Best F1 overtakes of all time | FerrariChat

Best F1 overtakes of all time

Discussion in 'F1' started by subirg, Sep 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So… as per the title, what’s the best F1 overtake of all time?

Hakkinen vs Schumacher at Spa has to be a good candidate…

https://fb.watch/8jPPAgwRa0/

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If it's ONE SINGLE overtake only, Mansell on Senna in Hungary '89 wasn't shabby either.
    If it's one RACE, with more than one overtake by a driver, then Kimi at Suzuka in 2005.

Rgds

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    This is the best of them all, narrated by no less than James Hunt:

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And the best part (hard to see from that far) is nelson giving the middle finger to Senna while passing him, lololo

Bas and SimCity3 like this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

You can take your pick...i Kinda like the one over Arnoux at Monaco at St devote....he made most of the passes on the outside there, but that one on the inside was just something else...Arnoux got so stunned by it he let another car go by!
    Ps: Jones on the outside of Tarzan is also a classic, given that his Ferrari had lot less downforce compared to the Williams....

6. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Nico Rosberg overtaking Lewis Hamilton in the WDC standings, 2016.

Bas, Jeronimo GTO and furoni like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Max Verstappen Brazil 2016

The whole race was wet. He started P4. Got as high as P16 and ended the race P3.
    The overtakes in the wet were phenomenal!!!

He almost lost it but recovered quickly and on another time he completely lost it....slid sideways....recovered. He didn't hit anything.

There are YouTube videos of this.

colombo2cam, Bas, Senna1994 and 5 others like this.
  8. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    This. Suzuka 2005. Nando and Michael.

colombo2cam and 375+ like this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    mehhhh...

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the best would be Jim Clark at Monza 1965... stalled on the grid at pole... up to 1st place from last, flat tire, dropped back and back to 1st for the win. that's some overtaking.

Or , Jackie Stewart at Monza 1969 .... lots of overtaking.

Villeneuve 1979 dijon, .... on Arnoux... spectacular.

Michele Alboreato at Monaco 1985... excellent race to 2nd.

Senna Monaco 1984
    Senna Estoril 1985

There was F-1 way before 1990...

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Alboreto at Monaco 85 was probably his best race, i will never forget how sad i was he didn't win, that day he trashed Prost...

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    At one point he almost took away 2nd place from Nico Rosberg that would have handed the WDC to Hamilton who won the last 5 GP's in a Row. Thank goodness Max only finished 3rd and Nico got that 2nd.

Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I think you've got slightly confused there. Jackie Stewart won Monza 1965 in a BRM.

Jim Clark led from pole at Monza in 1967, lost a lap and got back into the lead before running out of fuel on the last lap. The race being won by John Surtees (Honda), a fraction ahead of Jack Brabham. But great though Clark's race was (arguably his greatest), the difficulty at Monza in those days was not in the overtaking, which was easy, pre-chicanes and pre-downforce.

FWIW I immediately recall two great overtakes I witnessed first hand at the first Spanish Grand Prix at Montmelo in 1991. One was Mansell passing Senna with sparks flying only an inch or two between them. That's well known because it was on TV. The other was Alesi passing Schumacher and a backmarker (I don't recall who) into the first corner with two wheels on the grass. That is unknown and unreported because the TV coverage missed it. Great overtaking doesn't only happen when the TV camera is pointing the right way!

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    One of the great duels of the modern era, it's what F1 should be all about.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    FWIW I immediately recall two great overtakes I witnessed first hand at the first Spanish Grand Prix at Montmelo in 1991. One was Mansell passing Senna with sparks flying only an inch or two between them. That's well known because it was on TV. The other was Alesi passing Schumacher and a backmarker (I don't recall who) into the first corner with two wheels on the grass. That is unknown and unreported because the TV coverage missed it. Great overtaking doesn't only happen when the TV camera is pointing the right way![/QUOTE]

You mean this one:

I like it too!

subirg and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of my favourite all time overtakes is in that race...Max passing Rosberg round the outside in T3. Extremely heavy rainfall, passing a Mercedes that's miles faster back then as if he's standing still...It's the speed difference that he carried that's just beautiful to watch:
    Lovely Overtake from Verstappen on Rosberg at Brazil 2016! - YouTube

Webber on Alonso in Eau Rouge:
    Webber's Breathtaking Move On Alonso At Eau Rouge - All The Angles | 2011 Belgium Grand Prix - YouTube

What I love about this overtake is the backstory behind it...Raikkonen tried several times to pass Michael on the Kemmel straight, but even with DRS, the Mercedes was way too fast in a straight line and Kimi couldn't pass. So he knew to get ahead, he needed to pass Michael after La source (DRS detection point was after this). He got ahead and had the DRS himself and then got the gap on Michael so he wouldn't get easily passed himself.
    "Classic Overtake: Raikkonen passes Schumacher into Eau Rouge" (formula1.com)

Another great overtake between these two...simply because of the respect of the two, if there was more than a centimeter to spare, but didn't even touch! Wonderful
    schumacher vs raikkonen brazil 2012 - YouTube

jgonzalesm6 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    We can see you're a you guy Bas :),lolo

18. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Max and Hamilton should watch the Schumacher v Raikkonen Brazil 2012 that Bas posted. That is wheel to wheel racing with respect to each other. Neither was giving an inch but they did allow room to the other when they had to.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm sure I'm confused... but regardless - Clark to go from last up to first then back down and back up... easy? think not. not to mention in the cars they drove back then..... I agree overtaking not always occurring with TV coverage - or even a photograper.

21. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Oh wow! Yes, that's it. That's the first time I've seen it in 30 years and great to see it is as I remember it.

I wasn't suggesting Clark's drive was easy. Far from it. But I was saying that overtaking at Monza in those days was easy and this thread is about great overtaking not great drives. If we were talking about great drives then that would be right up there without question.

Incidentally, I recommend the Ford film Nine Days In Summer covering the first season of the DFV engine with Lotus in 1967.

22. 'Still is......those special, magic moments, are still far and few between....... ;)

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

another Pearl from jean, he overtakes both Ferraris in the first lap, at Monza with a car that was at least 50hp down on the Ferraris.....not for everyone.

Bas likes this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Kimi at Suzuka 2005 last lap over Fisi.