Battery issue or something else | FerrariChat

Battery issue or something else

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GeorgieM, Aug 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Finally got the old Mondial 3.2 cab running after almost a year of top end rebuild etc and engine out. Started the car yesterday and it sounds like a completely different machine. However, I have to hook up a battery charger on 50 amp mode to get it to start event though the battery is new. My new battery is rated at 550 CCA but doesnt seem to want to engage the starter at all unless there is a booster or charger connected. Do I need a battery with more CCA or is this something else? I've checked alot of connections and they seem fine. Any ideas? Just wanna get the poor girl on the road before summer is over.

2. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    Does that car has a battery cut-off switch? Contact might be partially burned or not all the way on. Also you.might want to try the battery directly onto the starter to.diagnose if there is a partially broken cable or connection along the way.

3. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    it does have a cut off switch. Interesting thought. I will check that out.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Grab bag of ideas...

Bad new battery? It happens, the failure rate is higher than most would expect. Try a known good battery to rule this out.

The large connector in the engine bay that is disconnected for the engine out needs to be cleaned, maybe some corrosion inside?

Is the starter old, maybe the solenoid is on the margin of failing?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Connect up a voltmeter using long wires to the positive on the starter solenoid, see what volts you have. Now engage starter and see the volts.
    Next connect the volt meter up to the power cable on the starter- you are looking for a volt drop

6. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    definitely getting a voltage drop. Tested battery today and got 574 CCA. to low? Considering buying an Optima 34R redtop tomorrow. Never bought one before.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If you are getting a voltage drop, then it's not the battery at fault. There is some faulty high resistance connection between the battery and the starter. You should be able to use your voltmeter to trace down the fault.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the starter is going in and he is getting a voltage drop it can be the battery, if the battery is on its way out a big demand will try and pull the volts down. On a good battery it will deliver to the load with a small drop but a old battery will not maintain the volts. Put the headlights on and see if they go out when the starter engages.

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    To me, a "voltage drop" means that the voltage at the starter is substantially less than the voltage at the battery, whilst the starter is being engaged. This would not indicate a faulty battery.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The voltage at the starter terminal is the voltage the battery is putting out under load. You cannot have 2 voltage reading on a common line. It might be a 12 volt battery but its volts drop under load if it is not in a good condition

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can have different voltage readings on the same line if there's resistance from bad wiring, or a bad connection between the battery and the starter.