Beechcraft Starship | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Beechcraft Starship

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Nov 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #26 toggie, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've often wondered if they used the Starship as a chase plane for White Knight in part because nothing else could go slow enough at 41,000. The indicated airspeed for White Knight up there was very low, as I recall.

Or maybe it was just because it looked cool in pictures...

3. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

Wow, just sad.... the disposition listed on so many of them.

"Decommissioned, dismantled & destroyed"

Must have been it at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, OR (a very worthy museum, BTW, as you all likely know the Spruce Goose now resides there, along w/a fine example of a Ford Tri-Motor + lots more!). Starship sitting outside.
    Thanks.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Actually, this makes sense. If there are operational aircraft then the manufacturer is mandated by the FAA to maintain airworthiness support. There is also legal liability as a concern for any manufacturer.

Jeff

5. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    There used to be several at Avra Valley or MaranaAirpark AZ ,I can't recall which.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

is probably the SpaceShip One chase plane. It's based in Aspen.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starships%20NC-51%20to%20NC-53.htm#NC-51

A Starship flies over my office 3-4 times a WEEK! Based at Rocky Mountain Airport, Broomfield, CO - Stevens Aviation.

Very distinctive sound, can't miss it.

IMO, the FAA killed the Starship. No reason for all that weight.

7. rajn72

rajn72 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    The starships can fly RVSM - especially if the STC is installed. We routinely fly one RVSM. Grest speed, quiet, and good fuel burn at 36.0.

Probably the best twin with comfort I have ever flown.

8. th535is

th535is Rookie

Nov 17, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    #33 th535is, Mar 25, 2012
    There is one sitting on the side of the road behind a fence in the outdoor exhibit of the Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham, AL. It along with a couple of other rare aircraft are just sitting outside decaying in the elements sadly.

There is also a Lockheed A-12 (predecessor to SR-71) sitting out there as well. I unfortunately don't have a good picture of it though. (Actually I just found one on their website.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Back In the 90's when I was flying out of North Las Vegas, I use to frequently see two of them parked together on he paddock. I always loved the Starship. When they were there, it was like an event. The whole airport was a buzz. I remember walking from the flight school I was taking lessons from all the way over to the other side of the airport just to look at them...and we were not the only ones who were just gathered around looking at them.

Mark

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It was because they are both Rutan designed...

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #36 tritone, Mar 25, 2012
  12. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    ^^This^^. If the plane had been built on the structure that Burt and Scaled designed, it would have met the weight, drag, and performance goals(pretty close). The FAA required many, many different re-works of basic structure like the spar carry through.

The Beech Starship has the enviable record of ZERO accidents or incidents in the NTSB database. Not that the King air isn't a good plane, but the Starship was the right design, but the FAA screwed it all up. The Piaggio is proof of the concept.

13. rajn72

rajn72 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    #38 rajn72, Apr 2, 2012
    NürScud likes this.
  14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Zero accidents because there are like 5 of them. Probably less.

Beech screwed the pooch designing the Starship. They should've spent that time and money building a SE Turboprop. Instead, they let Socata and Pilatus take that spot and sell thousands of airplanes and are essentially putting Beech out of business.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You must know the description of an elephant. A MOUSE BUILT TO FAA SPECIFICATIONS.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Or that of a camel. A HORSE DESIGNED BY A COMMITTEE.

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have a book that claims the FAA screwed up the Starship design because one or more of the regulators was scared to death by the old BOAC Comet inflight structural breakups and just kept insisting on structural changes that added more and more weight.

In other words - it was not just the lightning strike issue - FAA talked themselves into fear of the composite structure itself.

18. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Just mentioning that i have sighted a starship twice over the last weeks, both times at low altitude, southbound and my guess on final approach into Westchester airport (i live not far away).

A very particular high pitched engine sound and they look great (imho). Its probably the same aircraft.

19. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    You sure it wasn't an Avanti Piaggio? Similar design. Same sound. I live near Long Beach airport in CA, and see them on a regular basis.

I believe I saw a few Starships in Pinal Airpark a few months ago. (not flying)

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1993 I saw a Starship in Sandpoint Idaho that flew in with an obvious well healed group that met another well healed couple in an Albatross and then a Mallard came in with some of the same. That's the only Starship that I have ever seen. Quite an airplane and noisy.

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Last month I was flying SFO to ATL and heard a Starship call sign, didn't see the plane though so no really sure it was an actuall Starship or not.

22. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    One of the coolest aircraft ever. I've seen one frequenting KSNA lately. Apparently a few owners told Beech to pound sand when they asked for them back.

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I see a Starship pretty regularly; there's one based at Rocky Mountain Airport.
    Actually heard it fly over yesterday evening but didn't get outside in time to spot it.

There's often an Avanti Piaggio at Centenial also, but I have never seen it fly.

Wonder if they are noisy inside? Anyone know?

Read somewhere that the sound is from the props 'chopping' the engines' sound sine wave.

Maybe that's why the B-36 was so unbelievably loud. They used to land over our house int ABQ when I was a kid. Pictures fell off walls, etc.

24. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Pretty sure not, pretty low altitude as they swing over my place.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#50 Tcar, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Starship just now flew over heading about 350, about a minute ago.

Headed for Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport, Broomfield, CO (KBJC).