AustrianGP 2020 Pre-Race thread | Page 12 | FerrariChat

AustrianGP 2020 Pre-Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    For me its Hamilton and F1 jumping on the this matters and that matters band wagon. Makes me sick. I dont see how people are being held back. And why do we need to know about anyone elses pride ion F1. So what, Lets race and keep your crap to yourself. I Dont see how HAM has been held back. Hes about to surpass MS.

lagunacc likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53240762

Verstappen has won the past two Austrian Grands Prix, and Red Bull's car has always been competitive in Hungary. So the Dutchman has what would appear to be a very strong chance of taking the fight to Hamilton as the year gets under way, even if the lack of fans at races means he won't be serenaded by his army of orange-clad fans this time.

Red Bull's competitiveness at their own circuit is partly caused by the fact that the track is located at an altitude of 800m, which appears to favour the Honda engine compared with the Mercedes.

This, engine boffins at the teams say, is down to how each manufacturer has chosen to design and run its turbo. Mercedes is believed to run its turbo and compressor at the regulation maximum 125,000rpm limit more often than Honda. This gives optimum efficiency most of the time.

Report:
    But at altitude the turbo and compressor have to work harder to compensate for the lack of oxygen in the atmosphere if the engine is to produce the same power.

If the turbo is already running usually at maximum revs, there is no headroom to increase its speed to compensate for altitude, and the engine becomes what is known as 'saturated'. By contrast, an engine that is optimised to run less often at maximum turbo revs can speed up its turbo and compressor to compensate, reducing the performance differential between the two.

This effect is most pronounced in Mexico City, where the track is at 2,000m, but also applies in Austria and Brazil - all three are races where the Honda and Renault engines have appeared in the past few seasons to take a step forward in competitiveness compared with Mercedes.

Nevertheless, it would be a bold move to predict that Mercedes will struggle for competitiveness in Austria.

For one thing, that was 2018 and 2019 - it is not known whether the design of the respective engines has changed in this respect over the winter.

Secondly, Mercedes' struggles in Austria in the past two seasons have had two very specific causes.

In 2018, Hamilton and team-mate Valtteri Bottas were running one-two before both retired with hydraulic system failures.

And in 2019, the team had made a mistake on its cooling package at the design stage, which could not be sufficiently fixed during the season. This meant the car ran too hot when the ambient temperature was above a certain level. Race day in Austria was over 30C, so the engine had to be run detuned.

There is no reason to believe that either of these handicaps will apply in 2020.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Understood, we're keeping P&R in P&R, do feel free to post all your thoughts there. Much thanks @absostone Enjoy the race.

william and absostone like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #279 Nembo1777, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Actually not that it is important to me, I am 1000% a Ferrari and its drivers suporter but FYI he has had that 'And still we rise" motto for years, it is not related to recent events it is about rising from defeat to beat adversity and win. That he would add BLM is I guess predictable and for the record I wish politics and current events would not intrude upon the sport but such are the times we live in. Of course everyone is so much more informed of the news nowadays whereas in the 70's a top F1 journalist asked an F1 driver what he thought of (new US President) Jimmy Carter and the driver answered: What team does he drive for? :rolleyes::D Just a little ignorant.

Anyway never mind liveries etc is practice shown in live streaming? Let's go!

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Which motto?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Re-read my post.

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Hoping the Mercs rise many times throughout practice, quali and the race.

zygomatic likes this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    One positive thing , we don't need to suffer the likes of Bieber hanging around on the grid ...still miss the GG though;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The "Still We Rise" motto just changed this year(2020).

Before the motto was "Still I Rise"....which has a singular connotation.

The "Still We Rise" motto now has either a team connotation or a BLM connotation or both since the team are now "Black Arrows" along with the BLM movement.

But yes, I agree with you when it comes to P&R matters regarding these issues that are currently going on in the world today.

lagunacc and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Merc: Black Cars Matter? :p

pilotoCS likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Sorry guys I’ll tone it done here

paulchua likes this.
  12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Dunno, but this whole thing is complete crap and nonsense, imo.

tifosi12, lagunacc and Igor Ound like this.