Aussie Testarossa rebuild | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Aussie Testarossa rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by uzz32soarer, May 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Heee ... why didn't you ask that ....... have to drive to the shed again ! ;)

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #252 Melvok, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Good work Mel. So in both cases we can see that the lower pivot point is towards the rear of the car and the blades of the rotary adjuster on top is also orientated in the same direction on each side.

Thanks Mel.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed !

Funny that the WMS is not clear at all about this ... or am I a bad reader ?

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How are/were your handbrakes when you opened it Robert; did you have to renew it all ?

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Just saw this...GREAT pictures and commentary! Also I might add...THAT is a REAL man cave, a cave that is a working man cave. Not some sissy man cave with $100,000 perfect cabinets with only corkscrew in it and built in wine cooler.

7. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    It's gotten worse since this thread started. Now trying to work in the shop around two other hoists with cars and bikes seemingly hanging from the rafters. Been a couple of new additions since this thread kicked off.

8. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is a top thread Robert!

9. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Sorry guys, been away from this project dealing with other issues for a while. Then a mate here in Melbourne started giving me serious grief about the car being off the road for so long, so I'm back at it again. Pics to follow from the work over the Christmas period.

10. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #260 uzz32soarer, Jan 13, 2014
    Previous images show the underside of the engine and gearbox complete and restored along with the fully refurbished lower sub frame and suspension.

Once completed, I rotated the engine on the stand and began working on the upper section.

The engine was pretty clean but the usual build up of deposits and grime under the throttle body assembly was found. This is a difficult area to maintain as access is virtually impossible without serious amounts of strip down.

Once I got to that stage, then it was a simple matter of keep stripping parts off until I got down to the bare block.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Great project! How will you construct a manifold from the supercharger to the upper intake manifolds? I would like to see a picture of the underside of the upper intake manifolds please.

Here is my project and the manifold problem was solved with a custom aluminum piece (Not made by me).

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/405725-its-mine-its-all-mine-wahahaha.html

12. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #262 uzz32soarer, Jan 14, 2014
    Seems strange that some Testa's have painted engines and some are raw alloy. My 87 car s raw alloy, yet both 88 cars have painted engines.

Over the years some of the paint had flaked, particularly under the fuel injection system where there isn't much airflow. Probably caused by heat buildup in this area. I started cleaning the top of the engine about 10 months ago. Some paint came off easy, but some was seriously affixed to the block. Months and months of work with various wire brushes, rotary tools, dremels etc, and finally I had the block back to metal. Then the issues began. I searched the World for an aluminum etch primer that was heat resistant. Thought that wouldn't be too difficult but it proved to be near impossible. Plenty of etch primers for alloy, but none designed to take the temps of an engine.

In the end my Son talked to his painters at RAAF and put me onto a product by PPG Aerospace designed as an etch primer in engine bays of planes and spaceships.

It has to be applied when ambient temperatures were between 26 and 35 degrees centigrade so I had to wait till Summer came around again before I could do this part of the project. Goodness knows what Ferrari used as for the most part it has stood the test of time and apart from the flaky area, it was still in good shape.

I applied the primer which was a nasty fluro green / turquoise colour. Next day I applied another PPG aircraft coating in white to neutralize the primer colour. Then I dusted over the top in a custom colour enamel to simulate cast alloy which was as best as I could locate to replicate the original Ferrari colour.

Suzie got handed a job when she got home from work one night to scrape a little overspray off the head flanges.

13. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
  14. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #264 uzz32soarer, Jan 14, 2014
  15. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #265 uzz32soarer, Jan 14, 2014
    Finally it was time to start re-assembly of the upper section of the engine. Suzie and the 'family' were all keen to help, cleaning, cleaning and then some more cleaning...................................!!!!!

First step, clean the loom and lay it all out. Make any small repairs needed and then fit it onto the engine and figure out where it all goes.

Alternator on and fitted off. This is a great place to start as you have a number of wires that terminate here, and also three sections of the loom that go under the alternator.

Temporarily fit the starter as this also assists to lay the loom properly.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for a TR there is no limit with work :)
    looks pretty good and last longer than new

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    How did you get such an eager helper?

Ago

18. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I think she want's it off the hoist as she knows that her's is next to go on David.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    INCREDIBLE ........ better / nicer than new :D

20. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I've been following this project with interest as I would like to do something similar next engine out service, in a couple of years time. Not sure how far I will go, but with threads like these, will make my job much easier.............thanks Robert

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    What is her car that is next to go on the hoist?

Ago

22. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    She has an 88 Testa in blue and a 56 Thunderbird convertible that are vying for attention David.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Now I understand.

Ago

24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello Robert! Awesome results! You have contributed many great posts and lots information over the years, much to the benefit of Testarossa owners everywhere. I always enjoy your threads, and will be following this one as well. Take Care Old Friend!

25. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    great updates,can you give us the aircraft primer pic and part numbers?