Better looking 250 TR - pontoon or non-pontoon? | FerrariChat

Better looking 250 TR - pontoon or non-pontoon?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by zjpj, Jul 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

which do you like better?

1. pontoon

2. non-pontoon

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I like the looks of the later models, but the pontoon fenders do look very striking.

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The pontoon fender cars do not really have a superior racing history, so I don't know why they are that much more valuable.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    As NNO would say, this is really one thread where pictures are 100% required :D

Pete

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Ok, I took these of a pontoon yesterday.
    The color is beautiful. The rear is beautiful; I absolutely love the flared exhaust. The front is growing on me the more I see it in person.

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Second row of thumbnails, left three shots.

http://www.fca-houston.org/TWS97.htm

Carlos Hanks' 250 TR.

(The GTO 64 (5575) is also Hanks'.)

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    0666 in zjpj's shots is the first pontoon-fendered 250, yes?

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Correct, as the prototype. 666 was a 290 MM into which Ferrari dropped a 250 drive train.

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's the first V-12 prototype. But not, I don't think, the first pontoon fendered TR. I think that would be the 4 cylinder chasis 0704, which they fiddled around with for the 1957 Le Mans race. They lengthened the chasis from 88.5 to 92.5 inches and added the Scaglietti bodystyle. So, I'm assuming they also put in a V-12. It was a single cam engine. The car weighed 1700 pounds at race time.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Zach,

I think you've got some of the histories of 0600 MDTR, the first four-cylinder TR (later modified to a pontoon-fender car) and 0704, pictured here, mixed up. I don't know of any indication that 0704 was ever a four-cylinder TR. (It is true, however, that the chassis of a 290 MM and a four-cylinder 860 Monza are essentially identical.)

Collectively I think the Brians are right.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Old Guy,

Right, I'm not saying 0666 was ever a 4 cylinder car. I'm saying I don't think it was the first pontoon fender TR. But the one that was the first pontoon fender TR (0704) was made from a 4 cylinder chasis.

Here’s the history, as I understand it. The car I photographed was the first prototype, chasis 0666. It was based on a 1956 290 MM RHD chasis. It had a 92.5 wheelbase. The second prototype was 0704, which was made to race in Le Mans in 1957. This car was made from a modified 4-cylinder chasis 0704. The chasis was lengthened and a pontoon fendered Scaglietti body was added. This second prototype did well at first but then had to drop out of Le Mans.

As has been pointed out in recent discussions here on F-Chat, these vintage cars didn’t retain their original configurations throughout their lives. 0666 definitely was not originally with pontoon fenders. You can see pictures of it in 1957 without that body. Both prototypes got different engines as their design was honed. If you look at pictures of 0666 in Buenos Aires for the 1958 World Sports Car Championship it does have the pontoon fenders by then. So, the first two prototypes were 0666 and 0704. And I believe 0704 was the first to get the Scaglietti bodywork.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Zach,

I just realized that what I wrote was incorrect -- I had 0666 on my mind from yesterday and wasn't reading well...too much time on an airplane today.

Sorry....

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay I voted Pontoon ... awesome looking, and after all in classic racing it is not who is fastest but who has the most fun :D

Pete