"barn find" '65 330gt black plate | FerrariChat

"barn find" '65 330gt black plate

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by michael bayer, Dec 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    For the very stout of heart Bringatrailer has a 2HL 330 project car listed, M

2. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    Stored 27 years, seeing some sunlight now.

over at BringATrailer:

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/12/21/stored-27-years-black-plate-1965-ferrari-330gt/

A little tatty, but you could conceivably clean it up and drive it [more or less] as is, at least the "patina is golden" crowd.

Of course, one man's patina is another one's corrosion, so I personally think at least a little refurbishment is called for. But a nice base to start from. Curious to see how high it goes. I remember seeing one of these for sale in front of a local gas station when I was in high school (early '80's) for $12,000

Happy Holidays all....

3. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    This one looks like it has some serious potential..

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  5. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    great, i like this model, it s a real gift for Christmas

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Does it look like the driver's door was repainted to anyone else, or is it just me?

Mike in Kuwait

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mike,

Very possible. The doors are steel like the rest of the body, only hood and trunk lid are aluminum, so the paint difference isn't due to differences in metal.

Regards,

Art S.

8. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    It will be interesting to see how high it ends up. The 'barn find' always seems to drive the prices higher than expected, perhaps it is the excitement of finding a 'lost' car. Unfortunately my business partner is away because I would like to put a bid in on it, we have a cast in stone agreement that we wont buy anything without consulting with the other. Oh well.

9. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    $68k with 19hrs left and the no reserve gone...

get your bids in

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Where is he, in the jungle with no satellite phone?

Cars are only original once, that is why they go for more than expected. Once they are restored, they have lost that originality that can never be replaced. You can always restore a car again.

11. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Ashman,

OH man, thanks for me making me feel worse *lol* Yes the originality factor of this one is what makes it most exciting. Almost makes you want to buy it just so no one else can 'wreck' it. And yes he is on an adventure tour and can't be reached....I already tried.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For a very presentable driver, paint, interior, and engine compartment would clean up OK, Borranis desparately need rebuilding; w/new tires, $1K each.

What lurks beneath is the problem, especially after 27 yrs in storage. I'd expect to have to replace engine seals, hoses, radiator, rebuild brakes...on and on.

EASY $100K investment for purchase, acquistion costs, and minimum upfront repairs and reconditioning.

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree that the recommissioning would probably need all of that. Every bit of rubber that touches fluid, all hydraulics, cooling system, debug electrics, it wouldn't be cheap to get it to the point where you could gas it up and go for a lengthy drive in safety and peace of mind.

But, oh, what you would have when you are done! Patina personified! Definitely stand out at the local Ferrari shows or Caffeine and Carburetors meets!

14. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Still at $68K with 30 minutes left...

Mike in Kuwait

15. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Sold at $68,100 with 74 bids...last bid was at 47 seconds...

Interesting.

Not knowing ANYTHING about vintage Ferraris...was that a 'good' price for the buyer, a 'good' price for the seller, or just a 'good' fair price?

Mike in Kuwait

16. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Seems to be that it was a very good price for the seller!!!

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Agreed. I would say a very high price.

It's not that original. As Mike pointed out, the door was painted differently from the rest of the car.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mike,

It was definately sold well. However, if it was not bought as an investment, but rather a labor of love, it might not be a bad buy. If you want to do a restoration, starting with a straight, complete, apparently rust free original car is the way to go.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Speaking from experience, if I did it again, I'd try to find a nicer car.

19. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    No doubt sound advice... it was a little 'rough around the edges'...

I wonder if any one we know bought it...

Mike in Kuwait

20. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Wow $68,100....seems like the seller did ok. Hopefully the new owner has an idea of what they are in for. In any event it went for $18,100 more than I would have bid, heck I paid $1800 more than that for my 365 gt 2+2 and it is a pretty well sorted out car. I guess originality has its price, although I agree that the door mismatch is a mystery. Besides, I don't know about the rest of you but I would never buy a car without seeing it up close. Made that mistake once with a '73 Jaguar XJ12L (shudder)

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #21 jsa330, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    In late '02, I paid $32.5K for my 1964 Series I 4HL (#5409). It was in infinitely better condition than this car and I still spent the purchase price again for acquisition costs, repairs and reconditioning, lots of work done by pros, two hundred + hours by me.

By the time of its unfortunate demise in a May '07 accident, I was nudging $75K in it all told...and it was a nicely-patinaed standout, won a vintage-recognition type award at a local FCA show in '05

Regarding this car, you do have to factor in a 2-headlight premium...say 15%.

Still, based on cost of what it probably needs, I would have paid $45K top end.

22. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Yes $45K was in fact my top end as well. A well sorted driver example of this car would sell for around $85K.......concours maybe $125K.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    The door was definitely repainted with some bad quality material.

That said, the car may make a wonderful project for someone who wants to do it for himself. It may even turn out to be a real good buy, but who can say without inspecting the car? It's all in the details.
    There are some obvious things like the wheels and brightwork to be addressed, but otherwise it looks like a nice straight car. If it is indeed rust-free, it'd be an enormous plus.

Now, with the same coolant sitting in there for 27 years, how much corrosion damage is there to the engine?

The, a complete brake re-build, fuel system re-build, all rubber hoses, probably a myriad of seals.

Looks like a great project to me.

24. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    She won't be broken for that money. So she will run again. Hopefully the new owner will check in.

I think she may buff right up.