Best Products To Use On Single Stage Paint | FerrariChat

Best Products To Use On Single Stage Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have a 1989 328 GTB. The car is in superb condition. As it is all original I want to maintain it the best way possible while also being careful not to overly work the paint. I would appreciate some thoughts on the best products (waxes, polishes, applications) for single stage paint from this era. Also, I would love thoughts on modern coatings and if they should be applied to single stage paint. Thank you.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I would argue strongly that Zaino is best.

That's a controversial recommendation because Zaino is pretty old technology compared to the newest ceramic coatings. That said, Zaino, on the color red specifically, can't be beat visually (IMO) and it is super durable (when used with the ZFX catalyst). Although Zaino is extremely durable (it will last a very long time), it is not that great of a "protector". In other words, bird droppings will etch through Zaino rather easily whereas the new ceramic coatings are much better at actually protecting paint from the elements. If it's going to be out in the elements or left outside a lot, then maybe Zaino isn't the best because it doesn't protect that much. Since it's a 328, I assume it will not be in the elements and I don't think anything beats the look or durability of Zaino on red paint (single stage or clear coat). Zaino actually offers two different final coat polishes -- one for single stage (Z3) and one for clear coat (Z2) -- though I have difficulty distinguishing between Z2 and Z3 in actual use. It does take many layers to get that look with Zaino, but it's largely a one-time investment of time and then you can just add layers as seasonal treatments later.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Adding to the above, I think Z2 (single stage polish) is designed to be less breathable so that it provides more a clear-coat-like protection layer.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Single stage paint most important process is polish...when polished correctly..wax or any other substance just adds swirl marks..
    Find a fine polish and then find a finer polish..1 coat of carnuba will suffice as top coat.

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you really want a perfect finish..get a 3 inch random orbital polisher and take each fender 1 at a time.griots has a rebranded portacable polisher and then watch polishing videos on youtube..I self taught myself years ago...
    The paint is soft so start with fine and go finer..that way very little paint is removed...just the opposite of clear coat process.