"Best GT Car in the World." Stirling Moss 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione 2735GT. | FerrariChat

"Best GT Car in the World." Stirling Moss 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione 2735GT.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Sep 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    In 1986 whilst out riding my Suzuki GSXR 750 motor bike I was travelling through a small village called Cwmllynfell, near Ystradgynlais in the Swansea Valley of Wales, which is about 3 miles from my home town, I was exiting a corner and ahead of me is a 200 metre straight stretch of road with houses either side and at the other end of this straight is a bend which is where I saw something I was was stunned to see. It was a Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione in dark blue with contrasting white numberless roundels and white noseband mid bend coming towards me.

I immediately recognised it as a Rob Walker/Stirling Moss' car having read about them in magazines and also having seen what I now know to be the other one of the two raced by Moss, which is in the same colours, c/n 2119GT from 1960, at a Motor Show a few years before. I could see the whole of the stunning front of the car, with the wide and low wraparound windscreen, unmistakeable bonnet and its louvre, drooping curvaceous wings with open headlights at their ends, gaping radiator grille and its beautiful haunches at the rear. Even though I was on a noisy motorbike on full cam and with a full face helmet I could hear the beautiful sound of the engine echoing and bouncing off the walls of the houses on either side of the road. It really was an awesome sight and sound to behold. As it passed I looked back and could see the gorgeous fastback rump of the car and the large rear numberless roundel.

My sight of the car only lasted a few seconds but the excitement of seeing it literally took my breath away, and I'm not exaggerating. I was totally wrapped up and immersed in taking in its beauty and very aware that I was seeing something truly great that I almost lost control of the bike. I was a pretty good rider in those days so I recovered control very well. To this day I still kick myself that I hadn't turned around and followed it as I was aware that this was a once in a lifetime chance to see this incredible, historic car, but I try and justify my not seizing the opportunity to see the car and hear its engine note up close by thinking that the owner may not have appreciated it. My brother, after 26 years, still remembers my excitement when I got home and told him what I had seen.

I later discovered that at the time I saw s/n 2735GT, its owner Clive Beecham, who still owns the car today, was in Wales in the car with Ian Fraser of Supercar Classics magazine who was to write an article about it, which is excellent btw.

2735GT was also raced by 2 other very famous drivers. Before Stirling took 5 famous victories in 1961, including the Goodwood TT, he also raced it at Le Mans with the great and hugely charismatic, twice F1 World Champion, Graham Hill. It was later raced by the very talented Innes Ireland. The car has such an interesting history as it famously wore and was raced in a fabulous Drogo body for many years after Chris Kerrison crashed it, at the 1962 Goodwood TT, into John Surtees' 250 GTO and Jim Clark's Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato that had crashed out earlier in the race.

The car in recent years has been totally restored by Ferrari Classiche and its specification is as it left the factory in 1961. It is currently on display at the Ferrari Museum in Italy.

It's always a great occasion to see any Ferrari as I really do love them all, but to see a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta is something else again as it's such a hallowed car, so highly revered and rare it just never happens, but seeing and hearing this very famous Stirling Moss Ferrari in motion as I did, on the road so close to my doorstep was so amazing, I don't have the words to convey what a fabulous moment it was for me. Stirling has described the car as the "best GT car in the world." What an accolade from one of the best drivers ever in the history of Motor Sport.

The great man in the great car:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9L3pRV8Yss[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG6PkgktRI[/ame]

2. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    reading the ^^ article, so would the "first" 250 GT SWB that Moss drove in competition be the #2119 car?
    which is more accurate, to say that he drove that car for Rob Walker, or NART?

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    Yes, the first SWB that Moss drove was 2119GT in 1960. 2735 was entered at Le Mans in 1961 by NART with Stirling Moss and Graham Hill as the drivers. Its number was 18 but retired while leading the GT class due to a cooling fan blade severing the radiator hose? Further races by Moss in 2735 were entered by Rob Walker.

4. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i see, so NART for lemans, but there after under Rob Walker, thanks :)
    this was the quote from the above article (linked) ...so is it correct, that his very first 250 GT SWB (#2119) ever driven in competion was under Rob Walker? (if i'm reading that correctly?)

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I believe so but I'm sure if I'm wrong the experts will correct.

Here is the video of Le Mans 1961.

2735 can be seen at about 9.59, 13.40, 14.20, 16.35 and the man himself at 28.12.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx8IjMnceM8[/ame]

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    :) thanks

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #9 miurasv, Sep 16, 2012
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10 miurasv, Sep 16, 2012
  10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    From www.stirlingmoss.com

Very interesting what it says about the new 1961 Ferrari (2735). "The new 1961 Ferrari had bigger valves, different carburettors and a lighter body shell. With co-driver Graham Hill we ran as high as 3rd overall before retiring because of the lack of prepartation by the NART team."

Stirling's Ferrari race history here: http://www.stirlingmoss.com/node/703

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOvaKqhkhFk[/ame]

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYpLMY8jYh4&playnext=1&list=PL7AAE19DE5AA0D94A&feature=results_main[/ame]

14. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Very much enjoyed reading your story! Thanks!

Some good footage in these vids.

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My favorite SWB. Love how Stirling thought the car was so easy to drive he could concentrate on the radio, which he had turned on during the race so he could listen to the positions of the other drivers. Interesting he could even hear the radio, but that's the story...

16. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Nice videos. Thanks for sharing.

Best

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A quick way of telling the 2 Walker/Moss Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinettas apart is that 2119GT has bumpers and 2735GT does not.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There is brief colour footage of Stirling in 2735GT racing with Mike Parkes (2417GT) at the 1961 Goodwood TT in Alain de Cadenet's great Ferrari video, Victory By Design. The subject of the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta starts at about 25.20 where Alain is seen driving s/n 2335GT. Then at about 26.15 the footage with 2735GT starts and Alain talks about how he once owned it and he deeply regrets selling it.

Link to Victory By Design: Ferrari: http://www.streetfire.net/video/victory-by-design-ferrari_2046956.htm

19. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Slightly off topic, but I love the story Alain tells in the Alfa Romeo episode of Victory By Design, about his 'back in the day' desire for a then new Alfa TZ1, which he could not afford, having to make do with *sigh* a used 250GTO, remarking that, ironically, today you could purchase the entire production run of TZ1's for less than the value of one GTO.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #21 miurasv, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  21. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    great stuff Steve :) ..i love reading & learning about individual cars and thier histories!

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    2735GT seen being raced by Stirling on a number of occasions in this footage.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjbyoWhMYs&list=UUphJhZ7oMUdyfPChAIO5N2w&index=8&feature=plcp[/ame]

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson