Belts For The 5th Time | FerrariChat

Belts For The 5th Time

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    New belts and Hill tensioners arrived in the mail today from Ricambi so tomorrow I begin the belt change on my '87 328 for the fifth time. I have decided to change the tensioners this time as well because I last changed them in 1995, four belts ago. The vehicle gets driven about 800 miles a year. This past summer my water pump bearings froze up so I had the pump rebuilt. It is fine now but while I had the pump off I discovered that one of the bearings in the water pump belt tensioner had a slight unevenness to it when turned by hand. They were the original bearings (30 years old) so I replaced them as well. Every time I changed the timing belt tensioners I inspected and listened to the tensioner bearings using a probe attached to a stethoscope. They always sounded identical and normal so I never changed them. But now I feel it is time.

Pero and Ericspider like this.
  2. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Here is what the rear tensioner looks like after 22 years and about 16000 miles and 4 timing belts. The dual bearings seem fine but there is a small amount of rubber buildup on the periphery of the tensioner. There is no leakage of grease from the bearings and both turn perfectly smoothly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Who made the bearing, and where was it made ?

How was the condition of the belt when you took it off ?

4. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The old belt looks fine. If you want, I'll photograph it and post it. Belt only had about 4-5K miles on it. Belts were last changed in January 2013. Tensioners were 22 years old. The bearings were changed at Krause and England when I had the car serviced there and a main seal/clutch replaced. That's the only time any maintenance other than my own has been done to it except for a suspension recall back in the late 80's done at a Ferrari dealership in North Carolina.

New bearings are Hills and were manufactured in Japan. Old bearings installed in 1995 are SKF and were manufactured in Italy.

MS250 likes this.