Best F-1 Drivers Who Never Won Title | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Best F-1 Drivers Who Never Won Title

Discussion in 'F1' started by David Lind, May 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Elaborate please.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005

Donahue? When? His most notable F1 success was his one-off drive in the McLaren M19. By the time he returned(1974) he was past his peak, perhaps a legacy of his CanAm testing accident.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    agree...integrity should count for something, even in competition. In some ways, Pironi contributed to Gilles' death.

Regarding the list, for me it's Villeneuve, Moss and Cevert. There was a great article on Gilles in the April issue of 'Racer' regarding Gilles and his McLaren deal.

4. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Jacky Ickx.
    Ronnie Peterson
    Tony Brooks

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Launch and traction control when no team was supposed to have them. Plus MS then drove into Hill. At the time I did not consider this cheating but now in hindsight I do.

Pete

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I know, I know. But, Donohue was Penske's guy, and if he wasn't killed in 75, I think Penskes F1 effort would have been better. Maybe I just think of his accomplishments and feel he could have been a real contender for the title.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The world championship was not really around in Nouvalari's time... there was no real FIA at the time. he did win a lot of races and was a great driver. Had he lived much into the 1950's he would have been a great Champion - in stead Dr. Nino Farina was the first.

8. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Collins and Von Trips. I am reading "the Limit" now and what a book it is. They men where real men. They drove to live, and lived to drive.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #84 PSk, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    There was a championship, all that happened in 1950 is they labelled it Formula 1. Just like Bernie did not invent or save Formula 1 (*) there was a great series before Formula 1 ... and I encourage everybody to read a few books, etc. Oh and there were rules so the equivalent of the FIA ... read up about the Silver Arrows and you will find they came about because they were OVER weight and Mercedes scraped the paint off to get under the weight limit.

BTW his name is simply "Nuvolari".
    Pete
    * - all he did was make it cost a fortune for us spectators to be involved by realising he could make $'s by making the players and teams off limit. TV station's televising of F1 would have matured to where we are today because they chase profits and if F1 was what people wanted to watch they would show it

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

Any chance you can post that article on Gilles?

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I'm stunned that nobody has voted for Michael Andretti!

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Really - he finished 3rd one time and left F-1 a dismal failure..... sad end to a great driver's career.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Michael had great skill, speed and was a great in overtaking. He never possessed his father's indomitable will to succeed, to win. He was born into privilege unlike his dad. I think that he is a punk. His son Marco is worse.

14. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    375:

I had the chance to meet Michael after his final race at the Cleveland GP, and unexpectantly he was a gentleman and very kind to my then 10 year old son.
    Regarding Marco, I'm 100% in agreement with you and if his last name wasn't
    Andretti, he'd still be driving in the minor leagues because he did nothing to
    deserve an Indy car drive etc.....

Mark

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mark,

Appreciate your thoughtful response. I've met Michael on two occasions and he was less than cordial. Granted it could have something to do with the pressure cooker atmosphere at the race track. I have met Mario(a life long hero of mine) on many occasions and he has always been the consummate gentleman.

BP

16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    JPM, but I'm only a recent student of F1.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Rubens seems like a great guy, and he wins everywhere he goes. But he has never consistently beaten his team mate.
    I'm glad he's now racing in the US, and I'm cheering for him

18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Eddie was too much of a playboy to put F1 at #1 all the time in his life the way most champions do. And now? Eddie takes pot shots from the beach whilst sipping drinks with umbrellas in them. Like an elderly armchair quarterback, only he's far from eldery. Just washed up. :eek: