"B" mania | FerrariChat

"B" mania

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ok, so I'm a 355 spider owner, and until February a Boxster owner. I sold the Boxster and bought a Cayman S. Great car. But, today was a beautiful day in southern New England, sunny and 74, and since the 355 is not yet out of storage we took the Cayman out. All I could think of is that it was a great car but the top doesn't go down. All that sunlight wasted on a steel roof instead of me. Even with the windows down, just no sense of the open air experience. And when we encountered traffic and had to drive slowly the loss of open air was even more intolerable.

Sometimes when I read FChat I start thinking I should have bought a "B" instead of a spider. Call it "B" envy. But after today I'm thinking I should have bought another Boxster or a 911 cab instead of the Cayman. Other than for those who want to track their cars I really can not understand why so many here prefer "B's. It's like putting a wild animal in a cage. The driving experience in a spider, any spider, even an MX5 Miata is just so much more exhilarating. I think the preference for "B"s is indicative of some kind of mental deficiency. How can so many be so wrong. Either that, or I'm the one who is mentally deficient, in which case I'm glad I am. :)

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
    Does whatever a spider can
    Spins a web, any size,
    Catches Bs just like flies
    Look Out!
    Here comes the Spider-Man!!!! :eek:

Lionworks Auto, tatry68 and baschul like this.
  2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Where in new england was it 75?? Not out ofthe 30's here.....

3. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    #3 Yassa, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    I think the GTB is more visually appealing to most, the lines just flow better then the spider. GTS is a good compromise but I'm a B guy myself. I test drove a 355 spider but it just wasn't my cup of tea. No right or wrong or mental deficiency, just differing views. As they say different strokes for different folks :).

4. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

For me, I prefer the looks of the Spider over the Berlinetta. Top up or down, I think the 355 Spider is one of the best looking Ferraris out there and top down, there's nothing like it.....beautiful!!

baschul, Lionworks Auto and Yassa like this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm SE of Hartford. Hit 74 at my home. Tomorrow's predicted high is 37. Nothing higher than mid 50's for the rest of the week. :(

6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Pfft, tell me about it! I wont be able to get out until June if I'm lucky:mad:

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It used to be a ragtop Ferrari was worth more than a coupe all day everyday. A lot more! Then there were the hardtop lovers who want the maximum performance of its day and hated the flexing creaking of all pre-aluminum chassis Ferrari topless cars and even the targa cars. Modern man does not want his hair to get messed up or have sweat when he arrives at his destination. The most important thing in a high performance streetcar today is comfort and airconditioning. Modern man only wants the "look." I'm sure Sterling Moss looks at the modern F1 car and asks what did they do to the man's sport of auto racing? Grid kids! Are you kidding me? Thankfully, we won't be seeing anything like a "halo" in MotoGP. Soy Latte anyone?

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Location location... in most of FL, manual top 'verts with inefficient a/c systems are as impracticable as horse and buggys.

mathewr and Robb like this.
  9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I agree John

As you I'm a gentleman sports car guy from the old school.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I really want to like all convertibles. I always dreamed of owning one.

The concept is fantastic with the noise, wind, and good weather. It’s as close as you can get to what it feels to ride a motorcycle with slightly more safety. I have driven several Ferrari spiders. We own a Mercedes slk convertible that barely ever gets driven top down.

The reality for me is problems with glare primarily. Seeing gauges becomes harder, sun in my face is not pleasant. Top down when it is hot and sun heats up seats makes the time you can enjoy somewhat limiting even in AZ.

Other primary reason to me is that I love the lines of the berlinetta. Makes the car look even more special. The Spider feels like it is missing some of the exotic flavor because of the buttresses and extra top vents. Just my 2c.

I’m not knocking the spider and would never kick it out of bed..... but the berlinetta’s lines steal the show for me.

Robb

taz355, Yassa, INTMD8 and 2 others like this.
  11. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations John. The Cayman is a very nice car. Enjoy.

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Berlinetta or bust. :)

I'd rather save the drop top for a luxury barge.

PaulK, Yassa, Wade and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Perfect for cruising the S. FL boulevards. ;)
    View attachment 2530816

Attached Files:

Jasonberkeley, SoCal1, tres55 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Robb pretty much summed up my feelings. I feel coupes look much better. As a GTS owner, I rarely remove the top. Mostly because I don't like it behind the seats and the days in Buffalo I can leave it in the garage are slim. Also, if I park the car, I get nervous with the top off as too many idiots in the world.

And, if I'm going out, I like A/C given our weather is like a light switch - it's either crap or hot - not too much time in between.

Oh - I'm also not a hat wearer. How many of you spider guys drive without one?

Robb likes this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Jasonberkeley, WATSON, SoCal1 and 4 others like this.
  17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  19. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    It is for sure a debatable point, the 355 does look REALLY good with a convertible top, up or down, which is very rare for a car primarily designed as a hard top. And also the unobstructed access to the exhaust note of the 355...well that does make a compelling argument for a spider. Despite all of that I am still a "B" guy, I just like the purity/simplicity of the line, and those buttresses are breathtakingly beautiful. A gts I suppose give "best of both worlds", but to my eye a targa top is a better fit on a 308/328. All opinions though, would love to go through a tunnel full beans in a capristo-ed spider some day, it must be mind shattering!!

Robb and Yassa like this.
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks Wade, I really like yours too. Looks super nice and great color combo.

Dave, it's 18ft 9in. Well, it's supposed to be. I think mine is an inch shorter as the original owners wife used the -park by feel- method. Crunch, we're in!

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    It's all about the buttresses. (Huh-huh.) I think for B owners (like me) it's as others have said – the flow of the berlinetta's roof line is exceptional and it's what probably caught all of us the first time we ever saw one. It's likely to be what kept drawing us back from spiders we were comping it to, wind-in-your-hair and exhaust harmonics tradeoffs be damned.

I would love to borrow a spider for a run through Big Sur, but I am most glad I've got a berlinetta in the gallery at home.

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    While it isn't mine... I'm tempted!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232727224090?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=232727224090

23. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
  24. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As a spider owner I can say that says much as some are attracted to the lines and buttresses of the B's, others feel the same about the spiders. To me the way the deck looks with the top down is fantastic. From the back it looks lower and wider than the hardtops and that really does it for me. When the leather top cover is fitted it really highlights the paint/interior color combo and if you get it right the beauty is remarkable. Just my opinion of course.

On the comment earlier, you can drive to the office top up and a/c blasting to maintain your hair and avoid the sweat. On the way home......well, you see where I'm going with this.

johnk... likes this.
  25. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Love these cars. My first car was a '77 hard top, basically looked just like this but light brown. One day I'll get another one but this time as a convertible.