Auxiliary Air Valve | FerrariChat

Auxiliary Air Valve

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraridoc, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've been chasing an idle issue, and one of the things I checked was the AAV. It seems to work fine, but I notice that when closed, I can still get a little air past it by blowing hard. Is it normal to have a small leak like that, or should it be as tight as a fish's arse?

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Patrick l wondered the same thing but found that they do leak a bit of air when completely closed..l tested this with a brand new AAV that l recently installed on my car..
    The one l fitted is a QV part,it worked perfectly on my 328 as well..(they are more commonly available and less expensive than the 328 part)
    l was experiencing irregular idle issues when it was cold and found my original AAV was sticking..l replaced it and it idles perfectly now..
    Also you may already know that this part only plays a role in the cold idle of the car,,once it’s warmed up and opens up,it no longer affects the idle..

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    What are the idle issues?
    hot or cold idle?
    High or low?

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah mate, I know how it works. It would cold idle fine at higher revs, once warmed up it would idle properly, but after a long drive, it would idle too low - typically coming off a highway up to a set of lights, the revs would just die. Restart easily, but from then on I would have to keep a bit of throttle on it. Carl suggested the AAV wasn't closing initially, and the idle was adjusted to compensate, but after enough heat soak got into it, it would fully shut, and then the idle would be too low - a good theory, but is closes fine on the heating element, and putting it in the oven didn't change anything, so I'm moving onto the next thing.

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've actually ordered a gas analyser to make sure the mixture is set properly before I go fiddling with another bit

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Sounds like a good start..
    If you were down in Sydney you could have borrowed mine..l bought one when l had the GT4..

7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Which gas analyzer? I am heading in the same direction and diagnostic tools are on my buy list. Thanks.

8. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I have a Innovate LM2,,
    l had a bung welded into the front and rear header and had a sensor in each..l could only test one bank at a time though..

9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've ordered a Gunson - quite cheap, like me.

10. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks very much on the references.

On idle issues for what it's worth have you checked your Throttle Position Switch?
    On my 308 the idle position was not engaging because of the mounting angle AND the WOT limit had no continuity.
    The TPS controls a relay and feeds o the Jetronic.

11. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No TPS in Oz. Maybe on the 328's Aus delivered, as they were the first ones with cats here.

12. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oh that's right, the Euro cars don't have one. I forgot.
    On US cars the TPS feeds into the Jetronic which controls the frequency valve.

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #14 Steve Magnusson, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    That component is what Ferrari calls an "electrovalve" in their documentation (it's a three-way electrically-controlled pneumatic valve). My recollection is that having one in the position you show is only used on 1983 US version 3.0L V8 to run the diverter valve of the air injection system. What year/version/model is that engine picture?

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ta Steve,
    All my pollution gear has been removed - I guess the mechanic left that in to plug a hole, or maybe complete a circuit. I've been trying to chase down all the bloody hoses and found this thing. The top hose loops around and plugs into the back, and the bottom hose disappears under the intake runners.