Best tyres for my F12 | FerrariChat

Best tyres for my F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Escapist, Jun 22, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Bangkok, Cotswolds, Sitges, Dordogne
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I started asking on another thread but it was a little confused with other questions.

I have recently bought an F12. It has Pirelli P Zeros. I can’t see any homologation marks but I assume they are the Ferrari version. They are the new P Zeros I also assume and they are very assymetrical in tread.

The issue is they are very noisy. By noise I mean road noise on smooth and coarse road and every bump is a judder.

I’d like to change them to a smoother, quieter tyre. I read the new Michelin P S 4 S is the best option but:

a. My local dealer refuses to fit them as they are not homologated to the F12 - probably be Kae the6 didn’t exist at the time - and surges the old Michelin K2 tyre and,

b. As my current tyres aren’t worn out yet, if I get the Michelin 4S tyres fitted is there a noticeably quieter ride over the new Pirelli P Zero tyres to warrant the change?

2. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    EDITED: Any F12 owners please help!

I started asking on another thread but it was a little confused with other questions.

I have recently bought an F12. It has Pirelli P Zeros. I can’t see any homologation marks but I assume they are the Ferrari version. They are the new P Zeros I also assume and they are very assymetrical in tread.

The issue is they are very noisy. By noise I mean road noise on smooth and coarse road and every bump is a judder.

I’d like to change them to a smoother, quieter tyre. I read the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is the best option but:

a. My local dealer refuses to fit them as they are not homologated to the F12 - probably because the 4 S didn’t exist at the time - and suggests the old Michelin K2 tyre and,

b. As my current tyres aren’t worn out yet, if I get the Michelin 4S tyres fitted is there a noticeably quieter ride over the new Pirelli P Zero tyres to warrant the change???

3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I'm no expert on the F12 but I believe that if you want an alternative to the Pirellis then Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the answer. Your dealer should be more than happy to fit them for you as they are K rated.

The K rated tyres are different to non K rated so your dealer isn't being difficult for the sake of it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks and yes, agreed from my point of view, however, Dick Lovett, my nearest dealer refuse to fit the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S (new model) and will only fir the old K2 Michelin Super Sport, which would be a step backwards.

Hence I have to got to another dealer and I'm trying to find out HOW MUCH of an improvement the new Michelin 4S tyres will give me. I'm hoping to find someone who has switched from Pirelli P Zero tyres to the new Michelins.....

Anyone know?

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    P0 tires sure are noisy. I can't even hear myself think with P0 on coarse road.

What's this k rating you have all just mentioned?

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Dick Lovett (what a name... lol) is right.
    The Pirellis (PZ4) are a bit noise, but they are tremendous in terms of grip!!!

7. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do you know if the Michelin PS S 4 is much quieter and worth switching to? It’s got great grip too but my priority is to reduce the cabin noise as I want the F12 as a grand tourer.

8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Have you seen this?

subjective comparison review between the MPSS and MPS4S. I don't think it gives you much comparison vs the Pirellis but I don't think the MPSS gives too much away to the MPS4S.
    And I seem to recall that most Fchatters find the MPSS quieter than the P0.

9. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have seen this and for me its a clear win for the new MPS4S tyre, especially as its much quieter. I'm really just looking to know if the MPS4S is that much quiter than the current Pirellis to justify chucking away the Pirellis!

10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The MPS4S is so new that I don't think anyone has made the switch yet. So maybe you'll have to take one for all Fchatters, make the change yourself and report back!

But as I mentioned earlier, the consensus seems to be that the MPSS is quieter than the P0. So the MPS4S should be even quieter...

11. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I might well do that.

Considering my local dealer refuses to fit them, I’m considering using my local Land Rover dealer to do it but my only concern is if it’s a straight forward tyre swap or if there is any proprietary Ferrrari fitting knowledge needed when connecting back up things like the MPSS system.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The fitting process should be the same as the MPSS. For better results the tires can be filled with nitrogen starting with the standard MPSS F12b pressures rear 2,0 bar, front 2,2 bar, which you can adjust later, and than be calibrated individually.

deltona likes this.
  13. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks.

According to another dealer, the fitting process is quite easy - fit, tighten to 100 n/lb of torque then run around the block and check the toque again.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Are you sure the Michelins are actually available for the F12 in MP4S ?

A quick read suggests the fronts are but not the rears & VV for the MP4 so their site suggests MPSS

15. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    VV?

Sizes I see are 255/35 VR 20 and 315/35 VR 20

16. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Bruinisse, the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    I would like to know this as well, the fronts are available in MPS4S, but as far as I can see Michelin does not make the MPS4S in the rear size 315/35, closest I can find is the 305/35, which is the same as the recommended wintersize, but these are "greyed"out on their website, and none of the tyre shops here show them in stock.

I have really good experience with the MPS4S on the 458, so I would like to do the same on the F12, but it seems not to be possible at this time.

https://www.michelin.nl/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #19 Il Co-Pilota, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Get the MPSS K2 spec tyres. They are still a nice bit above the PZ4 tyres.

If you can find them, you could opt for the MPS4S in the 812 spec. Yes, they do exist but are a bit hard to find. Those are 315 in the rear and 275 front. Give me a day or so and I'll dig up the part numbers if you're interested.

At any rate, don't go with the non-oe 305 section rears. The last thing the F12 needs is less traction in the rear. As one is K spec and the other is not, there's no direct comparison. You might end up with a tyre with a harder and less grippy compound, and that is not what you want. Generally speaking, the difference between the MPSS and MPS4S is not night and day, i.e the MPSS is still an awesome tyre, and there's no guarantee that a non-oe MPS4S will be better. K spec vs. K spec, I'd choose the MPS4S in an instant, but not so when it is K vs. non-K.

The 812 spec MPS4S would be a nice choice.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Depends on the driving conditions. The Michelins tend to need less warming, but the PZ4s are better under pressure.

19. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    I agree I would not like to put the 305 size on my car as well, if this is the case then I will go for the MPSS all a round, I would appreciate if you could find the 812 part numbers for the tyres, the owners manual for those cars only states the Pirelli tyres.

Tyres are personal preference, but I feel more comfortable on the road in any condition wet or dry while on Michelin rubber, bike wise I use Pirelli.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed.

The part numbers are.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 812 Superfast Spec.

275/35 ZR20 102ZWY XL K1.
    P/n Michelin R-374214

315/35 ZR20 (110Y) XL K1
    P/n Michelin R-374216

Fronts seem pretty easy to come by, but rears are nowhere to be found.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    For my using, Pirelli P Zero CORSA system, a kind of schwin gum
    Front s F 12 is 255 , and not 275 like TDF or 812 , be aware !

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is it possible your car has run flat tires fitted? I think Pirelli and Michelin also offered run flat versions of these tires- that would make them ride harder and produce more road noise. I would get either MPSS or MPS4S for your car. She's a beauty!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jaap

Thanks for the reply, I did a bit of "Googling" and got a few hits on various tyre shops, but none in stock ( around 450€ a piece) so I have sent a message to Michelin and asked if this tyre has been taken out of production.

I will reply here when I have received an answer.