Best value in vintage Ferrari's today? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Best value in vintage Ferrari's today?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chicane, Jan 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    The Maserati Ghibli is very nice and I even like the Bora for that era, but Lambo? No way.

2. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Art,

Like Michael said, quite different rides. Assuming there is another TY appreciation fest and you can make the trip I'll let you take the wheel....scary thought, but I trust yah. You'll notice a big difference :>)

Sam

3. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    If you are speaking of the car that looks like a 400i, the looks just don't appeal to me.

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The Ghibli is about the only Maserati that borders on the collectability of vintage Ferrari's and even then it struggles - excluding the 120-odd Spiders. Bora? You have got to be kidding. It's a great performer and well ahead of anything Ferrari was doing at the time (mid engined V-8, glass engine cover, full hydraulic controls et al), but the car gets no respect. Maybe if they did not have that odd stainless steel roof and Citroen DNA, ...

No, the Lambos are truly the way to go. We missed the 350GT, 400GT and 400GT 2+2 wave. The Islero and Jarama are next, esp. the S models. In a few years, you will be sorry you did not pick up a set today for the pitance they cost. If I had the garage space, I would run the table - one each, except for a 400GT which is $$$ due to 40 copies being made.

Yes, they cannot hold a candle to the Ferrari vintage cars - I'm no idiot :D - but they represent an investment opportunity I missed years ago when I could have had a 275 or 330 for cheap money.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sam,

I look forward to it!

Stu,

Sorry Stu, the pretty ones are getting pricy ;) .

Regards,

Art S.

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd say that in many ways the early Lambos represent a leap in technology over the Ferraris of the same era. If we were to compare apples to apples, then the 400GT 2+2 is technically miles ahead of the 330 2+2. Of course, pricewise, the 350/400GT ship sailed a while back.

Jaramas arent my thing, but I feel a well maintained Islero or Espada represent a great value at $50-$90K. And with a basket case Miura pushing $350,000, who knows how long the bargains will last.

Beauty, of course, is subjective, and I know that others will disagree.

P.S. If I had less than $100,000 to spend only on a Ferrari, I'd probably pick a well restored 365 2+2. I'm really not sure if anything else is left in this price range.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Most of us love the old road Ferraris for their V12 engines-- more precisely, the fact that they sound and behave much like the engines that went into Ferrari's race cars. There are only two things that the Lamborghini engine has in common with the Ferrari engine: (1) it is Italian and (2) it has 12 cylinders. That is where the comparison stops.

In spite of the fact that in 1966 the Lambo engine was more advanced technically, a Lambo engine never has sounded or behaved like its counterpart. For this, Lamborghini can never really quench it.

john

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    What do you mean "getting"?
    I think maybe I'll just wait until a perfect 250 2+2 comes up for $50,000 :(

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Agreed, the Bizzarrini 4-Cam V-12 is far more advanced! He, he! ;^)

I must confess, that the best sounding car I ever owned was my 6 carb Lusso. That, and it's looks, were it's main qualities.

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Do you miss it at all?

john

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    When you carbed-up your Lusso did you make any other modifications (cams, exhaust, etc)? Did you give up any tractability? I'm thinking of doing the same to my 330GTC is why I'm curious.

Thanks!
    Jack

12. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Indeed I do! It was a close call, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

13. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    $55k could have got you this 69 Lambo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130075351349&rd=1,1

14. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    So I've been casually looking for a 330 among other things for a while, and I am frankily, pretty frustrated as I can't find any decent, consistent places to look. Any pointers on places to watch?

15. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI

Try Kerry Chesbro's website www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/

16. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Thanks.

I obviously am not ready to buy one yet. Seems like drivers quality 330 series II's vary in price from about $80k to $130k. I understand matching numbers, service history, rust, original colors, etc. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why the prices vary so much.

I'm looking for a series II that I can drive. I don't really want a car painted a non orignial color, and I would like for any resto work to have already been done. Doesn't need to be concourse as I want to drive it. I would take red, black, silver, or white.

Am I going to be able to find such a car at or near $80k?

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Matt,

The reason for the wide price range is because the market on these is moving really fast and the vehicles' condtion varys.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. How familiar with these cars are you? If you are in the NJ area this spring and the logistics work out, I could take you for a spin and see if you still like them.

18. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    So for a 330 what are you saying 130K buys you concourse and 80K is about a 6-7?

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Well, about a year ago, I looked at an visually excllent 330 2+2 red 2-headlight car at Steve Harris in Salt Lake City. The asking price was $65, but there was some question as to the condition of the motor. The car sold within a week for $60 or $65.......so yes, even if you had to spend $20 on a motor, you would still be in the $85 price range....

20. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    What were the potential issues with the motor? No service history?

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    It was disussed here at the time.

Here is one of the post I found from me to Bill Noon, who knew the car
    ...it was $70, not $60.....

....BTW, Harris just sold the 330 GT 2+2...I was interested, but there ARE motor problems, and they were asking $70,000 as is...

They wouldn't tell me who the new buyer is, but that he also bought a 400I (or a Mondial) at the same time, and is Colorado.

Sean Harris said that the buyer is going to totally rebuild the motor in the 330 GT 2+2. I didn't drive the car, but it had a little whitish-blue oil/water smoke out of both banks on start up...

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
  23. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Art-

I have been casually looking at them for a year. I know the differences between the Series I and II and the transition cars. but I still have a lot to learn. If I found one I was interested in, I would definately lean hard on some people I trust to evaluate it.

As a minor league race car driver, I know cars. Just not this one specifically.

I have a friend who owns a series I, and I know I like them.

Best,
    Matt

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Matt,

I've posted this before but I highly recommend poking around www.tomyang.net there is a huge amount of info on these cars there.

Regards,

Art S.

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Chicane,

I was nesponding to Matt's question asking why series 2 drivers were listed at such a wide range of prices. These prices are for cars listed as drivers. Concourse is significantly more (there's one in england now).

Regards,

Art S.