Better brakes for the Countach | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Better brakes for the Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Chadbourn Bolles, May 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah Lamborghini didn't beleive in vacuum pump assist for the braking system even though with all of that enormous intake capacity there is often scant vacuum build up available after a long hard braking situation followed by enormous acceleration hence no vacuum and then a need for a lot of brakes again. That's not typical road conditions but very typical track conditions. Some people have added them to their cars though that of course violates originality guidelines ... :p.

First bite can be a function of both the type of pad and the amount of boost available. Clearly you can easily do something about changing the style of pads. Making sure the brake booster and vacuum system is up to snuff or BETTER with an assist pump will also help. Some Espada guys have added used ones from a much later Audi as an example. Perhaps that can be well hidden on a Countach? I didn't know that the early TRs also used these apparently ubiquitous ATE calipers. Do they have the same piston dimensions?

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Joe, if you're going quote me to buttress your point please include the entire quote in it's context. :)

Carbon fiber rotors and floating racing calipers would of course be enormous improvements but might butcher the car's potential for originality in the process.

Hard for me to imagine very many people now driving something as old as a Countach in ways that require that sort of a setup. But lots of guys used to do stuff like that years ago and go speeding in Nevada! :D
    I know one guy who actually drove a heavily modified QPIII and tried to keep up on one of those "outings" ! An aerodynamic brick trying to achieve 190 MPH. Plenty were nuts back then! Different age ...

3. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #53 rmolke85, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    A fully sorted system with some redstuff, and ATE Gold fluid really should be enough of a modern upgrade from period to feel a large difference. Not to mention now we can get modern rubber on original spec tires for our rims. No one mentions why the Pzero never fit, but the Anny wheeels are much different than the old OZ wheels..... Flawed day one.

The trick to make it all hang together is to do a perfect bedding in process of brakes. Is you spend the time to do it right, the difference in performance would be really noticeable to one that was just driven normally day one. Can’t stress that enough either.

And my next question would be do the new rotors employ modern metal composite? I would assume so. If that’s the case, then we’re really cooking with gas.

Lastly anyone out there make stainless braided lines? Last piece that would really help with pedal feel.

Just go get your brakes rebuilt and get new tires.

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Countach QV Downdraft used by Steve Cropley in the CAR magazine test versus the Testarossa was a 1985 model year car, the brakes are same as LP500S.

I don't have pre and after 1987 pedal assembly images, sorry.

I'll be sure to do that.

This

5. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    The mount for the brake pedal is the same for the 5000S thru the 25th car. The pedal for the 5000S is 4213615 The pedal for the 87 QV car is 4225164, the pedal for the 25th car is 4228350. Those are the differences. Now for the clutch, from the 5000S thru the 25th car the pedal mount is the same. The clutch pedal for the 5000S is 4213616, the pedal for the 87 QV car is 4225163, the pedal for the 25th car is 4228348.