Avoid Dependable Auto Shippers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Avoid Dependable Auto Shippers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RED GTS, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8943post

8943post Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

We've enjoyed a very long relationship with Don Willams and his folks at the Blackhawk Museum. Don is one of the GOOD GUY classic car dealers out there!

2. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    Sorry to hear about your fiasco. I go with Gary Almond when at all possible since it's his company and he's the person that personally handles the car. I've used him for a Murcielago, 360 spider, Viper just to name a few. No one even comes close IMO.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Oh ****........... I didn't see this thread.

I just had my car picked up by them........ Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW- I tried Gary, he never called or emailed me back after we spoke.

4. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gary did a fantastic job for me delivering the 355. His is a one man show so when he is on the road it may take some time for him to return calls. Problem with Intercity for me is that they dont transport to more isolated locations.
    Chris

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Intercity delivered my '62 Benz 300SL, Jag XK120 and 365GT 2+2 last week and picked up my E-Type and Z8 for transportation to California for the summer.
    The drivers (husband and wife) were professional, courteous and extremely careful in getting my cars off the rig and loading the two back on. They meticulously checked the cars to be shipped and were a pleasure to deal with.
    I have used Intercity for all my transportation needs for the past five years, between Phoenix and S. Cal and I heartly recommend them.

I would never use a discount carrier to handle a valuable asset like a collector car. The savings are never worth the potential aggravation.

6. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    had a very similar experience many years ago and would avoid them at all costs - even if they offered to pay me to transport my cars.

7. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    EXACTLY the problem w/ DAS. your car is also likely to sit at a "transfer station" also not owned by them until the next sublet truck coming through can take the car. Only deal with Horseless, Exotic, VIP, Passport, Intercity, etc who own do no sub-leasing and deliver cars on the same truck into which they were initially loaded. I've had very good experiences with all of the above.

8. C4talyst

C4talyst Karting

May 28, 2005

9. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've shipped 11 cars this year and used DAS once. They delivered the car a total mess. After that I used a few companies such as A-1 Autos and Horseless Carriage. Nothing but good things about them. Either way I refuse to use DAS and I am very suprised anyone uses them, I have never heard anything good about them. My question is do they purposely damage cars or what's the deal???

Forza,
    Kevin

10. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    I rented a nice big yellow enclosed trailer (looked great behind my yellow H2!) for $200 for a weekend and drove the 350 miles and picked up my car. I realize that's not feasible for coast to coast shipping, but it was a fun experience. Plus, I felt every bump in the road that the car and trailer did, so I knew it was in good hands :)

11. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    This thread makes me glad that the seller and I chose Horseless Carriage instead of DAS when executing our transaction a few years back. We had looked at DAS, including their options for top-rack transport, etc., but just didn't have a good feeling, especially with some of their insurance limitations (at least at that time). In contrast to the posted DAS experience, our Horseless Carriage transaction went smoothly, with no surprises. And, as I recall, the quoted prices were nearly identical.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #37 LetsJet, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok,

Since I told you I was using them, I'll tell you my experience.

I had a expedite service delivery date of 6/8/05..... They missed the date and didn't even start moving until the 9th. But, I was able to track the truck and they had it here on Sunday. I was contacted on Sunday for delivery today and it arrived clean on a flatbed.

Now, this was not a Ferrari.......... It was a Jeep GCL.

3....2....1.... touchdown
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    for east-west my all time favourite is Gold Rush. pick up times much faster than intercity and east bound much easier.

14. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    4 days late and in good shape. Thats not bad at all. I would be very happy with that kind of service for the price they charged. Good to here someone actually had a GOOD experience with them. Maybe exotics just take a little more TLC, the kind of TLC they are unwilling to give...

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Topper:

Get the name of the insurance carrer and the adjuster. Write or have your lawyer write a letter, clearly setting forth the terrible terminology that the adjuster used in dealing with you. Make sure that your states anti-discrimiinatory regulatory agency gets a copy, and demand an apology from the carrier, with a request that the carrier conduct an investigation of the illegal discriminatory behavior by their employee.

Art

16. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Yes,

I think it's just as important to write the good stories.......

BTW- I paid for enclosed shipping

17. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    DAS subs out to the low cost carrier. They don't care if your car gets shipped correctly. I guess there are enough problem free shipments to keep them in business. They are not a reliable shipper. It all depends on who they sub to.

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    They say they own their fleet on the web site.

Where did you get your info?

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    For a positive story....I used Intercity to transport our Mondial and they did a heck of a great job. Got it to me the day before Xmas nice and clean. I found them here as a sponsor. Support the sponsors!!

Birdman

20. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #45 isellpower, Jun 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Huh? Did you try his cell # on his web site? Gary Almond has done my 98 Viper, 94 NSX and I called him on Monday about a 99 Viper I picked up in Edinburg TX, near Brownsville, and it will be picked up tomorrow and be in Omaha by Friday afternoon. Can't beat that. One enclosed trailer that holds one car. It's the only way to go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes, I called Gary on his cell. I told him who I was and an Fchater. He said he'd get back to me that night and didn't. I don't think it's representative of his character. I think everyone has nothing but nice things to say about him. I hope to use him in the future. He just has to call me back. I also called Intercity and they were very nice. They just told me it would be three weeks before they could pick it up. At the time that seemed too long because the seller told me he had a company that he used and was good. So I went with his recommendation. This was a Lexus dealer who ships regularly.