Aussie Testarossa rebuild | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aussie Testarossa rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by uzz32soarer, May 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #26 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes it does take an extra effort at the end of a long day to clean up and then post, but it's great reference material for everybody, me inclusive.

One of the worst things to remove from the car are the front shockers.

There are four nuts on top and one bolt through the shocker eye down below. Two 13mm nuts at the front upper are easy. Unless they are rusted badly you will get them off without too much problems. Use a 6 hex spanner or socket to get to them.

The two at the rear closest to the body work are REALLY difficult. The most forward one can be done with a 6 hex ring spanner if you are careful, but the other one is a nightmare.

I tried for two days before coming up with a solution. A 13mm 6 hex ring spanner with a double offset. This means that the bend is twice as long (or deep) as a normal ring spanner and you can just get this in there and mkae tiny turns at a time.

Of the eight studs, two screwed out, one snapped and the other nuts came off.

Not so easy down below on the big 19mm nut / bolt. The nut rattled off fine. Generally I replace these Nylocks so I screw the nut back on about half, give it a belt with the hammer and the bolt slides right out.

Not this time! Something was holding the bolt seriously tight and it simply would not come out. I have a 1.2m breaker bar for doing up things that are simply bloody tight. With a 6 hex impact socket attached I gave it my best and bang went my back.

Limped inside and Suzie lay me down and had to massage my back and put me to bed. Next day I tried again, and this time - some movement! BUT.........it was actually the centre of the bush tearing away from the rubber of the shocker bush. It ended up turning quite freely, but wouldnt come out.

The hammers got bigger. First a ball peen, then a BIG ball pee, then a mash hammer, then a sledge hammer and still nothing.

Then the Oxy set came out and I heated the head and end of the bolt. I figured that water had got in there and rusted the shocker bush central steel sleeve to the bolt. Maybe heat would break the bond. Nope, no such luck.

Okay, stuffed at this point and looking for options. Out to the tool store and came home with an air hacksaw and a selection of super strong carbon steel blades in 24t.

Carefully, I slipped the blade onto the rubber and cut through to the bush. Then through the bush, through the centre bolt and out the other side. Then move to the other side of the shocker and repeat. Three hours per side. Man those bastard bolts are strong. Must be a grade 10 at least.

Finally I could release the lower control arm bolts, flip the arm out of the way and extract the strut.

Once I removed the bush from the shocker I could see the bolt seriously fused into the bush. Good thing that I didn't need a wheel alignment as this bolt must be removed to fit the alignment shims in alongside the lower ball joint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #27 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
    Todays effort:

The studs need to be removed from the alloy shocker mounts so that they can be cleaned up and sent off for coating. The factory look for these would have been raw alloy, but this gets very grimy over the years and looks like crap. I'm going to have mine anodised in natural alloy colour and then clear powdercoated so that the finish remains and they are easy to keep clean.

The rubber / steel mounts will be cleaned up and then CAD coated. New stainless studs will be fitted with coppper coated nuts so that there are no future rust issues.

First step was the wire wheel again, then into the sandblaster and then the studs removed.

I needed oxy to get them out and managed by heating the alloy around the studs and using a rotary stud extractor tool. Three broke and had to be drilled out. What a PITA!

Anyway 9 hours later I have the shocker mounts all ready to go off to be coated.

3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #28 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
  4. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Rob, nice work! Hows the back? I see a fair bit of work to be completed to get the old girl back on the road and tested before the middle of July..I suspect that the corrosion problems start when the car is driven on roads that have not long ago been salted as is the history of most of our UK imports. What sort of cost and turnaround time to do the shocks? Let us know what you come up with to replace the Nylocs as the originals and even the US suppliers shove it right up there as we bend to take it. Why not just clear coat the alloy bits rather than anodise and clear? I do not think you will have any issues again as the car will see little or no water in its life..

5. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    Nice work, and fantastic pictures. Any chance of talking you into cutting the roof of while you are there. Australia needs a Straman! ...and looks like you have a garage that could take it on.

6. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'm going to anodise first to ensure consistency of colour and finish on all parts. Then clear coat to protect.

7. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Nylocks are a problem these days. Metric standard accross the world is blue and Imperial standard is white. Virtually impossible to get yellow and white anymore.

8. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #33 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
  9. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    What a super thread Rob. It's a great credit to you that you can not only get the nasty jobs done AND take the time to post the pics, but do it with such good humour. It's amazing what nasties lurk when you start to disassemble....Keep up the good work, I'll be watching your progress with interest. Cheers.

