BBi 512 air conditioning | FerrariChat

BBi 512 air conditioning

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Capt. Rich, Jan 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I know there is a fuse for the AC in the glove box. Does anyone know if there is a relay for the compressor or clutch and coil. I hot wire the clutch and coil and I get a distinct click that it is engaging. When I turn on the AC there is nothing. The compressor is a York style Valeo.

2. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek

After the A/C switch, 12 VDC goes through two A/C pressure switches (min) and (max), then right to the clutch coil. Between the A/C switch and the first pressure switch, it does make a contact at the A/C fan relay, but not thru that relay, and continues on to the pressure switches. In other words if that relay was missing, power would still continue on to the pressure switches.

Sorry for the convoluted text, I suggest you spend the ~$30 Paul is charging these days for the beautiful wiring diagrams he made. http://www.paul-bennett.com/Ferrari/ The entire file is worth printing out as a large poster for the garage, really nice.

The brown wire on the left relay below comes from the A/C switch, the orange one goes on to the pressure switches. Check the underside of the relay board, maybe a wire corroded there? There are several other potentially bad connections like that one, ignition switch, fan switch, fuse that you already mentioned, etc. Good luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Capt. Rich

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Thanks supernaut. The fan in the trunk on the passenger side does energize when the AC is turned on. I will check my wiring diagram some more.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but is there enough refrigerant in the system to let the pressure switch engage the clutch?

5. Capt. Rich

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    There is enough refrigerant. It is filled with Dura-Cool. It held pressure for over 36 hours. You are correct for thinking pressure switch. Others have told me this could be the problem. I don't know if I can do this but I am going to see if I can hotwire the AC control itself and possibly eliminate this as the problem. I have a bow thruster control on my boat that the control itself became inoperable, nothing else.