Aussie Aircraft Thread | Page 123 | FerrariChat

Aussie Aircraft Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steve355F1, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Whomo!....:)

2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    [Aircon, post: 147233823, member: 199"]I think I'd find it quite exciting[/QUOTE]

So would your passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Steve355F1 and Maranello550 like this.
  3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So would your passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat[/QUOTE]Exactly

4. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Exactly I am starting to find this bs annoying...[/QUOTE]

5. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    WTF is Alice?

simon klein likes this.
  6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Alice,Alice ^^^^^^^ :D

.....and...

Am I ever going to see your face again?

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    You can find his pictures on Grindr

Maranello550 likes this.
  8. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  9. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Are you expecting a call from 1994?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocker, Maranello550 and Steve355F1 like this.
  10. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    From Forest Gump?

Or Dumb and Dumber?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

greg246 likes this.
  11. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The Village people are on their way for BBQ prawns...The Queens are hoping for King prawns...:)

Steve355F1 likes this.
  12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    https://www.military.com/video/full-f-22-demo-look-inside-raptor

Maj. Josh ‘Cabo’ Gunderson demonstrates each maneuver of the F-22. From the raw thrust of the max vertical takeoff to the the extreme maneuverability of the pedal turn and tail slide, enjoy a ride inside the cockpit of one of the world's most technologically advanced fighter jets. (U.S. Air Force video)

Steve355F1 likes this.
  13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Gosh I laugh at the mindless boosterism of the EV lobby, which never questions the logic of taxpayers being forced to subsidise cars and planes for a tiny minority of urban elitists.

The Cessna Caravan is the workhorse of remote aviation. They're everwhere in developing countries, carrying people AND freight. The standard model weighs 2145kg. This electric version 3629. logically, that's nearly 1500kg of cargo load the EV can't carry, which renders the plane useless for any commercial operator.

The French govt has just announced a 7000 euro subsidy for EV cars. The average french worker will work half a year to contribute the tax to pay for that. 7K is also 6 months of unemployment benefit in France. Where's the morality in that?

DMWC and Maranello550 like this.
  14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'll tell you what else is disgusting and wasteful....some moron has invented something called a motor and experimented with putting it in a cart.

How absurd! All those poor horses are going to be put out of work.

All that extra weight in the cart which could otherwise have been used for freight or passengers. All those developing nations who use the horse and cart as a workhorse are going to suffer. It'll never work.

15. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gee you are digging up old posts.

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

greg246 likes this.
  16. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary

Gizzi likes this.
  17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Yeah, because mining isn’t subsidised by government in Australia: see here where because the Fuel Tax Credit is ‘not a subsidy’, the mining industry only gets .02% of revenue from government subsidies - https://minerals.org.au/news/australian-mining-not-subsidised-taxpayers
    What they DON’T clarify is that .02% is based on revenues of $221b - so $442m worth of benefit...

18. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with you, Ian, but I must pull you up on your numbers.

All versions of the Caravan have a max takeoff weight of 3629kg. This electric one would not be able to have a higher MTOW than the normal one without going through a lengthy and costly re-certification process.
    Where there may be a difference is in empty weight, which of course if the electric one is heavier then that would eat into the useful load. However, my suspicion is that there wouldn’t be a lot between the two, once the weight of fuel is taken into account.

I suspect that where the electric one would really fall short would be in range / endurance.
    The normal caravan has a range of up to 1000nm. I’d be surprised if the electric one could manage a quarter of that with current battery tech.

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    So I do a little digging and sure enough, our taxes paid for this engine, directly via govt grants and indirectly via QLD Uni involvement.

https://www.australianmanufacturing.com.au/43975/magnix-wins-2-5m-government-grant-to-develop-electric-aircraft-engine

Magnix is not Australian, it was acquired by The Clermont Group in 2014. Clermont is a Singapore company.

Research grants are 100% politicised in Australia. Anything that ticks the climate change / renewables box gets prioritised. Meanwhile, genuinely practical Aussie inventions, such as the CITS motor, collapse through lack of interest. https://citsengine.com/

btw CITS inventor Basil Van Rooyen is a former F1 privateer who now lives in Sydney. Fascinating life story here: https://www.basilvanrooyen.com/

knocker and Maranello550 like this.
  20. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Fascinating read Ian,thanx.

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I have to say that I was getting bored with the EV stuff but if you don't look for an alternative to the ICE then you are doomed .

No matter what anyone says there is a finite amount of fossil fuels and although it will be around long after we are gone, the next generation or the generation after them will be looking down the barrel of dwindling available supplies of petroleum.

So for us "fossils" we couldn't care less about EV but the future generations WILL care, and as we've seen, with cars and aircraft out of the picture the environment looks way better so I hope they continue to develop these alternatives for our future generations ...... in the meantime we can keep burning the fossil fuels in our Ferraris enjoying the brilliant sounds they make.

For the first time today I could actually hear another Ferrari's exhaust sound over Satan's :p

Kim's 360 sounded great and even Troy noticed the sound over Satan :D

You need a Challenge Stradale vent at the back Kim, would seriously improve the 360's arse end appeal :)

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    So what ?

I was going to start a tropical fish business selling salt water fish to the US back in 1987 with a mate who did most of the research and he found we could get a grant for $110,000 a year just for supplying the information to the government via the James Cook University for the amount of fish per a certain amount of square metres of reef (they wanted the number of each species per area we were going to collect the fish from)

Our plan was to scan an area of the reef that had the number and type of fish we had pre-arranged to ship to an aquarium person in the US during the day (this was when we would count the fish) and then light up the area from the trawler we were about to buy and as fish are territorial, collect them while they were "sleeping" of a night ...... fish are mostly docile of a night and much easier to catch, you just have to be careful of the Noahs.

We had designed a fish trap that would be lowered from the underneath of the trawler and we could put the fish into the trap after scooping them up.

Unfortunately my mate had a stroke and I didn't trust anyone else as a diving buddy so we lost a small amount of money on that venture but if anyone would like to take it up I still have all of the info and contacts from the time we were about to attempt it.

There were a few other people doing it at the time but they were a little to disorganised for the JCU people but still made good money.

23. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Pics or it never happened....:)

Gizzi and Steve355F1 like this.
  24. Aircon

BANNED