Becoming a tech? | FerrariChat

Becoming a tech?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by Snyder317, Feb 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snyder317

Snyder317 Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick Snyder
    So I have been in the automotive field for the past 5-6 years and I’m looking to broaden my horizons and start working on the cars I dream to be building in my garage one day and I’m wondering, where should I get my start? I feel like a school won’t teach me all the little things I need to learn as compared to working from the ground up in a shop. If anyone could help me out with some leads on where I should start that would be greatly appreciated.

2. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Maybe hit the Tech Q&A section? There are some pro mechanics there. I recommend listening a lot b/c there are some really smart people there. I'm not one of them. :)

Snyder317 likes this.
  3. KS_California

KS_California Karting

Jan 24, 2022
    Eastern KS - Just west of KC
    Full Name:
    Werner Bartels

4. KS_California

KS_California Karting

Jan 24, 2022
    Eastern KS - Just west of KC
    Full Name:
    Werner Bartels
    I recommend trying to get a job at a local reputable exotic car shop. Be honest, with the owner, that you intend to open your own shop some day. Assure him/her that you will not open a shop in their market. Hopefully owner will be happy to have a quality technician for-a-few-years while you learn this trade. Good luck.

Snyder317 likes this.
  5. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Patrick drop me a DM with your contact info and i'll intro you to Vince Hill who owns the best Ferrari shop in the midwest.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Agree with talking with Vince. He will steer you right. He will probably tell you to do the 4 years automotive Bachelors degree at Pittsburg State University.

Performify likes this.