bentley vs hellcat? | FerrariChat

bentley vs hellcat?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 95spiderman, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Traction. Gearing. Back seats are basically useless in the back of a Bentley CGT for anyone but small children. I'd imagine Hellcat is much more sedan like.

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe awd is bentley advantage but they use a slushbox trans same as hellcat so cant imagine their launch control being superior

4. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    The AWD w launch control should make this car a 4500 pound missile from a standing start.

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    except Bentleys are about 5500 lbs

6. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    Difficult to argue against the Hellcat's superior "Power to Weight Ratio".

Plus Bentley stated "Fastest" NOT "Quickest"...so the initial launch of either vehicle becomes irrelevant & a mute point.

7. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't know, but I'll trade my Hellcat for that Bentley.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Can't even compare the 2. The bently is jewel where as the hellcat is a walrus.

9. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    A proper analogy in keeping with your usage of "jewel" would be...

The Bently is a jewel where as the hellcat is a lump of coal.

or

The Bently is a Swan where as the hellcat is a walrus.

10. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Bentley is a pimp, the Hellcat is a cowboy.

11. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #11 threepedal, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Extremely conservative redline ( 6,200 rpms) of the Bentley.

Would seem there is A LOT MORE that engine is capable of!!!

Considering the extra horsepower parasitic lose because of the AWD system, wonder how much FASTER a rear wheel drive version would be?!

The rear spoiler looks as though it was purchased at PeP Boys!!!

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mixed metaphor

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Engines don't just work like that with red lines, it's 4 WD for a reason, the rear spoiler is absolutely gross.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That spoiler is optional, you can have the pop up as standard.

15. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #15 threepedal, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    A red line establishes within a certain number of rpms when an engine no longer produces any more horsepower & to prevent engine damage.

Don't understand your comment

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You can't just up the redline on an engine. The Bentley engine is turbocharged. These engines tend to rev much lower and produce more torque than N/A engines. They are good for midrange, which is part of the Bentley design to not feel sluggish while carrying all of that weight. So for your comment to make any sense it would require a complete engine redesign that maybe would't make any more power. If the HP was the same (700) and the engine was N/A and it rev'd to let's say 9000, the car would behave completely differently as the torque figure would be much lower.

Not to even mention that the components of the engine are specifically designed to live within certain tolerances. One of which is the power output which corresponds to the redline. I'm surprised I even have to explain this it's common sense.

17. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Maybe, maybe not but the Bentley is a troublesome car to own. The Bentley is a more prestigious car to own so you may get a better parking space with the valet at your favorite restaurant.

I will take the Hellcat thank you very much :)

Lee

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fwiw, my Bentley was bullet proof. No issues. I've always heard of lots of issues with the supercharger on the hellcat. So not sure I agree with your ascertion that's it's a troublesome car to own.

19. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #19 threepedal, Jan 11, 2017
    "Common sense" is knowing how turbos work, & your Torque/turbo comments negated that!

Due to the FACT turbos take time to spool & torque is developed from the beginning of the rpm range, turbos have NO effect on torque TILL the turbo begins spooling.

You are confusing "Torque" & "Horsepower"...

Torque
    Before you even can consider horsepower you have to work your way through torque. Literally. Edmunds did a great write-up on the importance of torques a few years back, and an excerpt from these writings sums-up this power source perfectly: “The measurement of torque is stated as pound-feet and represents how much twisting force is at work. If you can imagine a plumber’s pipe wrench attached to a rusty drainpipe, torque is the force required to twist that pipe. If the wrench is two feet long, and the plumber pushes with 50 pounds of pressure, he is applying 100 pound-feet of torque (50 pounds x 2 feet) to turn the pipe.”

Torque is also is what moves you at lower speeds, so a car’s ability to jump off the line from a complete standstill all depends on how much torque it has, and to quote auto enthusiast extraordinaire Jay Leno, “Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.” However, once you get moving it is important to have less torque and more horsepower to maintain a high speed, which is why there is a huge differentiation between bottom-end and top-end power

On the high-end of the spectrum is horsepower, which is typically what people think of when they hear the phrase “performance vehicle.” Images of horses galloping across windswept plains, and a Ferrari stallion rearing its legs in defiance of all things commuter car-related come to mind, but when in reality this is nothing more than one giant marketing ploy. Horsepower is just as mathematical in nature as torque when you break it down to its fundamental design and execution, and horsepower basically picks up where torque leaves off.
    At its very simplest, one horsepower equals the amount of power it takes to perform 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute. According to an article in Hot Rod Magazine, this measurement of force was first discovered by an engineer in the 18th century by the name of James Watt, who observed that the amount of work performed by a horse that was operating a gear-driven mine pump could indeed be measured. Centuries later, we still use this same equation to measure an engine’s ability to create power at higher speeds, and is the surge in power we feel under throttle at increased velocity.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No my friend, I'm not confused on the matter at all. Torque is a measure of rotational force, pound-foot or NM. HP is the result of that twisting force. Higher the RPM the more HP is produced. But you can't just raise the redline on an engine. Thats not how engines work and therefore that was a silly comment.

And yes, Turbo charged engines do tend to produce more mid range torque and be lower reving. It wasn't until electric turbos and the like that anything different was possible. I could provide you countless examples but you can google them yourself. You writing me a dissertation on how I'm "wrong" (even though I wasn't) doesn't get you out of making such a comment.

21. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #21 threepedal, Jan 11, 2017
    In an attempt to be "kinder & gentler" & understanding the various nuances of just reading "words", I felt it best to delete my original response.

I can see how my comment of increased rpms could have ( was) been misconstrued or misinterpreted as simply raising rpms increases horsepower, so given my new found latitude for "missing my true meaning". I understand how things went a little sideways!

DAMN!!!!...I'm feeling ALL warm & fuzzy!!!...it won't last long ( insert smiley face & sarcasm icon)

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No worries, disagreements are a part of life.

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Well said and I hope you continue to have good service.

I agree with you on the service issues of the early hellcat. I hope they are engineered out of the newer models. We will see as the miles roll on.

Best

Lee

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Actually I think you are correct. HP is calculated by the society of mechanical engineers as

The square root of RPM times torque divided by a constant number. I think the constant 6453 but to be honest I have been retired a long time so I may have the constant number wrong.

This was the German standard set by Ernest Poole and became the international standard with a few tweaks in 2005.

Of course you will not benefit from the rpm increase unless you you change gearing.

This is why the Ferrari 458 red lines at 9500 revs. i.e get hp out of a small but well built motor. You also get better gas mileage if you are driving normally.

Best

Lee

25. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    Hello Lee; I understood & knew..."I was correct"...just decided to put down the metaphorical "whip" & quite beating a dead horse.

Appreciate your input & insight!

I have to go now & walk a old lady across the street in keeping with my new found "Kinder & Gentler" attitude!