battery life question | FerrariChat

battery life question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HoodyHoo, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HoodyHoo

HoodyHoo Rookie

Jul 5, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Nathan Thompson
    How long do you guys let your 458 sit without being tethered to the trickle charger? I've noticed if I let mine sit for a week it doesn't start first try of the button and sounds weak on the turnover. Also when it does start second press it's showing electrical system failure see dealer until the next time it gets cycled off/on. I feel like the car should be fine to sit for a week easily, do I have a bad battery?

2. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I have the same issue. I would love to hear comments on battery life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Is there a reason you're unwilling to plug it in? Tons of posts about finicky Ferrari 458 battery issues on here - it only makes sense to take the extra 30 seconds to plug it in if your car is going to sit for a while.

4. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    I always plug mine in as I drive it once a week. Having said that I feel a car in this price range should have a battery and electrical system that lasts longer than a week...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. moldynotepad

moldynotepad Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #5 moldynotepad, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, so the day after my car was delivered, it would not start. I freaked out and called my sales rep, John Levy of Ferrari FL. He told me that these cars need to be plugged in with the Battery Maintainer if not driven in a week--which makes sense because it took around 7 days to be delivered to Los Angeles from Florida. He was doubtful the OEM maintainer would bring the battery back to life; he recommended I buy a battery charger anywhere and just hook it up to the battery directly. But I just left the maintainer plugged in for ~48 hours and now all is good.

I bought a CTeK Maintainer to replace my Ferrari Maintainer since it scrapes against the cement as a I move it around. The CTeK Maintainer is pretty cool, shows the 8 stages and stuff.

Now I just keep it plugged in 24/7. I didn't know I essentially bought a Plug-in Hybrid when I bought 458. Har har.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I plug mine in after I drive it. That's because I know I might forget to plug it in if I leave it sitting there. So far in 4+ years no battery problems. The included tender is from CTek also but the 4.3 is a good unit. I prefer the 7002 as I think it features a little more robust circuitry to resist brownouts and also a more robust battery conditioning program- but Im not certain on that last one. One other thing to note- if your 458 has HELE- the odds are it uses an AGM battery. If your car has an AGM battery, you want to use the snowflake charging mode on CTek.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. Way too easy to forget, so I just plug it in after every run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I am going to do that with mine for now on. Just plugged it in and it was on#2 but quickly went to 3. Going to plug in every night..thanks guys. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #9 spiders, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    I can leave the AGM battery on my 458 off the charger for up to 2 weeks without a low voltage issue. I don't set the alarm or lock the car because it sits in my locked garage. Longer than 2 weeks and I connect my charger.

I don't use the Ferrari charger anymore, but rather a Bosch charger with an AGM setting. I don't take a chance by leaving the battery on the charger for extended periods of time. When the battery is fully charged, I shut off the charger.

Replace the battery in these cars every 2 years. The cars are ridiculously dependent on the battery and systems failure is common when an otherwise good battery becomes marginal for the demands of the computers.

10. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    Do you habe to get the battery from Ferrari?

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +2

12. gernothofer@gmx.at

Jul 24, 2017
    Are there already any aftermarket solutions (for example Byte CTEK) for the original 488 charging device? My original one just broke...

13. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If charging is a worry or not convenient, you could always consider installing a Battery Sense monitor from Ctek

http://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense

This way you can check your battery on your mobile phone to give you peace of mind about when to hook it up to the charger etc..

Regards

Michael

14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I keep my 458 plugged in all the time. I also did this on my 430. The cars are so sensitive to voltage that it makes sense to keep them plugged in. As others have said, it takes no time to plug it in. Also, I am of the onion the batteries should be replaced every 3-4 years.

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

mines on a ctek charger all the time when not driving her

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    On a brand new battery expect 3 weeks MAX for it to restart after sitting.

IMO -- ridiculous but that's the way it is.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #18 Melvok, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Any charger will do ... it's just a carbattery, not the holy grail.

Cut off the connector from the broken one and fix it on the "new" one (the white connector).

A simple 5 Aps digital charger will not cost you over $30 imo ...

And yes, I keep my car always on this charger ... :D Never ever encouter any starting issues !

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Keep mine plugged in almost all the time. And use a surge protector as an abundance of caution.

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I always kept my 458 on the charger not knowing exactly when I was going to drive it again. I'm planning on doing the same for my ordered 488.

21. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I always plug it in when I get it home. It is a habit. I have never had an issue.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    NO !

Any good 74 Amps battery of right formar and poles in right place will do for around $ 100 or so.

23. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Has anyone had any issue with the battery going flat overnight with a hardwired dashcam?

I plan on installing the dashcam with a Power Management system that will turn the camera off once it detects the battery is below a certain voltage, but I am worried that since Ferrari batteries seem to drain so quickly, I will end up with a dead battery from just 1-2 nights of sitting.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Should be possible imo ... try it :)

25. FerrariPaula

FerrariPaula Karting

Nov 26, 2016
    Redmond, WA USA
    I drive my 458 on average twice a week (rarely more than 5-6 days pass between starts), never plug in trickle charger, never failed to start the first time. But now I'm curious and will check how old my battery is (I've owned the car about 10 months now).