide to reach out: @suziep

Dave

9. John Gillon

John Gillon Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gillon
    Thanks Ed and Dave, Yes we are in contact with Suzie and she has provide lots of support in sourcing parts.

enio45 and readplays like this.