355 - Ball Joint Failure on 6k Mile F355 | FerrariChat

355 Ball Joint Failure on 6k Mile F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Orangevespa, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    I’ve got a very low mileage/completely stock F355 that has a super scary failure on the way home from the Lime Rock Historics this past weekend. Great event but unfortunately turned gray and rainy on the way home.

Being that it was wet out we were not pushing it too hard in turns, coming off a gentle right handed I heard a small crack..a few seconds later, with the road straight, the left front suspension collapsed, with the lower control arm falling on the barrel of the wheel. Immediately I heard a grinding noise as the control arm began to mill down the inner rim barrel. I slowly came to a stop. After hopping out I now see that the bolt holding the lower ball joint (connects control arm and hub carrier) has snapped. I found the bolt about 100ft from where I came to a stop.

In my time I’ve never experienced or even seen such a failure. Esp not on a car with 6,500miles. Very thankful it happened at low speed/ on a straight. Not 10min earlier we were hauling thru sweepers

wondering if this is a known issue, was this part defective? Or was it over torqued and thus weakened? Car has zero corrosion and was classiche certified in 2019. Additionally it was recently in shop for engine major/ new tires so assuming anything present then would have been found. This occurred 300miles after getting car back.

Luckily, apart from the rim damage, nothing else was touched. I’m currently having all ball joints inspected/replaced to be safe. especially worried that the top ball joint was extra stressed when the bottom gave out.

sheeesh!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Glad no serious issues happened. Looks like rim damage though but as you stated could have been worse. Never heard of that out here at least, certainly not a know issue. This is why I replace everything that is a consumable part and ball joints and tie rod ends are consumable.

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Very scary. Please post some closeup pics of the bolt where it broke, esp the mating surfaces. Can sometimes give clues about nature of failure.

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Sorry this happened to you and glad everything is ok and no one got hurt.

I can now envision a new series of threads on the topic "How Often To Change Ball Joints - 3 or 5 years".

Jakuzzi and ShineKen like this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Sorry to hear, I’m changing my ball joints now - they are in super tight!

I just saw this the other day: same thing that happened to you both on the track…

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some people stretch it to 10 years but 7 is probably ok. :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Glad you're safe OP. Always a risk for any of us driving 20+ year old cars on the road. As for replacing ball joint every 3, 5 or even 10 yrs is new to me. I had a 911 track car with over 20yr old suspension and never even thought about preventative ball joint replacement. They should usually give some ominous noise ... like wheel bearings or your race tires taken beyond adhesion.. you'll typically know before they let go!

9. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I know on 360s it’s good to treat ball joints as consumables, idk if the same goes for 355. 6,500 miles or not at the end of the day the youngest 355 is 23-24 years old (as we are coming to the end of 2021) No wear item is immune to age.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I know it probably won’t make the OP feel any better but it seems like this was a fluke occurrence. Judging from one photo it looks like shear stress, but the other where the two pieces are being held together it looks like it broke off jagged so I’m at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    WATSON likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Never seen it ...

13. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Odd failure location. My money is on over torqued, defective part or maybe a little of both. I wouldn't expect that age or mileage would show at that location.

14. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    probably a combination of a bit of corrosion as well as overtorque at some time. Not something that would be common. I was surprised, having recently rebuilt the rear suspension on my 348 that most hardware was assembled "dry". I always like to apply some kind of anti corrosive/lubricant when assembling close tolerance components

15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Or maybe an unreported mishap during transport? Though if the case alignment would be off and noticeable during drive. Not even the cheapest Kia would have a suspension just snap. I'm not aware of a recall on this area of the 355s as well.

16. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    Thanks all for the responses. Currently waiting on new upper and lower ball joints for arrive. Feel lucky this was all that happened.

looking at the bolt that snapped it..it’s got a raised “seam” in the middle not sure if that’s indicative of a manufacturing defect or improper torque on the bolt.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Going back on all will be properly torques to 49nm per the service manual.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    on a separate thought..anyone got a line on a replacement oem front rim? eBay/forum classifieds my best bet? Or are there any parts suppliers that carry them?

17. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I assume the ball joint itself is not frozen.

18. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    It was in there “dry” do they usually get some grease? Or lubricant?

19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I mean the joint itself, does it move around? The part in the rubber boot.

Personally, I think under torqueing the nut may have allowed the ball joint to loosen and that would have put all the pressure on the threaded part. A properly seated ball joint can be a ***** to remove.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ball joints go in dry, it's a close tolerance friction fit. The ball and socket in the knuckle is what turns. When you remove them they are TIGHT and when they pop it goes off like a gun. Fairly violent activity.

21. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bit confused as to how this could possibly happen.

If the car has only done 6k miles I would imagine it's still on it's factory assembled OEM ball joints???? Or has some work been done on the car that required disassembly of the balljoint and re-tightening?? Again if it only has 6k miles what work could possibly need doing....very strange??!!!

On a 348 the balljoints ae pinned with a castle nut - did they stop doing that on 355s?? That's the only thing that makes we wonder whether it is an OEM balljoint???

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    To my lay-man's eyes, that looks like over torquing. The center of the bolt looks stretched. But I am not a metallurgist or automotive engineer, it just looks similar to a water pump bolt that I snapped by over torquing on a Jeep I once had.

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The nut should move freely up and down the threaded part now, is that the case? if its frozen onto the thread there is your problem, over torqued thus stretching the threads of the shaft inside the nut.

I would agree with the under torque theory though, which allowed the thread to move down the taper and then shear off.

24. Orangevespa

Orangevespa Rookie

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    NAA
    No recent work on suspension, looks like oem part.

Yup, the joint in rubber boot moves freely. It’s a little stiff but moves smooth with light force.

the nut came off the broken shaft as well. It’s not castled but neither does the replacement part seem to be

25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #25 PAUL500, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    If you were able to get that nut off the snapped part of the threaded shaft easily enough, then I doubt the shaft broke away from the ball of the joint as a result of over torque, so this would point in the direction that over time the nut has gently eased itself loose of the original torque, allowing the threaded shaft some free play in the suspension knuckle which eventually caused fracture and breakage of the shaft.

I must say though that it does look waisted under the nut to such an extent its far narrower than the thread, but that stretch may have been just before failure as it moved around in the knuckle.