Avoid the Garage queens! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Avoid the Garage queens!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by parkerfe, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Hi Jerry
    This whole thread is a gooed opinion generating exercise. We are loading our Garage Queen now to head to Road Atlanta and the Walter Mitty. We will show the car, do a seminar and drive back and forth from the hotel to the track. Car gets out, I get out wife gets out, everbody wins!
    Take Care
    George P.
    P.S.
    Looks like we are DRIVING to CA for Pebble Beach and the Rolls Royce Owners Club. Doing seminars for Rolls and HOPE to see some of the area.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    LRPMAN, I somewhat understand why owners would not want to drive a valuable car such as some of those listed that they plan on hitting the concours circuit. But, there are a lot of folks out there who don't drive their production Ferraris like 308s, 328s, TRs and the like which will never appreciate much in any at all. It is those folks that need to get out and drive their cars IMHO!

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    George, great input. Going back to my 300 mile F-40 example. Why would someone pay a premium for such a car and then drive it? Having gotten this far as a princess, perhaps this hypo example should stay in the garage until she is crowned as a queen.

Dale

ps Will you PB trip be in August. There's already a few of us hardy souls who are thinking of driving out.

pps Isn't your area becoming a polo mecca?

4. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Yes we are leaving on the 8th of August and will get back the 23rd.
    Going to be a LONG drive. IF we take any car out it will be the Rolls in the trailer. Since we are taking about 6,500 lbs worth of product and such I do not think the TR or the Rolls could carry that.

Yes again BIG TIME POLO MECCA.
    We are going to put on an Exotic Car festival in October on the Steepelcahse field. (10/30/2004) Trying to line up clubs and judging. But, that is another thread.
    Take Care
    George P.

5. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Let me give you a TRUE FACT!
    1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona was worth about $1,500.00 when purchased in
    1978. The car had 11,000 miles from new. The owner parked the car and just cleaned ad drove it on VERY RARE occasions. He sold the car in 2002 with a garnd total of 18,000 miles on the car. He got $65,000.00 for the car from a collector in Canada. Moral of the story , what is down now may not always be down later. The TR will come back in value in a big way. So will some of the great exampels of the 308s and 328s. We are not taking 7 figure cars BUT who would have thought a 57 Chevy would bring in $250,000.00.

Take Care
    George P.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    George - Glad to see you will be making the PB trip - I really need to get off my butt and make arrangements to be there. I would love to meet you among many other F-Chatters.

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    George:

"He sold the car in 2002 with a garnd total of 18,000 miles on the car. He got $65,000.00 for the car from a collector in Canada. Moral of the story , what is down now may not always be down later."

It'll be interesting to see what one of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of garage queen 360s will be worth in 40 years. The aluminum construction means that virtually all of them should survive nicely till that time.

Since you know how the collector market works better than most of us, would you care to make a guess, George? Do you think they will be worth more or less than today's MSRP (adjusted for the 40 year inflation)?

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    911Fan - Good question, although they have made a lot of 360's, so it will be interesting to see how the price goes since there are more of them around. Maybe the Stradales will be the collector cars.

9. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Looking at Classic Motorsports article and others there is a very strong trend that a GREAT, HANDBUILT CAR or a GREAT LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR will cycle in about 25 years. Look a 25 year old NORMAL production car. It is more than likley a parts car or scrap. Find the SAME YEAR exotic and look at the price in REALTIONSHIP TO NEW. The average is either the OLD MSRP or 110% of that number. Look at ANY XKE new $5,300.00 now $53,000.00. in GARAGE QUEEN CONDITION.
    This is my guess and that is how we buy cars. WE bought 951 Porsche instead of a 944 because of the prediction that when the 1986 951 is 20 to 25 years old in 90 point condiditon it should sell for MORE than the MSRP of $16,250.00.

Take Care
    George P.
    p.s. Just walked in from the Walter Mitty will have pictures up Soon.

10. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    We will be at the Rolls Royce club meet in Montery for the week. After that who knows?
    George P.