430 - BBS FI-R's on F430's... | FerrariChat

430 BBS FI-R's on F430's...

Discussion in '360/430' started by TommyTheV, Oct 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you get 19's or 20's?...Or 19' front & 20' rear?

1. 19's

50.0%
  2. 20's

20.0%
  3. 19 Front & 20 Rear

30.0%
  1. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Hi guys,

Thinking of getting these but they run about $10K without tires. Have seen pics and videos of F430's with FI or just CI-R but never FI-Rs.

Does anyone have them that may want to share? :)

Imagine how sexy these would be with CCBs...

In your experience, what is the best offset on F430 without spacers?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    TommyTheV likes this.
  3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    https://www.signaturewheel.com/

I had them on my GT350R, they make that design too... They are fully forged and half the price of BBS, maybe less.
    I can show you pics of sig wheels on my shelby, they are gorgeous wheels...

TommyTheV likes this.
  4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I love the style...
    ... But the rear offset is wrong, many report rubbing.
    And I always felt the 430 needs a 19/20 staggered setup, which was not offered with the BBS

I chose to have a custom 19/20 setup made from bcforged with the same design and couldn't be more pleased. Plus it's a 3rd of the price
    7-8lbs lighter then stock per wheel, and they all balance with 1 oz or less opposite the valvestem which I thought was impressive

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Thanks for the share, definitely 1/2 the price but the design is almost identical to the BBS CI-R's (below) which is around $800 each so it'll actually come out to being a little cheaper than the signatures. The main difference between FI-R's than the rest is it is lighter and it has that noticeable hollowed-out spoke which gives it that aggressive look for almost 4x the price :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Thanks for your input, Ken. I am definitely leaning more toward that 19/20 setup too. With BBS since they are individually ordered I don't think there should be difficulty ordering them the way you want it for that staggered setup right?

***Moderator, I am not sure if I can put a link to another forum so please kindly remove it if not acceptable*** :)

Looks like these BBS FI-Rs are staggered here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324572

7. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Vegas CS and TommyTheV like this.
  8. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    All too sexy :p

9. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Man, that’s beautiful. I feel like the 19/20 setup is the sweet spot.

btw, is there an official wheel thread here where everyone just posts the wheels they installed? If not, I feel like that’s due.

10. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have the BBS FI's in my F430. It took me a while to find them, as they are no longer produced, but well worth the search! I did gently shave my rear fenders since I am running a 315/30 (BBS recommends 295/35). 19's are my preference since they have more of a 'motorsports' feel with a slightly larger sidewall in the rear. With this setup I am within a 5% difference from OEM (no e-diff issues) and very light weight. Couldn't be happier. Please excuse my clearbra peeling around the wheel well:

Attached Files:

11. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    You make those 19s look really good. What work would you need to get done if they aren't F430 made? I've been cross-referencing the sizing chart as long as the offset and all that is right it should fit no?

12. sdplanner

sdplanner Rookie

May 11, 2010
    San Diego, California
    Full Name:
    Brian M
    Vegas CS, TommyTheV and lowform like this.
  13. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I’m shocked at all the people saying 19’s when the 430 looks so good with aftermarket 20 inch wheels. 19’s just look too small

Ahmed_Z likes this.
  14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It's all personal preference... As well as I'm sure if you just spent $10,000 instead of 19 BBs wheels, you're probably going to say they look good no matter what lol.

Like I said before, the BBS wheels with either 295 or 305 tires require you to cut your fender. I had absolutely no desire to cut my Ferrari apart to fit Wheels.

When you look at the 430, it's shape dictates a small wheel up front and a larger wheel in the back.
    Not to mention virtually every single other car in this category run a staggered set up.... every mclaren, Lamborghin, R8, Corvette viper as well as modern Ferraris after the 430.
    My setup with 19/20 is exactly the factory ratio, so there's no fear of an E-diff fail.

Just take a look at them, decide which one you like better, and buy it

15. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Brian,

I saw your car at the Ranch Santa Fe cars and coffee earlier this year. I chatting with you and your son for a few mins when you arrived. Your car sealed the deal for me on the BBS FIs. It took me about 6 months to track a pair down, but absolutely love them (my car and photos are above).

-Aaron

16. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    I think BBS FI's look cheap. I know they're not, but they just look cheap and I don't really like the look of them on the F430. I've been contemplating a lot, but went for original Scud wheels in the end.

17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I think they look Fantastic!....They are not only for looks.
    My 20" x 11.75" FI-R rims weight just over 19.2 lbs. This is one of the highest if not the highest rims available. The FIs weights in at 22.4 lbs. 20" x 11.50"
    My F430 weights in at 3100 lbs. on an empty tank.

18. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    I am getting a lot of mixed information on the BBS FI's so far

"19 all around and you won't have rubs and no e-diff issues"...
    "My setup with 19/20 is exactly the factory ratio, so there's no fear of an E-diff fail"...
    "If you can't find F430 BBS, get customized spacers and any FI's should fit just fine"...

So...the verdict? Lol

19. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    TommyTheV likes this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    BBS makes 19" FIs for the F430 but consensus has it that the offset is too aggressive and you will encounter rubbing if you lower your car aggressively.

BBS does not make 20" FIs for the F430 but they do for the 458s. The bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 compared to the F430's 5 x 108.
    The person who said they're running 20's in the rear is using adapters for them to fit. The offset on the 20's are way less aggressive than that of the 19's. To make the 20" rims to work you have to use adapter that adapts to the bolt pattern and run minimum of 20mm in the rear to clear CCB brakes.

The offset on the 20" FI are ET 56 rear & 44 front. FI-R's are ET 35 rear & 40 front

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Correction on this:
    My 20" x 11.50" FI-R rims weight just over 18.9 lbs & the FIs weights in at 22.4 lbs. 20" x 10.75"

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My OEMs wheels weighed in at 27.6F/30.2R and my new 19/20 BCforged came in at 20.4F/23.6R for reference

23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI the E-Diff, ABS, and ESP calibration models incorporate rolling diameter as a constant. Changing tyre and wheel size will affect the system operating window which you may or may not notice during normal use. The Scuderia has specific programming for the 235 front tyres.

I believe that ScudIng Swiss undertook diagnosis on the E-Diff and found that it was locking significantly more when the front to rear rolling diameter was different to stock i.e. aftermarket wheels in a larger size. This equates to a shorter diff lifespan and at the minimum should dictate more frequent gearbox oil changes.

Personally I'd stick with 19s and OEM tyre sizes.

24. ForzaFerrari81

Aug 26, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Chris
    one of my absolute favorite wheel designs. HRE makes something similar I think but price is not gonna be wallet friendly

TommyTheV likes this.
  25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #25 Flea7, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    Yes, this is important Scud or not....also, I would take scudding swiss findings with a grain of salt.

I'm +.21 inch difference in the rear and +.15 up front. No issues. This is as close to stock in diameter. Also, give or take tire wear & inflation...

mwstewart likes this.