Mark

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sorry to hear of the diff mate, but what a GREAT thread! Love the pics, you are doing a great job so far.

Certainly looking forward to seeing more progress. Looks like a lot of fun.

11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    wow. Great thread - this is an education..in a few things.

Your wife could run courses for other wives on how to stand by your man. Shopping for hoists together etc etc. Bravo!

You could run courses on how to remain calm in the face of adversity, and even how to doubledown in such situations ('ok, so I'm going to fix this diff explosion, and...just rebuild the whole suspension while I'm there. But before that I need to get another hoist to join the other two. Honey, hook up the trailer and get your purse').

Mind boggling as well that the motorbike and dinghy suggest this is not your only hobby.

More power to you!

12. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You have the life of a "King" Robert!!....a garage full of Great cars...& in your home a "Loving Wife".....with the effort & most importantly TIME that is required to free a rusted bolt, it is becoming patently apparent, why "Complete Restorations" cost a "Queen's Ransom"!!!....Mark

13. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I don't know about the 'King' part Mark. I reckon if I was a king I'd pay someone to do this crap and go drive the Pantera in the meantime.

Weather is crap here though. No cars or bikes go out in this rain, so I may as well spend my days in the sandblasting cabinet. The garage is warm, the stereo is pumping. It's not all bad.

14. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #39 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
    Thanks Guy. Yep, Suzie doesn't like to miss out on much. I bought a new bike a couple of years ago after a 20+ year spell from riding. Didn't take long until she booked a rider training course and came home with her licence. Now she's stepped up from a GS500 to a Ducati ST2.

I was doing rear hubs one night and she wanders down to the garage and looks over the work. Naturally she had to pick up a small paint brush and touch up the chips on the bolt heads where the socket or spanner had connected.

Cleaning cooling pipes in an earlier repair to the injection system.

Cutting new door liners when we rebuilt the rubbers and seals on the doors.

15. UncleRay

UncleRay Karting

Dec 28, 2009
    Hastings, Minn.
    Nice photos and necessary information for me and others that are potential Testarossa buyers. Thankyou.

16. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Testarossa- They say it's like buying a light plane and maintaining a helicopter.

Guess what, it's worse because there are not many 25 year old helicopters that have worked in salty environments still flying. Now you can see why.

17. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Going all the way back to your original quote for the job from a Ferrari workshop,I think you said about $40K?
    How do you think they would have treated the situations that have unfolded for you thus far?

I think you're going to be SO much better off going down this road,to say nothing about the lessons everybody else is getting out of this thread.
    Being the type off time bomb Ferrari created with these things,you could write a manual with your experience.

Top job mate.

18. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I expect that it would have been treated like any other engine out service. Replace what was required and put it back together. I'm sure I would have been driving it a month ago.

Unless you specify differently, 99% of mechanics will do a repair job, not a restoration / repair job. Yes, the decent ones will always replace the Nylocks, especially on critaical components like the 16 sub frame removal bolts and the 4 upper frame bolts, but how many would replace the sheet metal tab plates on the CV joints and things like that.

I certainly wouldn't want to pay a Ferrari mechanice for the 8 / 9 hours that it took yesterday to remove the shocker studs and restore those parts ready for plating!

I might be getting a little carried away though. This morning I've made a jig to spread the handbrake cable spring so I can clean it properly and then plate it all around the spring wire.

Ah well..............makes me happy! Most of the time.

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Rob,
    Are you aware of the term OCD? :)

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Wow, just wow.
    I've been looking 20 years for a girl like that.
    I think these Yankee girls around here are just too "girly".

21. spazgaz

spazgaz Karting

Aug 1, 2007
    Melbourne
    #46 spazgaz, May 2, 2012
  22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I hope you mean the 512M diff.?
    With the exception of the very very late 512TR's the diffs are the same in the TR's and 512TR's

23. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #48 uzz32soarer, May 2, 2012
    Nothing wrong with 'girlie'!

You just need to find one that can wear two hats. The 'girlie' hat when you need a girlie woman, and the 'mate' hat when you need a hand in the garage.

The old girl shapes up okay, for a part time mechanic that is...................

24. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Great thread.
    Boy, you boys in Melbourne are hard on your cars, but I s'pose with TA's like that it takes some of the pain away.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel